News   Apr 30, 2024
 228     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Video on the improvements we've seen at Sheppard Yonge:

The finishes in the mezzanine remain as unattractive as ever..........one of less appealing colour schemes beige and blue could work.....but wrong shade of both, and not great tile choice either.

Be that as it may..........I'm intrigued by the new Starbucks; while they are not my coffee purveyor of choice, the precedent of having a 'nice' coffee shop inside a subway station is a positive one, and one I would like to see replicated
at other busy stations throughout the system.

April 11, 2019
Board Meeting Agenda and Reports

From link.
  1. TTC Recognized as One of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers
  2. Approved Minutes of the Advisory Committee on Accessible Transit (ACAT) General Monthly Meeting for January 31, 2019
  3. Update on Benefits Fraud Labour Arbitration Cases (This report contains information about labour relations or employee negotiations and advice that is subject to solicitor-client privilege)
  4. Bylaw to Govern TTC Board Meeting Proceedings – Update (Supplemental Report) (Referred from January 10, 2019 meeting (Deferred from February 27, 2019 meeting)
  5. Response to the TTC Board’s Proposal for a Joint Meeting of the TTC and Metrolinx Boards
  6. Making Lansdowne Station Accessible
  7. Malvern Garage – Hoist Replacement in Bus Repair Area
  8. Temporary Customer Service Assistance
  9. Line 2 East Extension (Formerly Scarborough Subway Extension) – Purchase Order Authorization Amendment
  10. Financial Update for the Year Ended December 31, 2018 and Major Projects Update
  11. Fare Policy Changes: PRESTO Tickets
  12. Routing Changes – Junction Area Study
  13. City Council Transmittals – Executive Committee Item 3.1 Engagement with the Province on Toronto’s Transit System – Q1 2019 Status Report, Executive Committee Item 3.12 Save Our Subway – Ensuring Torontonians Know the Facts
  14. Results of the King Street Transit Pilot
  15. City of Toronto Report – EX4.1: Toronto’s Transit Expansion Program – Update and Next Steps
  16. Automatic Train Control Re-Baselining and Transit Systems Engineering Review
  17. Line 1 Capacity Requirements - Status Update and Preliminary Implementation Strategy
  18. Line 1 State-of-Good Repair Capital Works
  19. Subway Closures – 2018 Review and 2019 Forecast
  20. Automatic Train Control Consultant Contract Amendment
  21. Notice of Motion – Request for Report on Policies Regarding the Collection of Personal Information
  22. Notice of Motion – Implementation of a Bus Service Pilot Project – Village Green Square
  23. Notice of Motion – Wheel Flats & Noise Issues on Line 2,
  24. Notice of Motion – Feasibility of Adding Leslie Street Stop to 953 Steeles East Express
  25. Correspondence – Providing Bus Service to Residents in the Stanley Greene Neighbourhood

I'm intrigued by the new Starbucks; while they are not my coffee purveyor of choice, the precedent of having a 'nice' coffee shop inside a subway station is a positive one, and one I would like to see replicated at other busy stations throughout the system.

There's also been a Second Cup inside Eglinton for as long as I can remember.

"Third busiest subway station" as per the vid. Wow, can that be referenced?

https://www.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/Subway ridership 2016.pdf

The ~125,000 figure (which adds up ridership on the two subways and the buses) is kinda dumb because most bus/Sheppard subway passengers are transferring to the Yonge subway or a bus. It's got a good 85,000-90,000 passengers though, which makes it and Finch the fourth- and fifth-busiest stations.

Information on

Fare Policy Changes: PRESTO Tickets

at this link.

