Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

In its hay day, Ontario Place had pretty respectable crowds because, between the location and facilities, it attracted a wide range of both residents and tourists, all during a time when access was drive/streetcar and walk (I don't know when the streetcar loop was moved but it has to pre-date OP - I always recall it where it is and I'm like really old). If anything is needed, how about a bus? Surely the site does not need the cost and frequency inherent in rail. What's next, clamoring for a subway directly the Centre Island?

In its hay day, Ontario Place had pretty respectable crowds because, between the location and facilities, it attracted a wide range of both residents and tourists, all during a time when access was drive/streetcar and walk (I don't know when the streetcar loop was moved but it has to pre-date OP - I always recall it where it is and I'm like really old). If anything is needed, how about a bus? Surely the site does not need the cost and frequency inherent in rail. What's next, clamoring for a subway directly the Centre Island?

From link:

The construction of a World Trade Centre in 1995 brought about the end of the old Exhibition East Loop. A new loop was built to the north of the Coliseum, beneath the Gardiner Expressway. Accessed by private right of way and featuring extensive storage and passenger facilities, this loop is an ultra-modern stop worthy of an LRT line. It opened for business on June 11, 1996, and currently handles Bathurst cars, as well as serving as the terminus of the 509 Harbourfront streetcar route.

ttc-exhibition-original-loop.jpg

A map of Exhibition Loop, showing all the changes from 1916 to 1931. Image courtesy the Rob Pineault collection

exhibition-aerial-1950.jpg

An aerial photograph of the Exhibition grounds, circa 1950. Photo courtesy the Toronto Public Library. From link.

Note that the Stanley Barracks (New Fort York) was still used by the Canadian Armed Forces, before they were invaded by parking lots for cars. Note also the hydro lines between they were buried by the Gardiner Expressway.

Last edited:
Last year the TTC extended the 121 into Ontario Place with the seasonal 121D branch. I never had the chance to take it, but a route from Union Station into Ontario Place sounds pretty good.

From link:

ttc-exhibition-original-loop.jpg

A map of Exhibition Loop, showing all the changes from 1916 to 1931. Image courtesy the Rob Pineault collection

Thanks for that. I frankly don't remember that loop (near the Prince's Gate I assume). Perhaps we went more often by the Dufferin car (or I'm plain just old and can't remember).

Wake up Toronto. To think that they almost leveled that magnificent pile we know as old city hall. Cooler heads prevailed, thankfully. Yet, here we are again with something as important as this place is to a lot of us. The province is making a mistake here. Put the money into polishing it up.

Maybe a viaduct taking the streetcars off Fleet Street, over Lake Shore Blvd. W. (east of the Princes' Gates) to Ontario Place. Then returning to the current Exhibition Loop and westerly to Dufferin Street.

aphv_2908_DSC_0422_VBG_3062_line_10_Bahnhof_Balsberg_near_Kloten_28-3-2009_aphv.jpg

From link.

As the EOI requirements state that "Proposals that require capital investments for planning, design or construction from the province will not be considered.", such a public transit project seems unlikely. A private developer would only include it if it drew enough people to the other commercial ventures on the site to offset their cost.

This limitation on public funds I think will have other major limitations to the re-development. For example, the chances of a new public swimming beach or pier seems low, as it seems unlikely that a private developer would fund such public goods.

Wake up Toronto. To think that they almost leveled that magnificent pile we know as old city hall. Cooler heads prevailed, thankfully. Yet, here we are again with something as important as this place is to a lot of us. The province is making a mistake here. Put the money into polishing it up.

It feels so hopeless to me. King Doug will do whatever he wants and our timid mayor is completely ineffective at standing up to him. Ford already sabotaged our election out of thoughtless vindictive spite and completely got away with it. If they can smash our *election* and nothing happens who really will be able to hold them to account over preserving architectural heritage? Conservatives keep supporting their leaders no matter how authoritarian they get. What can the rest of us even do? I was out protesting the election and if they're gonna bulldoze the Cinesphere I'll get out there too, but I feel really really low about the prospects here.

It feels so hopeless to me. King Doug will do whatever he wants and our timid mayor is completely ineffective at standing up to him. Ford already sabotaged our election out of thoughtless vindictive spite and completely got away with it. If they can smash our *election* and nothing happens who really will be able to hold them to account over preserving architectural heritage? Conservatives keep supporting their leaders no matter how authoritarian they get. What can the rest of us even do? I was out protesting the election and if they're gonna bulldoze the Cinesphere I'll get out there too, but I feel really really low about the prospects here.
The Fordians backed down from the worst provisions of Bill 66 which could have gutted parts of the greenbelt, so with enough opposition, they can be convinced otherwise here too. Don't give up!

As I said earlier... don't lie down. The media will bite if you give them a reason - the result will likely be something unlike what you said but louder than here... e.g.. low tech letters to the editor. Actually helps.

Gee i can understand keeping the Cineshere and Pods as heritage but why all of Ontario Place? wouldn't that put a damper on any new development to improve the site
Wouldn"t every proposal have to go years and years under the microscope to get approvals, i get the feeling some people are just happy to have it boring and inactive

Gee i can understand keeping the Cineshere and Pods as heritage but why all of Ontario Place? wouldn't that put a damper on any new development to improve the site
Wouldn"t every proposal have to go years and years under the microscope to get approvals, i get the feeling some people are just happy to have it boring and inactive
No one is arguing that every component of Ontario Place ought to be preserved; namely, just the cinesphere and pods.

Last edited:

Back