Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Few if any probably even remember the statement anyways...

AoD
I did...and in the context of how short a time it was after I said it and how nice the place looks....we may as well laugh about it.

The really funny thing is that I thought about posting something about them for a few months (I really didn't get a sense they were opening) and, bam, right after I get around to it they go ahead and open!

Sitting here right now during a leafs game and it is surprisingly active. The crowd seems to be a miscalaneus crowd, ie. Not a sporting event only group.

Generally im impressed and once the portion below the via concourse opens with access to union square i think it will get busier...

Rabbit sausage, speck and raclette pretzel, duck fat fries and whatever the hell to drink.

Oh, Wvrst, I'm never catching my train again. That's OK, never change.

Can't wait to be down there tomorrow....and every weekend all winter.
You won't see me here, but you'll know where I am.

Some more WVRST shots, from today at around 2:30 PM.

fk70aFT.jpg

WZozHcn.jpg

TpHKVVl.jpg

rk9qclk.jpg

Noted. Framing for a door, or wall, has been built in the passage way that leads from the york concourse to union plaza. Right about where the escalators for platforms 24 and 25 are, and go staff were directing people to turn right for access to union subway station (through the via concourse?). So a) it appears they are preparing to close off this route some time soon, and open up another route somewhere hopefully. And b) they may be doing some behavioural training to get people used to this routing to union subway station vs the york concourse route in anticipation of the coming change.

I'm guessing the currently hoarded up portion of the union plaza acess tunnel opens up with a pathing through the via concourse opens up for the time being until the concourse below via opens up.

Noted. Framing for a door, or wall, has been built in the passage way that leads from the york concourse to union plaza. Right about where the escalators for platforms 24 and 25 are, and go staff were directing people to turn right for access to union subway station (through the via concourse?). So a) it appears they are preparing to close off this route some time soon, and open up another route somewhere hopefully. And b) they may be doing some behavioural training to get people used to this routing to union subway station vs the york concourse route in anticipation of the coming change.

I'm guessing the currently hoarded up portion of the union plaza acess tunnel opens up with a pathing through the via concourse opens up for the time being until the concourse below via opens up.
Someone posted a photo a few pages back.

What’s with Front Street in front of Union? The new hardscape looked great but now there’s a line of not so temporary concrete barriers running along the sidewalk from York to Yonge. If that’s not ugly enough, a number of the metal bollards are leaning, dented and rusting where they’ve been hit by cars. So full marks for the design and construction of the new public realm, which in this town is admittedly hardly a given. But as usual minus a million points to Gryffindor for proving once again that Toronto is simply incapable of maintaining its public realm. It’s like shabbiness has some incredibly powerful gravitational pull that drags down everything the City touches.

What’s with Front Street in front of Union? The new hardscape looked great but now there’s a line of not so temporary concrete barriers running along the sidewalk from York to Yonge. If that’s not ugly enough, a number of the metal bollards are leaning, dented and rusting where they’ve been hit by cars. So full marks for the design and construction of the new public realm, which in this town is admittedly hardly a given. But as usual minus a million points to Gryffindor for proving once again that Toronto is simply incapable of maintaining its public realm. It’s like shabbiness has some incredibly powerful gravitational pull that drags down everything the City touches.

The Jersey barriers are there as a result of the Van attack in North York. They want to prevent people from mounting the curb and mowing down the masses. I do agree that they need a more permanent solution that reflects the design. I think though that they want something removable to provide access in the event of an emergency.

The same thing has been done to Bremner Blvd behind the Scotiabank Arena. Bremner Blvd used to start at Lake Shore but after what happened in North York they put barriers up thereby closing off access from Lake Shore. This was done because there were fears of people mowing down others during a concert, sporting event etc. The local businesses and condos were told they are not going anywhere for security reasons.

The Jersey barriers are there as a result of the Van attack in North York. They want to prevent people from mounting the curb and mowing down the masses. I do agree that they need a more permanent solution that reflects the design. I think though that they want something removable to provide access in the event of an emergency.

The same thing has been done to Bremner Blvd behind the Scotiabank Arena. Bremner Blvd used to start at Lake Shore but after what happened in North York they put barriers up thereby closing off access from Lake Shore. This was done because there were fears of people mowing down others during a concert, sporting event etc. The local businesses and condos were told they are not going anywhere for security reasons.
Residents (and local businesses) have been told that more 'aesthetic' barriers are "coming" - but no sign of this, yet.

Back