1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 685     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

...at Yonge Street. Obvious.
I'm sorry? You exactly make my point:

1543726277414.png

- Google Map 2018

Gotta love "Bloor Station"...that really lets you know where you are...here's a hint: You're on Bloor somewhere...

I still cant believe Metrolinx actually paid consultants for this sh*t. I would've come up with much better names in exchange for a cup of coffee.

I'm sure it's an infinitesimally small part of the provincial government, but when people get riled up abut government waste, the is why.

Context is everything! It was in answer to:

Exactly why I think the cross-street naming convention where two lines intersect is appealing (Bloor-Yonge for example). The idea of naming stations/stops after neighbourhoods has appeal to people in the community, but I would say isn't generally how most people navigate places.

Last edited:
I still cant believe Metrolinx actually paid consultants for this sh*t. I would've come up with much better names in exchange for a cup of coffee.

I'm sure it's an infinitesimally small part of the provincial government, but when people get riled up abut government waste, the is why.
They couldn't even hire local consultants to do it...

Exactly why I think the cross-street naming convention when to lines intersect is appealing (Bloor-Yonge for example). The idea of naming stations/stops after neighbourhoods has appeal to people in the community but I would say isn't generally how most people navigate places.
It is fine when it is easily distinguished neighbourhoods like Leaside.

The problem is when you pay a foreign consultant and they get the location of Leaside wrong.

They couldn't even hire local consultants to do it...

It is fine when it is easily distinguished neighbourhoods like Leaside.

The problem is when you pay a foreign consultant and they get the location of Leaside wrong.
The problem is that easily distinguished neighboroughhoods tend to be larger and can contain for than 1 stop. Is it Leslie, Laird, or Bayview.?

The problem is that easily distinguished neighboroughhoods tend to be larger and can contain for than 1 stop. Is it Leslie, Laird, or Bayview.?
It is clearly Laird.

More of North Toronto/Midtown is in the catchment area of the Leaside station than Leaside is.

If Metrolinx had paid me a cup of coffee, what I would have suggested is naming the station at Eglinton and Bayview, "South Bayview" after the local BIA and community newspaper.

Alternatively, I would suggest naming it Bayview and renaming the existing Bayview station on the Sheppard line to "Bayview Village".

See, two better naming schemes in the span of time it took the barista to pour me a cup of java. All for $3.50 as opposed to the $13,500 that the consultant probably charged us taxpayers.

The idea of naming stations/stops after neighbourhoods has appeal to people in the community but I would say isn't generally how most people navigate places.

I second that. For example, I know roughly where Cedervale is generally BUT living in Scarborough all my life I don't know it well enough to know where the stop is. If they had called it Allen (The cross street) I would know where it is.

I second that. For example, I know roughly where Cedervale is generally BUT living in Scarborough all my life I don't know it well enough to know where the stop is. If they had called it Allen (The cross street) I would know where it is.

I've lived in the Cedarvale area most my life and I didnt even know what the hell it was. Everyone I know just calls it Eglinton West. Same thing for Keelesdale and whatever the heck they decided to name the station on Dufferin. It almost feels like they're imposing these names on us, because I've never seen them used in real life.

(Or more likely, some overpaid consultant saw "Cerdervale" on a Google Map, and decided to call the station that)

I've lived in the Cedarvale area most my life and I didnt even know what the hell it was. Everyone I know just calls it Eglinton West. Same thing for Keelesdale and whatever the heck they decided to name the station on Dufferin. It almost feels like they're imposing these names on us, because I've never seen them used in real life.

(Or more likely, some overpaid consultant saw "Cerdervale" on a Google Map, and decided to call the station that)

It's like in Scarborough. I grew up in West Hill, drove through Port Union to get to my cottage and my doctor was in Woburn. We have many small place names here but only because they are ingrained into the history of the area. It is sort of like Willowdale or the Junction.

Right now I live in Clairlea/Oakridge. If someone renamed Warden Station to Clairlea I would be confused.

One idea that's crossed my mind several times is where a station has the cross-street as the primary name, with a local neighbourhood or landmark as secondary. For example St Andrew Station would be King West, St Andrew. Whether that is used merely in signage or also as an announcement at each stop is up for debate.

One idea that's crossed my mind several times is where a station has the cross-street as the primary name, with a local neighbourhood or landmark as secondary. For example St Andrew Station would be King West, St Andrew. Whether that is used merely in signage or also as an announcement at each stop is up for debate.

This has been done before. Bay Station was and is labeled BAY - Yorkville as seen in the attached image from Wikipedia. Bay is the cross-street while Yorkville was the neighbourhood. I believe this was done in response to the interlining experiment wherein they wanted to replicate the naming system along university .
Bay_(TTC)_Eastbound_Platform.jpg

This has been done before. Bay Station was and is labeled BAY - Yorkville as seen in the attached image from Wikipedia. Bay is the cross-street while Yorkville was the neighbourhood. I believe this was done in response to the interlining experiment wherein they wanted to replicate the naming system along university .View attachment 165957
Just about perfect. The dominant labeling as Bay makes clear where the station is while the sub-heading name refers to a locale.

Back