News   Mar 28, 2024
 445     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 382     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 732     0 

Stackt Container Market (28 Bathurst St, future park)

I think the name is confirmed as Stackt: http://stacktmarket.com/

Nice renderings - I haven't seen these before.

Two more renderings that are shown on that site (found them from Azure)

stackt-market-toronto-1.jpg

stackt-market-toronto-2.jpg

Attachments

• stackt-market-toronto-1.jpg
    stackt-market-toronto-1.jpg
    612.5 KB · Views: 1,129
  • stackt-market-toronto-2.jpg
    stackt-market-toronto-2.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 1,078
Anyone have any details about this project.
I know that originally build Toronto was trying to sell it as a condo site, then it was transfered to the parks department as a site for a future park. Meanwhile, some deal got signed to turn it into a temporary container market. Seeing all the construction there its hard to believe that this is a temporary endeavor.

by "temporary" I believe they intend to keep it for a few years at least - it's not going to be a 6 month thing.

I'm used to pop up container markets where COSCO or Evergreen still appear on the sides of the containers. These units barely resemble containers with glass sliding doors and plate glass windows. I'm also not totally sold on the monochromatic charcoal grey. Containers owners use different colours and that's also how people recognize stacks of containers. Why wouldn't you take advantage of that?

It's overly planned and designed and comes across a little boring and corporate.

I'm used to pop up container markets where COSCO or Evergreen still appear on the sides of the containers. These units barely resemble containers with glass sliding doors and plate glass windows. I'm also not totally sold on the monochromatic charcoal grey. Containers owners use different colours and that's also how people recognize stacks of containers. Why wouldn't you take advantage of that?

It's overly planned and designed and comes across a little boring and corporate.

It's true people will complain about anything. Perhaps they may still paint? Their original design was all sorts of colours. Maybe they didn't want a space near the train tracks to look like a shipping yard.

It's not just about the colours in case you didn't pick that up the first tine. It's the whole concept. These's containers are heavily modified, placed on planned foundations with plumbing and electrical hook ups. There's a cost to the construction that which will be passed on to the tenants. It will determine the tenants that take up the spaces and the consumer costs of their merchandise. It won't be affordable to those you usually find in container markets. Why even bother building it out of containers?

It's more than pretentious to dismiss a desire for whimsy and creativity while being true to the containers' form and function is a desire for a trashy look. I'm not surprised by your response.

P.S. There are renderings and a number of units installed. There's more than enough to formulate an opinion that nothing about this feels impromptu or different from other commercial developments in its function.

It's not just about the colours in case you didn't pick that up the first tine. It's the whole concept. These's containers are heavily modified, placed on planned foundations with plumbing and electrical hook ups. There's a cost to the construction that which will be passed on to the tenants. It will determine the tenants that take up the spaces and the consumer costs of their merchandise. It won't be affordable to those you usually find in container markets. Why even bother building it out of containers?

Hmm, I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure it could be as eclectic as Kensington. I'm not sure if I'm seeing the same concept as you that fits for the area. As for plumbing, It's almost guaranteed there will be a cafe of some sorta in some of these. Ah well, hope you like it in the end.

Back