This report recommends four fare policies which will support the transition to PRESTO.​
The first establishes the pricing model for limited-use PRESTO Tickets which looks to uphold PRESTO fare pricing principles and encourage PRESTO card adoption (e-Purse and passes). Those seeking a single fare option will be able to use PRESTO Tickets to pay their fare on all modes, gain access through fare gates and benefit from the two-hour transfer available on PRESTO.​
The second policy establishes the specified expiry date for PRESTO Tickets while the third seeks to establish an exchange policy for PRESTO Tickets that are unused past their expiry date.​
We also introduce the Day Pass PRESTO Ticket for infrequent TTC customers or those anticipating multiple trips in a day, beyond those covered with the two-hour transfer.​
Recommendations
It is recommended that the Board:​
Approve the following fare policies as outlined in the Comments section in this report:​
1. Allow for PRESTO one-ride and two-ride Tickets to be priced as a single fare, equivalent to the adult cash price​
2. Allow the sale of a Day Pass PRESTO Ticket as follows:​
a. valid for one (1) person entry;​
b. valid for unlimited travel between the hours of 3:00 a.m. until 2:59 a.m. the following business day;​
c. price aligned with legacy TTC Day Pass; and​
d. available for use any day of the week, including statutory holidays​
3. Allow for PRESTO Tickets to expire as follows:​
a. in 90 days after purchase for those purchased at subway stations (Fare Vending Machines [FVMs]), Shoppers Drug Mart (retail channels), TTC Customer Service; and​
b. in one (1) year after issue for bulk purchases​
4. Allow for exchanges to be provided for expired and unused PRESTO Tickets as follows:​
a. exchanges for valid fare of equal value; and​
b. exchanges up to one (1) year after expiry only​

There's also been a Second Cup inside Eglinton for as long as I can remember.

The ~125,000 figure (which adds up ridership on the two subways and the buses) is kinda dumb because most bus/Sheppard subway passengers are transferring to the Yonge subway or a bus. It's got a good 85,000-90,000 passengers though, which makes it and Finch the fourth- and fifth-busiest stations.
That's not a fair metric, by that logic, Bloor Yonge isn't the busiest station because everyone is transferring between lines 1 & 2, and other stations such as St George, Union (~20K for waterfront streetcars, another 50-70K from GO), Kennedy, Finch (it has a huge GO terminal and is the terminus for dozens of YRT & TTC bus routes), Eglinton etc are no longer "busy" and almost all stations with a bus terminal or streetcar route serving the station lose half their ridership.

Dundas would probably be the busiest station followed by either St Andrew or St Patrick by sheer walking passengers, then Union, then all three north York stations (Most likely Sheppard Yonge, Finch, North York Centre).

Those numbers indicate how many people get on and off of the trains at those particular stations. No more, no less.

You are correct in stating that the ~125,000 figure is misleading, because it is double-counting a pretty significant number of people twice. There is some proportion of people that take the Sheppard Subway and leave the subway system there. And there is a bigger proportion of people that get off of the Yonge Line and exit the subway system there. But the vast majority of the people who get off of the Sheppard Line trains are going down the stairs and getting on a Yonge Subway train.

Dan

Has anyone seen the ugly and oversized interior display signs in any buses? I saw it along Sheppard West yesterday and maybe it is only half activated, but there was a lot of empty and wasted space on that thing. I wish I could've gotten a photo but my kid was being needy.

^ Or the ceiling covering in some of the CLRV's? It's a stick-on film running the whole length of the car and the complete width of ceiling of pictures of disposed packaging that should be recycled. It's from the City of Toronto.

That ad should be recycled. It's plastic waste of the worst kind. The hypocrisy is astounding, and it's *visual pollution* such that it creates a claustrophobic intrusion into my and others' right to a peaceful ride.

What next? Advertising on toilet paper when you use public washrooms? At least you'd get to wipe feces on it...recycle that.

^ Or the ceiling covering in some of the CLRV's? It's a stick-on film running the whole length of the car and the complete width of ceiling of pictures of disposed packaging that should be recycled. It's from the City of Toronto.

That ad should be recycled. It's plastic waste of the worst kind. The hypocrisy is astounding, and it's *visual pollution* such that it creates a claustrophobic intrusion into my and others' right to a peaceful ride.

What next? Advertising on toilet paper when you use public washrooms? At least you'd get to wipe feces on it...recycle that.
That ceiling cover has the secondary effect of plugging leaks when it rains.

The hypocrisy is astounding, and it's *visual pollution* such that it creates a claustrophobic intrusion into my and others' right to a peaceful ride.
Visual pollution? I thought it looked pretty cool.

Coincidentally, I was sitting on one of those streetcars with my 6-year old yesterday afternoon, and we were looking at it, and talking about it.

Whether or not advertising in general is a waste of resources is a different discussion - but this one in particular seemed quite effective.

That ceiling cover has the secondary effect of plugging leaks when it rains.
And providing a disposable plastic protection from hair grease from tall people.
but this one in particular seemed quite effective
I take it you disposed of it in a green and conscientious way?

"Effective" It was only the fourth or fifth time seeing them that I finally figured out what it was all about. I thought it was a giant ad for all the products displayed. Mind you, advertising doesn't program me the way it does some others...

Back