Toronto Galleria 01 & 02 | 92.65m | 29s | Almadev | Core Architects

Marcanadian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Docs up for Block 5, phase 1:

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=4038366

I love floors 2 through 5!

screen-shot-2019-04-02-at-9-39-47-am-png.179422

The ground level needs work though. Bring some brick pillars down to the street!

I don't even care if it's brick to be honest. If they brought those pillars a bit forward to break up the monotony of the glass then I'm gucci.

Now, the side facing Dupont is what I'm a bit concerned about. It's basically one huge wall. That might not be a terrible thing, and it will likely fit in better as the site gets built out, but they'll need a clever use of materials to avoid appearing too oppressive.

Doesn't this have to go through de-value engineering still? Those first 2-5 floors look fabulous but surely that means its just a pretty picture. I'd like to be wrong but I'm waiting for the swap out.

Last edited:
These two-level, anonymously glass-fronted and cavernous retail spaces seem like they would be difficult to inhabit for most small businesses and likely many large ones too. I'm not sure what the thinking is here. What kinds of things do they imagine being suited to this kind of space and able to afford it?

These two-level, anonymously glass-fronted and cavernous retail spaces seem like they would be difficult to inhabit for most small businesses and likely many large ones too. I'm not sure what the thinking is here. What kinds of things do they imagine being suited to this kind of space and able to afford it?
I'd like to see all of them end up as Faema Caffes.

I'm concerned that there will not be enough density on site to support large retail chains without the need to draw locals from outside the development. Therefore, traffic could be a nightmare (auto and pedestrian) if the site does not end up being isolated and cut off. If it is isolated and cut off I am not sure what will happen to the retail.

It was already a mall. What's changing here?

Small, adaptable, cheap retail spaces that work well for small businesses turning into large, cavernous double-height, style over practicality, likely unaffordable spaces.

Two-level spaces are neat and can be cool in some situations, but are they really what makes sense for most businesses? Should all the retail be two-level? Nobody wants to be going up and down stairs while shopping and carrying heavy things. There are accessibility aspects to think about as well. Is each space going to have an elevator?? If not: that's not great, how are people with mobility issues supposed to get up there? If so: that sounds like an expense and complication that will drive the cost of these spaces up.

While some restaurants, bars, cafes might work in a double-level high-ceilinged place, that's not necessarily good for many of those either. People often feel more comfortable in a smaller cosier space and large open spaces can lead to an echoey and exhausting loud acoustic experience.

There's lots of reasons I think these might not be ideal. That's why I wonder what the target business they're thinking of for these is. I can't imagine many where this would be a well suited space. They don't even seem like they'd be good for the Toronto condo retail classics: banks and Shoppers Drug Marts.

Back