Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

From The Star:

Two stations on new York subway extension among the least used on the TTC network

Numbers collected by the TTC between October and November show the best performing station on the extension is York University, which has about 34,100 combined boardings and disembarkings every day.

That’s followed by Finch West, with 17,700, and Pioneer Village, which also serves the York campus, with 17,300. Vaughan Metropolitan Centre station at the end of the line has a daily usage of 14,800.

But two of the extension’s new stops have performed much worse. Highway 407 station is used by just 3,400 people a day, and Downsview Park by just 2,500.

Bessarian has been displaced. It has 2900.

The 6 new stations have daily boardings of 90,000.
Again, by comparison, Sheppard has 50,000 for 4 new stations.

Considering the the Spadina extension goes downtown, while Sheppard is unfinished, and requires a transfer - I am not sure the Spadina numbers look that good.

https://www.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/Subway ridership 2016.pdf

Curious to find out the numbers of some U.S. subway/metro stations in their outlaying "suburban" stations, for comparison.

Are the parking lots full in those York stations?

Just looked up the numbers for LA. Wilshire/Normandie seems to be their lowest with estimated daily ridership at about 2,500.

Oak Park station in Chicago is under 1,600 daily.

Last edited:
Curious to find out the numbers of some U.S. subway/metro stations in their outlaying "suburban" stations, for comparison.

Are the parking lots full in those York stations?

Not surprised at the numbers as I was expecting this. The so call claim the 407 parking lot was going to be full within the first few months have been miss.

Given the size of 407 parking lot, not close to been full. Pioneer parking lot is a lot bigger than 407. No parking at Vaughan and Sheppard station

As for US stations, no clue since I have never visited them in the first place nor looked at numbers for them.

As for ridership, one year is way too soon to compare to other lines and need to wait to see what 5/10 years numbers look like. Also, Sheppard had already development along its route as well ridership, where the extension has none of this. Once a number of the new towers are built and have residents over the next 10 years for VMC, ridership for VMC will climb.

Bessarian has been displaced. It has 2900.

The 6 new stations have daily boardings of 90,000.
Again, by comparison, Sheppard has 50,000 for 4 new stations.

Considering the the Spadina extension goes downtown, while Sheppard is unfinished, and requires a transfer - I am not sure the Spadina numbers look that good.

https://www.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/Subway ridership 2016.pdf
And Downsview Park ridership should jump with GO Transit service expansion (can't call it RER anymore) :D

Those numbers seem quite respectable to me. We all knew that 407 ridership would be low, and Downsview Park is building for the future. Vaughan Centre is better than I expected.

The ridership on this extension already exceeds both Line 3 and Line 4, that are similar lengths, with similar number of stations. And as the article notes, the ridership exceeds expectations.

Back