News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 609     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 896     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The more I think about it the more I agree. The problem isn’t 47 or 25 councillors it’s that amalgamation didn’t make sense in the first place.

Maybe the larger problem also is that the GTA is becoming too large and dominant and it’s upsetting the design and structure of the Ontario Government

The more I think about it the more I agree. The problem isn’t 47 or 25 councillors it’s that amalgamation didn’t make sense in the first place.

Maybe the larger problem also is that the GTA is becoming too large and dominant and it’s upsetting the design and structure of the Ontario Government

Doug wants the wards to reflect the provincial/federal electoral ridings. Prince Edward Island has four federal ridings: Cardigan (population 36,005), Charlottetown (34,562), Egmont (34,598), and Malpeque (35,039). Please Doug, how does the population of even one of the new wards come close to one of population numbers for a PEI federal ridings?

De Baeremaeker OUT.

Ben Spurr
Whoa. Cllr Glenn De Baeremaeker issues release that says he will not seek re-election in October. "The 15-year council veteran admitted the new political boundaries dramatically reduce the chances of him pulling off a win this fall."

Doug wants the wards to reflect the provincial/federal electoral ridings. Prince Edward Island has four federal ridings: Cardigan (population 36,005), Charlottetown (34,562), Egmont (34,598), and Malpeque (35,039). Please Doug, how does the population of even one of the new wards come close to one of population numbers for a PEI federal ridings?
PEI should have less ridings given its population - and shrinking - but stripping them of seats won't happen for obvious reasons.

PEI should have less ridings given its population - and shrinking - but stripping them of seats won't happen for obvious reasons.
I'm not sure exactly why PEI has 4 ridings. But it is very tough to take something away, particularly when it's not an area's fault. It's not Northern Ontario's fault, for example, that other areas of the province grew at such rapid and exponential rates. If you have a relatively stable population (or slight increase/decreases), you shouldn't be penalized and lose representation just because another area is growing so rapidly. This is why we tend to add more representatives to even things out instead of taking things (or representation) away. So their say at the table is diminished but their representation isn't.

On a side note, PEI's population is not shrinking, it's has been consistently growing since the 1940s, albeit by small amounts.

http://www.birchcliffnews.com/crawford-and-holland-on-changes-at-city-hall/

Ford's behaviour is really playing into the hands of incumbents. I'll be glad to see one, if not both of these bounced. Meanwhile, Arbour had already made up business cards and a logo before Ford dropped the bomb, and doesn't know if he'll bother running at this point. It's a shame because he's really involved in making the Bluffs area a better place and has always promoted small businesses on Kingston Road.

Crawford's comment about the subway is a joke. He, Holland, Rob Ford and others from 2010-2014 are the reason why there is no LRT. They all wanted the subway and absolutely nothing has happened on that front. The one thing I agree on is that council meetings are no place to discuss things like fence building and tree removal.

Scarborough councilors complaining about Downtown councilors meddling in local affairs is rich, considering all the meddling they do into downtown affairs. And I say this living in Crawford's Scarborough ward!

I'm not sure exactly why PEI has 4 ridings. But it is very tough to take something away, particularly when it's not an area's fault. It's not Northern Ontario's fault, for example, that other areas of the province grew at such rapid and exponential rates. If you have a relatively stable population (or slight increase/decreases), you shouldn't be penalized and lose representation just because another area is growing so rapidly. This is why we tend to add more representatives to even things out instead of taking things (or representation) away. So their say at the table is diminished but their representation isn't.

On a side note, PEI's population is not shrinking, it's has been consistently growing since the 1940s, albeit by small amounts.

This is why:

http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=res&dir=cir/red/form&document=index&lang=e

AoD

Scarborough councilors complaining about Downtown councilors meddling in local affairs is rich, considering all the meddling they do into downtown affairs. And I say this living in Crawford's Scarborough ward!

The level of opposition blocking the subway to Scarborough from downtown councilors was disproportionate to anything I have seen.

The level of opposition blocking the subway to Scarborough from downtown councilors was disproportionate to anything I have seen.

Because it's akin to running a GO train to Sauble Beach. It passes through a whole bunch of communities that aren't densely populated to land in an area that likely won't use it to get downtown. It's spending money in populist ways, not smart ways. Especially when it means projects like the Relief Line (which DOES help suburban commuters) will continue remain unfunded as it has been for decades (https://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5113.shtml). Just because Scarborough wants and feels it "deserves" a subway, doesn't mean it makes sense. Self-proclaimed "fiscally conservative" politicians seemed awfully willing to spend money on a subway–that studies say won't help a whole lot—to stoke resentment towards the downtown.

Gardiner East rebuild and Jarvis bike lane are 2 examples where suburban councillors have given direction to the downtown landscape against the wishes of the local councillors.

The difference being that the kibitzing opposition won fairly quickly in the above cases instead of it being a long-drawn out process. What you're actually complaining about is the opposition is too weak to kill the project efficiently. Few on this forum would argue against giving downtown (and Southern Etobicoke) more representation.

Last edited:
Because it's akin to running a GO train to Sauble Beach. It passes through a whole bunch of communities that aren't densely populated to land in an area that likely won't use it to get downtown. It's spending money in populist ways, not smart ways. Especially when it means projects like the Relief Line (which DOES help suburban commuters) will continue remain unfunded as it has been for decades (https://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5113.shtml). Just because Scarborough wants and feels it "deserves" a subway, doesn't mean it makes sense. Self-proclaimed "fiscally conservative" politicians seemed awfully willing to spend money on a subway–that studies say won't help a whole lot—to stoke resentment towards the downtown.

Let's dial this back. Transit Advocate Steve Munro has acknowledged that the case for the Scarborough Subway isn't THAT bad; though he preferred the LRT option.

What we can all reasonably object to is 1-stop version which is absurd and works for no one; misrepresenting data on both sides (I can provide citations if desired); and an entire debate framed more by political machinations that good policy OR good politics.

Back