News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 497     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

Well we voted in Rob Ford... then we watched him crash and burn while at the same time watched Trump get elected (currently crashing and burning)... yet we voted in Doug. So yes WE... Maybe not you or I personally but still WE as a province. If you want to argue that there was no other options race wise sure I will buy that. But we had 2 women NDP, Liberals and the PCs had a leadership race with only women other than Doug and yet here we are again with a white male as leader. I am sorry but that is a red flag to me. Perhaps we aren't as diverse as we like to think we are and yes I think that is a problem.

Well we voted in Rob Ford... then we watched him crash and burn while at the same time watched Trump get elected (currently crashing and burning)... yet we voted in Doug. So yes WE... Maybe not you or I personally but still WE as a province. If you want to argue that there was no other options race wise sure I will buy that. But we had 2 women NDP, Liberals and the PCs had a leadership race with only women other than Doug and yet here we are again with a white male as leader. I am sorry but that is a red flag to me. Perhaps we aren't as diverse as we like to think we are and yes I think that is a problem.
Yep, agreed. I feel pretty disappointed that Ontarians--but especially those in the GTHA who should have known better because of the Ford years--voted for Doug.

Here’s where Canada stands on gender:

First Female Prime Minister 1993
First Female Premier 1991
First Female Mayor 1936

Enough of the politically correct nonsense. The women fought and won the battle of the sexes decades ago. The issue is right vs left, not he vs she. I’m tired of it and don’t bother responding to me as I will immediately block you from my view.

End of story :)

If you were a woman, you’d know that while gains were made, we still have not achieved complete equality. Glass ceilings have been broken, but misogyny exists. The story isn’t over.

Here’s where Canada stands on gender:

First Female Prime Minister 1993
First Female Premier 1991
First Female Mayor 1936

Enough of the politically correct nonsense. The women fought and won the battle of the sexes decades ago. The issue is right vs left, not he vs she. I’m tired of it and don’t bother responding to me as I will immediately block you from my view.

End of story :)
I'm going to respond because you are being super defensive and I wont mind being blocked. This sounds no different then people saying that we live in a post racial society. Racism still exists... Sexism still exists... its simply more hidden then overt. BTW no one wanted to be prime minister in 1993.

I'm going to respond because you are being super defensive and I wont mind being blocked. This sounds no different then people saying that we live in a post racial society. Racism still exists... Sexism still exists... its simply more hidden then overt. BTW no one wanted to be prime minister in 1993.
When it comes to woman leaders of political parties, the NDP and Conservatives have both had a good number (McLaughlin, McDonough, Turmel for NDP and Campbell, Wayne, Grey, Ambrose for conservatives) .
Provincially, you could say the PC's have not had a woman leader, but then you can say they have at least had more ethnic diversity with an Italian (Fidelli), a Slovak (Hudak), Polish (Grossman).
Basically, you can parse the data any way you want, but I think it's quite obvious that gender and ethnicity do not really matter.

Larry Grossman was Jewish, not "Polish." He was the third Jewish person to lead a party in Ontario (Stephen Lewis and Stuart Smith led the NDP and Liberals, respectively, in the 1970s).

Patrick Brown is also of Italian ancestry on his mother's side.

Larry Grossman was Jewish, not "Polish." He was the third Jewish person to lead a party in Ontario (Stephen Lewis and Stuart Smith led the NDP and Liberals, respectively, in the 1970s).

Patrick Brown is also of Italian ancestry on his mother's side.
Maybe your right on Grossman - but then I would say that Brown is not Italian, but Catholic.

Yep, agreed. I feel pretty disappointed that Ontarians--but especially those in the GTHA who should have known better because of the Ford years--voted for Doug.

People did not vote for Doug they voted against the liberals and some felt the Provincial govt was far too liberal these days (aka tax and spend).

The issue is to a lot of people in the suburbs the Liberals were not a choice as they got sick of them and the NDP were pretty much the liberals but even more to the left and the media painted them as full of 'crazies' (thank Ontario Proud Memes for that).

Therefore a lot of moderates voted for the PC as they thought it be some sort of change and the NDP did not really symbolize much of a change.

Therefore I don't really buy the argument that a ton of Conservatives did not vote for Ford, because who the hell did they vote for lol...

I would also add is that the Tories did really well getting a lot of minority support unlike the past but they do feel a bit left out by the Ford Government as hardly any were picked as Cabinet Ministers.

Sorry I was looking more for people from South America, West Indies, Africa, Asia, India, Middle East, since I consider all white people from North America descendants from Europe and Western Civilization. My father is from the UK and my mother from Holland, and I consider myself white.

As I said most minorities in politics get elected by being attached to big federal and provincial partiers.

Winning independently is far more difficult and that is why the city council is less diverse.

upload_2018-9-16_9-50-10.png

Years ago when the ACC opened there was this ring around the stadium with pictures of people from a 1957 hockey game.. I am sure the art was called "Faces of Toronto" but don't quote me on that. Eventually this was taken down because it was seen as offensive since the city has significantly changed and not everyone was white. I am sure the Raptors playing here with a more mixed demo graph had something to do with it.... I am not looking for the excuses/reasons, all I am saying is that the city is super multicultural and yet our offices are white. If somehow that offends you or you think that I think that we should just give jobs to unqualified people simply because they are not white that is your issue not mine. Similar to how Trudeau had a 50/50 gender split "because it's 2015" I don't think its crazy to want a more diverse group especially at city hall.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-16_9-50-10.png
    upload_2018-9-16_9-50-10.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 480
View attachment 156722

Years ago when the ACC opened there was this ring around the stadium with pictures of people from a 1957 hockey game.. I am sure the art was called "Faces of Toronto" but don't quote me on that. Eventually this was taken down because it was seen as offensive since the city has significantly changed and not everyone was white. I am sure the Raptors playing here with a more mixed demo graph had something to do with it.... I am not looking for the excuses/reasons, all I am saying is that the city is super multicultural and yet our offices are white. If somehow that offends you or you think that I think that we should just give jobs to unqualified people simply because they are not white that is your issue not mine. Similar to how Trudeau had a 50/50 gender split "because it's 2015" I don't think its crazy to want a more diverse group especially at city hall.
Should the Leafs mandate 50% visible minority as well.

People did not vote for Doug they voted against the liberals and some felt the Provincial govt was far too liberal these days (aka tax and spend).

The issue is to a lot of people in the suburbs the Liberals were not a choice as they got sick of them and the NDP were pretty much the liberals but even more to the left and the media painted them as full of 'crazies' (thank Ontario Proud Memes for that).

Therefore a lot of moderates voted for the PC as they thought it be some sort of change and the NDP did not really symbolize much of a change.

Fair enough, but my point was more about the absence of a good justification for this decision, not about a possible explanation. With the exception of the justification that Ford would be tempered by a cabinet of grownups, I think the view that he represented anything better than Horwath/Wynne to be asinine.

Back