IMG_9803.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9804.JPG
    IMG_9804.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 2,337
  • IMG_9803.JPG
    IMG_9803.JPG
    362 KB · Views: 2,335
Actually, mix-use Tridel HullmarkCentre with 35-storey south residential condo tower, 45-storey north tower (12-storey office base & 33-storey residential condo on top) connected by 5-storey podium that includes 3 office floors completed 4 years ago; problem is all office space were converted by developer to Office-Condo units with most sold off to oversea investor with no intention of opening offices here or even renting out - thus 2/3 of the office space remains empty concrete shell.
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...l-kirkor-architects.668/page-108#post-1147431
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...l-kirkor-architects.668/page-108#post-1147434

Shorty after Tridel HullmarkCentre completed, Emerald Park completed with 1 floor of Office-Condos.

Since former Provincial Liberal government imposed Foreign Real Estate Investor Tax, the Office-Condo units at 4050 Yonge (northwest corner of Yonge & YorkMills) are not selling - that project stalling.

Here with Ellie Condo, I strongly suspect this 10-storey office tower will be converted to Office-Condo units. It might even become a Phase2 that never proceeds,... which is a shame since if Ellie-Condo would have proceeded after G-Group stepped in after Centrium fiasco (already had approval or Residential Condo Tower & Hotel Tower) and easy conversion of Commercial Hotel to Office tower,.... Ellie Condo developer would have been able to unload the Office-Condo's to oversea investors before the provincial Liberal Real Estate Foreign Investor tax,.... and should have been about a year behind the adjacent Sorbara Beacon Condo - and we get our North York Square Public Mews (North York Centre's St Lawrence Market) sooner!
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...p-kirkor-architects.9715/page-14#post-1348749

BTW, the last Office Tower to open in North York Centre Secondary Plan Area was 21-storey TransAmerica Building at 5000 Yonge in 2004,... which became Aegon Building, now Ivari,.... that's the only one office tower built in North York Centre in the last 20 years since amalgamation but there's been 60+ residential condo towers built in the area during that time,... creating a Vertical Sleeping Community!

In the mean time,.... 11-storey office tower at NewtonBrook Plaza is about to be demolished,..... & 8-storey office at 5400 Yonge will be gone in a few years too.

Condo tenure spaces tend to take longer to fill up than a regular building.. but they do fill up eventually from what I can tell.

NYCC already had more office space than it needs. Isn't the vacancy rate something like 25% in existing buildings?

Just posting image of Ellie-Condo P1 Parking level,... sideways with North upward, IE Yonge St to right. As you'll notice, in southwest corner Ellie-Condo P1 level has doors to adjacent P1 level of Beacon (5220 Yonge) via simple knock-down wall. In all these adjacent, Ellie-Condo, Beacon & GibsonSquare, the connected P1 Parking Level are commercial parking level - ie Full Public Access - meaning everybody would be able to walk underground from Ellie Condo, Beacon, GibsonSquare into North York City Center & North York Centre Subway Station which also connects to Empress Walk

I'm missing the image of Beacon P1 Parking level, but based on Ellie-Condo & Gibson Square, the north-south pedestrian pathway through it's P1 level would be just west of its middle.

It seems the connection between Beacon & Gibson Square will require an underground pathway (under the east-west driveway); seems to have been built during construction of GibsonSquare around 2013 - it's also in the Final Report for Beacon.
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...es-rafael-bigauskas.4157/page-31#post-1429844

Image below is Gibson Square P1 Parking level as posted by Solaris on Beacon thread 3.5 years ago - it shows pedestrian walkway in red

Last edited:
Not that I don't think this is still the plan for underground routing, but this hasn't sold yet to a new potential developer, and I believe that is the process underway right now. I wouldn't rely too heavily on older drawings. A new site plan is possible as the old one is stale/unapproved from what I can see.

Not that I don't think this is still the plan for underground routing, but this hasn't sold yet to a new potential developer, and I believe that is the process underway right now. I wouldn't rely too heavily on older drawings. A new site plan is possible as the old one is stale/unapproved from what I can see.

