News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 630     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

Fair enough, but my point was more about the absence of a good justification for this decision, not about a possible explanation. With the exception of the justification that Ford would be tempered by a cabinet of grownups, I think the view that he represented anything better than Horwath/Wynne to be asinine.

The justification was that he represented a stark change I guess from the other parties being very liberal and the NDP did not really represent a big change apart from leadership.

It was how Rob Ford got elected to stop 'dem downtown elites and the Gravy Train

Now i know many would say Wynne is not that liberal but here in the burbs, people thought she was pretty far left and the NDP was seen as further left.

So to a lot of moderates, Ford and company seemed like an actual change.

The justification was that he represented a stark change I guess from the other parties being very liberal and the NDP did not really represent a big change apart from leadership.

No, I'm not sure you're hearing me. I'm saying that might be an explanation, but it's harder for me to see it as a justification. Compare: 'The reason I punched him is that I was anxious" (explanation); "The reason I punched him is that I was anxious" (justification).

The former goes through; the latter not so much.

Larry Grossman was Jewish, not "Polish." He was the third Jewish person to lead a party in Ontario (Stephen Lewis and Stuart Smith led the NDP and Liberals, respectively, in the 1970s).

Patrick Brown is also of Italian ancestry on his mother's side.

Maybe your right on Grossman - but then I would say that Brown is not Italian, but Catholic.

You are both technically right. Grossman is anglicized from 'Groszman'. Sounds like he is Polish-Jewish by origin.

View attachment 156722

Years ago when the ACC opened there was this ring around the stadium with pictures of people from a 1957 hockey game.. I am sure the art was called "Faces of Toronto" but don't quote me on that. Eventually this was taken down because it was seen as offensive since the city has significantly changed and not everyone was white. I am sure the Raptors playing here with a more mixed demo graph had something to do with it.... I am not looking for the excuses/reasons, all I am saying is that the city is super multicultural and yet our offices are white. If somehow that offends you or you think that I think that we should just give jobs to unqualified people simply because they are not white that is your issue not mine. Similar to how Trudeau had a 50/50 gender split "because it's 2015" I don't think its crazy to want a more diverse group especially at city hall.

What it is the solution though? Trudeau has the power to dictate a quota but you cant at the city level.

As I said the only reason why so many minorities get elected Provincially and Federally is that people vote for the party than the person.

I can say this as I know it to be true as a minority myself.

In Brampton, federally and Provincially the city is dominated by Indians but at the city level, it is not at all. Like in the last federal election and provincial election, a lot of the Indians that won are not even that well known in the Indian community.

City Council is a totally different animal.

The reasons are:
1. The candidates don't have the resources of a party to back them up and get their name out.
2. The ethnic community vote is broken apart as many minority candidates run in a single ward.
3. The incumbents have been around forever and have built a strong base of support that is hard to overcome.

Therefore the person who is the most well known usually wins a councillor race always and in a lot of these areas it's most long-term city councillors who are mostly white.

Point is that it will change but it will take a lot of time.

Here’s where Canada stands on gender:

First Female Prime Minister 1993
First Female Premier 1991
First Female Mayor 1936

Enough of the politically correct nonsense. The women fought and won the battle of the sexes decades ago. The issue is right vs left, not he vs she. I’m tired of it and don’t bother responding to me as I will immediately block you from my view.

End of story :)

Not even close, but let me guess, you're a white guy who hasn't had to deal with any kind of prejudice in your life. Block away.

What it is the solution though? Trudeau has the power to dictate a quota but you cant at the city level.

As I said the only reason why so many minorities get elected Provincially and Federally is that people vote for the party than the person.

I can say this as I know it to be true as a minority myself.

In Brampton, federally and Provincially the city is dominated by Indians but at the city level, it is not at all. Like in the last federal election and provincial election, a lot of the Indians that won are not even that well known in the Indian community.

City Council is a totally different animal.

The reasons are:
1. The candidates don't have the resources of a party to back them up and get their name out.
2. The ethnic community vote is broken apart as many minority candidates run in a single ward.
3. The incumbents have been around forever and have built a strong base of support that is hard to overcome.

Therefore the person who is the most well known usually wins a councillor race always and in a lot of these areas it's most long-term city councillors who are mostly white.

Point is that it will change but it will take a lot of time.
Just because one doesn't have a solution doesn't mean the questions shouldn't be asked and thought about. Sometimes in order to change the first step is to self reflect.

Polish Jews did not seem themselves as "Poles", believe me.

I've seen architect Daniel Libeskind referred to as "Polish"; but that's jumped out more as a solecism than anything.

Even if well-meaning, anyone who refers to expatriate Polish Jews as "Poles"--or at least, to those who don't already explicitly identify as Poles for whatever reason--is guilty of gross insensitivity.

Even if well-meaning, anyone who refers to expatriate Polish Jews as "Poles"--or at least, to those who don't already explicitly identify as Poles for whatever reason--is guilty of gross insensitivity.
Gross insensitivity?

I agree with King of Kensington that just because they are Polish Jews by origin, does not mean they refer to themselves or associate as "Poles".

But if they came to Canada from the Polish Second Republic, they were full Polish citizens and held Polish nationality. Interwar Poland was quite the multi-cultural state.

Back