News   May 07, 2024
 567     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 409     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 350     0 

TTC: Automatic Train Control and Subway Platform Screen Doors

Well don't forget about the labour laws in those.countries which are lax comparing to here. I kind of wanna here how many workers got injured in those 9 hrs
my guess is just as much as here in toronto. In fact id say they are much better at things than we are considering they are able to muster and coordinate 1200 workers at once.
Here we need 3 ppl to supervise 1 worker. if you look closely at the vid, EVERYONE is doing something productive, not just lounging around with coffee and shooting the wind as
seen daily on TTC sites. were just a lazy society in general.

In japan they managed to reconfigure an entire station to different grades overnight:

That video doesn't mention the 3+ years of construction that had to happen before they got to that point. Not unlike what happens here.

In China they built an entire station in 9 hours

Source?

Are they working at night at the moment? How many people are working on the tunnels when they have the chance to? How long does it actually take them to do each 1km? You can excuse their lack of determination and pace all you want but face it; work on any north american project is just plain inefficient. Were not even talking about Line 2! Theyve had 11(!!!!!!) years to do this and they still go at snails pace. The longer they drag it out the more expensive its going to be.

To the best of my knowledge, there are 3 crews assigned to installation work. And yes, they work almost every night, and weekends.

I'm not excusing anything. I'd like to see it done tomorrow as well. But I'm not so naive as to think that this is as easy as building with Lego. It's not.

Then the question to ask is: how long would it have taken if given an uninterupted work window (i.e not keep the trains running)? If it's say 2-4 weeks, 24hr uninterupted, then maybe the answer would be to close the line for that amount of time. Obviously that would result in hell on the surface for commuters. But if done in August, would there have been benefit vs the rolling closures we're dealing with. Was this ever considered? Maybe such can be done when Line 2 is tackled.

Obviously shutting it down will be a lot quicker, but how long would it take? I don't know. But there's also the fact that shutting down the Yonge Subway at rush hour would take hundreds and hundreds of buses - and even more drivers - to operate the shuttle service. And the shutting down of Yonge Street. Is that kind of headache necessary?

Dan

To the best of my knowledge, there are 3 crews assigned to installation work. And yes, they work almost every night, and weekends.

I'm not excusing anything. I'd like to see it done tomorrow as well. But I'm not so naive as to think that this is as easy as building with Lego. It's not.

Dan
how many are in each crew? how productive are they really? If its what ive been seeing on the ECT sites daily I wouldnt exactly call them being productive.
I'm not trying to say do it tomorrow either or even in 1 year, but this is seriously just milking it way too long.

Comon theyve had 10 years to do just 1 line and they dont even have 1/2 a line. Sure it takes time but 10 freakn years is just not acceptable to anyone. Its not like they have hundreds of km. to do.
In 10 years they can make a whole new subway line or 2 if this was anywhere else (shanghai made over 10).

Honestly, I’d be okay with uploading if the province as part of the rebranding, took on all the SOGR work and equipped every station with platform doors and full automatic train control throughout the network.

Steve Munro confirms with TTC that the Scarborough subway extension will not be built to use Automatic Train Control. ATC will need to be added later. (No platform edge doors, either.)

https://stevemunro.ca/2019/04/04/torontos-omnibus-transit-report-part-i/

This is the reason why transit projects are always subpar and over priced. They know that ATC and PEDs will be coming soon system wide yet they choke on it when they have the upfront opportunity
to build at cost. That bit of the PEDs...why are they still studying it? Theve had years to study it, what more is there to do?????!!!!!! (study=shelve indefinitely until the next election)

Let see if the upload will change the scope of work

This is the reason why transit projects are always subpar and over priced. They know that ATC and PEDs will be coming soon system wide yet they choke on it when they have the upfront opportunity
to build at cost.

And if they build in new stuff, the cost goes up and the folks who already oppose the project get another stick to beat them with. The bigger problem here is that nobody is willing to concede on their transit vision. If Ford loses, and there's no shovels in the ground in Scarborough, we'll probably see a reversal again.

PEDs and ATC would have happened on the SSE if they were going to do the whole of Line 2 at the same time.

And if they build in new stuff, the cost goes up and the folks who already oppose the project get another stick to beat them with. The bigger problem here is that nobody is willing to concede on their transit vision. If Ford loses, and there's no shovels in the ground in Scarborough, we'll probably see a reversal again.

Ford doesn't necessarily need shovels in the ground. He could put the funds into a trust account controlled by the city which may only be used for a single project with a specific description. Spadina was prefunded by the province (federal portion took a while) due to having a bit of a surplus and wanting to book the capital expense against that year.

Transit problems in Toronto have struggled with the funding step; although the IO process is ridiculously drawn out too (more recently).

Ford doesn't necessarily need shovels in the ground. He could put the funds into a trust account controlled by the city which may only be used for a single project with a specific description. Spadina was prefunded by the province (federal portion took a while) due to having a bit of a surplus and wanting to book the capital expense against that year.

Transit problems in Toronto have struggled with the funding step; although the IO process is ridiculously drawn out too (more recently).

I don't know honestly, but what's interesting is Ford's promotion of "we're gonna get the shovels in the ground for the people of Etobicoke/Scarbrough, etc". People see stuff when they believe it. If they don't see that right winged can't keep his promise, if he runs again who knows what hell will break lose.

Back