While the 2012 Final Report is from failed Centrium project,... new developer G-Group took over that project - just changed Hotel tower to Office tower with minor alterations - same built form, same density, same height, basically same everything - all the same Project Data, Development Fees, Section37 Community Benefits - just cosmetic changes & classification of commercial hotel to commercial office space; thus, they're using the original Final Report & approvals from Centrium! A few years ago, I've discussed this with the City Planner on this file.

The P1 Parking level plans I posted were from G-Group new Architectural Plans submitted December 6, 2017 - so that's P1 level isn't an "older drawing" - all the docs have been redone, just over a year ago!

Whether G-Group is still involved,.... Lalu Canada is involved in whole or partnership with G-Group,.... but the new single or joint entity seem to have just taken over the Project that G-Group done,..... IMHO, Lalu Canada is at best just a silent partner - maybe here to help with financing,.... but really here because G-Goup pissed-off the local councillor - and a 5220Yonge inc or whatever fronting a Lalu/G-Group partnership would be less offensive to the local councillor.

G-Group really just took over a pre-approved 2012 Centrium project - same height, density, project data points but had to do some minor adjustments,.... should have been fast and easy to get building permits years ago,... G-Group felt local councillor Filion & CityPlanning were taking too long so G-Group CEO contacted long-time friend Scarborough Councillor Michael Thompson (one of Mayor Tory's close right hand councillor) to help speed up the process,... "Toronto councillor chastised for ‘going to bat’ for developer"
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...p-kirkor-architects.9715/page-14#post-1348749
Pissed-off local councillor Filion launched the Integrity Commissioner complaint against Councillor Michael Thompson for acting on behalf of G-Group's CEO Albert Gasparro (improper influence against councillor code of conduct)
https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/cc/bgrd/backgroundfile-117213.pdf

Note: a few years ago, a new local ratepayers group was set up in the single residential neighbourhood directly west of Beecroft with the ongoing support & encouragement of local Councillor Filion - who tend to favour ratepayers groups & protect their neighbourhoods.

At the end of the day,... sometimes development within North York Centre is a Soap Opera - power, money, politics, favours, revenge,...

Anyways,.... Within the last 6 months the site (directly across of UrbanToronto offices) have been active with various prep work,....

As per PMT's recent January post: Building Permits for new building (& Demolition permits) were submitted recently - December 2018 - Note: Developer can't apply for New Building Permits unless their development proposal already have City Council Approval (that's from the original Centrium 2012 Final Reports),... so apparently, something being built here and it'll start construction very soon!

From what I'm seeing,.... I'm not expecting a new site plan,.... I'm expecting ground breaking in a few months,... likely this Summer or Fall at latest!

And in about 5 years, I'll be using this underground P1 connection to get from Yonge-Shepppard Centre to here (every step completely underground),... and once I'm here, I'll be hanging out at the new NY Square mews between Ellie-Condo & Beacon enjoying my latte & people watching as I'll be in North York Centre's version of St.Lawrence Market!

Last edited:
And in about 5 years, I'll be using this underground P1 connection to get from Yonge-Shepppard Centre to here (every step completely underground),... and once I'm here, I'll be hanging out at the new NY Square mews between Ellie-Condo & Beacon enjoying my latte & people watching as I'll be in North York Centre's version of St.Lawrence Market!

While I would also enjoy an entirely underground pathway, is there not a barrier at the Beecroft Condos / Madison Centre? You need keyfob access somewhere in there.

While I would also enjoy an entirely underground pathway, is there not a barrier at the Beecroft Condos / Madison Centre? You need keyfob access somewhere in there.

Correct, there's a condo-resident-only barrier is at Menkes Ultima condo (marked in red below - building with TimHortons & ShoppersDrugMart) since you'll need their condo pass to go through their P1 parking level - or you could just try to sneak in with their condo resident!

Technically, Another break is between lower concourse level at north end of North York Civic Centre and southwest corner of North York City Centre,.... you technically go outside for a few seconds or to stay indoors, you can go one level down into their shared parking level

I do expect this underground connection between Ellie-Condo, Beacon, GibsonSquare & North York City Centre to be quite busy,.... the existing GibsonSquare & North York City Centre link is already quite busy just serving GibsonSquare.

Back