News   Apr 16, 2024
 786     0 

Trudeau's virtue signalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

buildup

Member Bio
Reaction score
When people utter politically correct statements, without putting skin in the game. Eg: Trudeau sticking his nose into Saudi politics , when its unclear SA want democracy (as opposed to theocracy). So here we go SA indirectly threatening to stoke terrorism in Toronto.
  • Saudi Arabia has expelled Canada’s ambassador, frozen new trade deals with the country, and threatened “to interfere in Canadian domestic affairs.” The moves are a response to Canada’s call for Riyadh to release civil rights activists.
So annoyed with our busy-body PM, who seems utterly concerned with image over substance. While Trudeau is big on posturing, I've noticed one thing he's careful about is lecturing the US on borders since Trump could just point immigrants North.

Last edited:
Haha, if a bunch of idiots from Saudi Arabia think that posting stupid sh*t like the above reflects badly upon our PM, I think they will have to review their country's record of promoting extremism. As to sticking our noise in their business, well, those who live in the glass house called Yemen really shouldn't be throwing stones.

As to "uttering politically correct statements" - I wonder if you'd consider our historical stance against apartheid and other human rights abuses under various brands of extremism "virtue signalling"?

AoD

Last edited:
I'm not arguing against Virtue, but against Virtue-signalling. Specifically, cases where your social status is elevated (rewarded) by taking a virtuous public stance, but where you don't risk or sacrifice anything in the process. For example:
  • If Trudeau cancelled the armoured personnel carrier deal with the Saudis and killed 500 Canadian jobs (& voters) that would be a risk.
  • Or if we sent money & assistance to Nelson Mandela, which we did, that would be virtuous.
But I can't stand people who complain about racism but say laugh cowardly when their boss makes a racist joke, etc.
Vitue & Virtue-signallig are co,pletely different.

Anyway, Apartheid was different. Blacks had no rights so it was incumbent on us to support them. I dont see much evidence that the people of Saudia Arabia are hankering for democracy. If they wan tit, they can get it.

To be honest, fu** Saudi Arabia. I couldn't give a toss about those barbarian bastards. I mean, to me, they're like the Chinese or Venezuelan (et al) states: straight goons who need to be relegated to the rubbish bin of history.

Also, the term "virtue signalling" is ridiculous nonsense. It precludes anyone from actually having any sort of belief lest they be branded with this rubbish term. It belongs in the bin beside that other contemporary bollocks "lived experience".

Anyway, I say all this as a definite non-fan of Trudeau.

Anyway, Apartheid was different. Blacks had no rights so it was incumbent on us to support them. I dont see much evidence that the people of Saudia Arabia are hankering for democracy. If they wan tit, they can get it.

Women in Saudia Arabia have no rights either. Ok. Fine. Very minimal rights.
They're treated almost as chattel. It's a joke.

In fact, I'm pretty sure blacks in apartheid South Africa had more rights than women in Saudi Arabia. Or just about the same. Definitely not less.

Apartheid South Africa = Saudi Arabia = China = Venezuela.

It's all the same swine.

The entire world should be severing trade ties with Saudi Arabia over their human rights issues. They kill people for being gay, treat women like slaves. But women can drive as of a few weeks ago! and only 120 years after the invention of the motor vehicle. Islam is a dangerous warped stone age ideology.

Islam is a dangerous warped stone age ideology.

Any belief system has equal potential to be wielded like a weapon for power. Not just Islam.

China: atheist
Burma: Buddhist
Israeli orthodox terrorists.
American "Christian" hate mongers.
Indian Sikh and Hindu extremists.

Man, the list of misguided folk is long.

Any belief system has equal potential to be wielded like a weapon for power. Not just Islam.

China: atheist
Burma: Buddhist
Israeli orthodox terrorists.
American "Christian" hate mongers.
Indian Sikh and Hindu extremists.

Man, the list of misguided folk is long.

Yes those religions do have potential to be wielded like a weapons, but right now the belief system that is responsible for the most carnage and violence in the world today is without a doubt Islam.

Yes those religions do have potential to be wielded like a weapons, but right now the belief system that is responsible for the most carnage and violence in the world today is without a doubt Islam.

Yeaaaaah, I'm not even sure how to respond to this.

I mean, other than you not having any proof for this save a personal observation based on a selective reading of media.

Even if true, it doesn't mean that anyone acting to keep down their fellow man is not an evil swine.

They're all the same. Picking favourites is counterproductive.

Yeaaaaah, I'm not even sure how to respond to this.

I mean, other than you not having any proof for this save a personal observation based on a selective reading of media.

Even if true, it doesn't mean that anyone acting to keep down their fellow man is not an evil swine.

They're all the same. Picking favourites is counterproductive.

But they aren't the same. Christian, Hindu, Buddhist majority countries, will not kill me for being gay. Yemen, Mauritania, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan and Somalia all rule the death penalty as the price for being gay in accordance to Sharia law.

But they aren't the same. Christian, Hindu, Buddhist majority countries, will not kill me for being gay. Yemen, Mauritania, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan and Somalia all rule the death penalty as the price for being gay in accordance to Sharia law.

Well, yeah, any place that is ruled by religious law is a joke, but I don't think you'd have a good go of it being gay in El Salvador, India, or Burma. It may not be the state that kills you, but the outcome could be the same.

The point isn't really the religion itself. All belief systems (not just religions) are as varied as the people who believe in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back