News   Apr 16, 2024
 11     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.2K     5 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

But it won't count in the FY 2018 tally as it is not in service. Did that end up at 4517, making it 61 put into service this year?

I count 60 in service this year (4458 to 4517 inclusive) from January 6 2018 to December 31, 2018.

But that means they are 5 cars short of the target since it is the in-service cars that count.
4 cars short. They did miss the in-service target of 64 - though they had 4 more cars (4518 to 4520 and 4572) received but not in service at year end. Along with 4521 unloaded today.

Close enough to their 2018 schedule for me. But the lack of Kingston cars is concerning. They only need 80 more cars manufactured (plus 4401 which is being completed in Quebec). With them delivering 61 cars from Thunder Bay in 2018, then the remaining 47 cars from there seem to be easy enough.

Can they produce 33 more cars in Kingston this year? I think that's going to be the weak point.

Can they produce 33 more cars in Kingston this year? I think that's going to be the weak point.

Kingston will be hopping with Edmonton, Metrolinx, and TTC orders. Hopefully they can handle all three lines. One car every two weeks gets them close.

Once they get to about 150 accepted, the question for TTC will be MTBF. Thirty cars not delivered, versus thirty on the shop tracks for repair, looks about the same to the ridership.

- Paul

I count 60 in service this year (4458 to 4517 inclusive) from January 6 2018 to December 31, 2018.

4 cars short. They did miss the in-service target of 64 - though they had 4 more cars (4518 to 4520 and 4572) received but not in service at year end. Along with 4521 unloaded today.

Close enough to their 2018 schedule for me. But the lack of Kingston cars is concerning. They only need 80 more cars manufactured (plus 4401 which is being completed in Quebec). With them delivering 61 cars from Thunder Bay in 2018, then the remaining 47 cars from there seem to be easy enough.

You also forgot every Flexity up to 4467 which all have to go back for welding.. that will go to 2022/2023.

Once they get to about 150 accepted, the question for TTC will be MTBF. Thirty cars not delivered, versus thirty on the shop tracks for repair, looks about the same to the ridership.

How far does a streetcar travel in a day? Would it be 300 to 400km on average? I'm guessing 400km would be quite high as rush-only vehicles would bring that down significantly as regular maintenance. Either way, I went with 400km/day average travel below.

A 14,278km mdbf (reported Sept 2018) would put each vehicle in the shop every ~35 days if they typically run 400km/day. If you assume it takes 2 days to fix (and I understand many are redeployed on the same-day) it would mean ~11 in the shop for maintenance at any given time due to failures instead of the expected 4 in the shop for unexpected maintenance for a targetted 35,000km mdbf.

So Bombardier could make TTC whole by providing a maximum of 7 additional vehicles and a stack of replacement parts; it's likely fewer vehicles than that.

Obviously it would be best if they manage to up the reliability and kick in a couple vehicles anyway as an apology.

Last edited:
Kingston will be hopping with Edmonton, Metrolinx, and TTC orders. Hopefully they can handle all three lines.
They need to complete 5 more Metrolinx cars by February 1. But how long after that before the next ones? I'd assume they'd have to wait some time before Metrolinx testing and approval, before they go too far with manufacturing the remaining 70 vehicles. There is the 25 Edmonton vehicles - not sure how they are doing on those.

You also forgot every Flexity up to 4467 which all have to go back for welding.. that will go to 2022/2023.
I don't see how that effects production, as it's not the same facilities that does the final assembly.

4518 is out testing on King St

As for Metrolinx cars, same process as TTC before cars are put into production. No idea what Edmonton is using for standards before cars go into production.

Have no hope that Kingston will meet anyone schedule for 2019.

Last edited:
They need to complete 5 more Metrolinx cars by February 1.

Not 5. 3 or less. Recall that the first two Metrolinx cars were built at Thunder Bay and then shipped to Millhaven last year. And with the first car that Millhaven completed that was shown off late last year, there's only three more cars that need to be completed by the end of January.

Dan

Not 5. 3 or less. Recall that the first two Metrolinx cars were built at Thunder Bay and then shipped to Millhaven last year.
Didn't those two cars have cabs at both ends? They'd need modifications I'd think ... if they weren't converted to Kitchener cars or something ...

Didn't those two cars have cabs at both ends? They'd need modifications I'd think ... if they weren't converted to Kitchener cars or something ...

I'm not sure about the prototypes but here is the Eglinton car Bombardier showed off to Media in October 2018.

It looks like the driver is standing without a seat available or a cab door. But, the other end doesn't appear to have a cab either. Perhaps this was a middle car and both ends had yard controls only?

I assume the 6 cars they're expecting will make 2 complete trains, rather than 6 middle sections.

Last edited:
4521 was officially off loaded today.

Now, which plant will ship the next car and when??

I assume the 6 cars they're expecting will make 2 complete trains, rather than 6 middle sections.
All the cars will be the same. They'll just point the front and back cars in different directions. If there's a third car in the middle, it can point in either direction.

Reactions: rbt

Back