News   Apr 17, 2024
 447     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 297     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     1 

GTHA Transit Fare Integration

I live right at College Station and I walk to the Scotiabank Theatre to save the $3.00 each way. If it was cheaper, I'd be more inclined to TTC it. Call me cheap, but I agree that they're losing my fare being a downtown person who avoids taking the subway to save money.

You're just one person and you're not watching movies very often. For every dollar they get from someone like you, they'd lose several from existing passengers who now pay a lower fare.

Put me down as another person who lives downtown and barely takes transit because it's not worth paying $3 for a one-way trip. However, I will sometimes take transit for short distances when the Presto hack allows me to do a round-trip for $3.

For the third time, for every three of us who might use transit on a short trip for $2.00 but not for $3.00, there are hundreds of people who would make the trip at $3.00, and the TTC would lose a dollar from each of them. We're just a few transit-obsessed people saying "I might take transit if it was cheaper for short trips." The TTC has actually studied this and figured out that it'll have very little benefit and a huge negative impact on their revenue.

For the third time, for every three of us who might use transit on a short trip for $2.00 but not for $3.00, there are hundreds of people who would make the trip at $3.00, and the TTC would lose a dollar from each of them. We're just a few transit-obsessed people saying "I might take transit if it was cheaper for short trips." The TTC has actually studied this and figured out that it'll have very little benefit and a huge negative impact on their revenue.
Can you show me the study? Not going to take your word for it when you're wrong about so many things on this forum.

You're just one person and you're not watching movies very often. For every dollar they get from someone like you, they'd lose several from existing passengers who now pay a lower fare.

I was only speaking for myself unlike you who uses personal anecdotal evidence as if it's fact. Plus, the Scotiabank was just one example because I was on my way there. Believe it or not, there are many other places I go downtown way more often than the movies (of which I go pretty often) that I also walk to because I'd rather save the $3.00 each way.

I'm just saying they'd have my business if I didn't pay the same price to go three subway stops as someone from Scarborough going to Etobicoke.

Now that the increased subsidization of TTC/Metrolinx trips has been cancelled we should revisit true fare integration. Assuming

1. There is zero additional subsidy by each level of gov't
2. Ontario forces it upon every municipality
3. Subway is uploaded (and again no new money to transit...if Toronto has lowered costs than Ontario gives Toronto less money elsewhere)

What does everyone see as the ideal fare structure? Again no wild spending but a plan that could be sold to the PC's.

Now that the increased subsidization of TTC/Metrolinx trips has been cancelled we should revisit true fare integration. Assuming

3. Subway is uploaded (and again no new money to transit...if Toronto has lowered costs than Ontario gives Toronto less money elsewhere)

What does everyone see as the ideal fare structure? Again no wild spending but a plan that could be sold to the PC's.

A one size fits all pass for transit in the province. Basically a pass that will let you go from Windsor to Ottawa on one fare. This would be easier to stomach and keep everyone happy if it is properly done. It would be at a premium cost though given it would be province wide.

I doubt anyone would agree with unlimited transit from Windsor to Thunder Bat for 146 dollars a month.

My idea...(it assumes tap on, tap off...if not you are charges highest fare)

1. Fixed flat amount that covers up to 1 transfer
2. Fee for all GO Train parking lots
3. Fixed fee for transit without dedicated ROW (first 5 km only) -- to discourage hop on, hop off which slows down service
4. Per km fee for all dedicated ROW travel (and all rides >5 km). Add'l premium for premium services if they are at capacity (UPX)
5. Rush hour premium (7:30-9, 4-6 departures)
6. Airport surchage

Then you have to look at the average TTC user and GO Train user (the vast majority of people). They should remain paying the same fare. There will be winners and losers but on average it should net out.

GO Train (Assume Pickering to Union)

Previous - $8.60
Proposed - $8.50
1. Fixed = $1
2. Parking = $3
3. n/a
4. Per km = 34 km x $0.10 = 3.40
5 Rush hour on per km $3.40 x 33% = 1.10
6. n/a

TTC (Eglinton & Keele to Union ... pre-Crosstown)
Previous= $3
Proposed = $2.90
1. Fixed $1
2. n/a
3. no dedicated ROW = $1
4. Per km = 7km x $0.10 = $0.70
5 Rush hour on per km $0.70 x 33% = 0.20

Yes, my usage definitely increased with the de facto 2 hour transfer
Or if you just tapped out of a GO ride within the last hours (or so) - not sure what the rule is here.

The 50% discount rule for GO connected TTC rides, has some interesting interactions...

I have noticed a weird behavior that I got charged two separate $1.50 fares for taking two separate back-and-forth TTC not long after a GO ride.

I thought it would have been $1.50 then $3.00 but I still got two separate consecutive discounted TTC fares for two separate TTC trips (roundtrip) made shortly after my GO ride. But it stays discounted for both separate TTC trips made after GO.

Last edited:
Or if you just tapped out of a GO ride within the last hours (or so) - not sure what the rule is here.

I have noticed a weird behavior that I got charged two separate $1.50 fares for taking two separate back-and-forth TTC not long after a GO ride. I thought it would have been $1.50 then $3.00 but I still got two separate consecutive discounted TTC fares for two separate TTC trips (roundtrip) made shortly after my GO ride.
Within two or three hours of tapping on?

The 50% discount rule for GO connected TTC rides, has some interesting interactions...

I have noticed a weird behavior that I got charged two separate $1.50 fares for taking two separate back-and-forth TTC not long after a GO ride.

I thought it would have been $1.50 then $3.00 but I still got two separate consecutive discounted TTC fares for two separate TTC trips (roundtrip) made shortly after my GO ride. But it stays discounted for both separate TTC trips made after GO.
Ah oh you are in deep trouble better turn yourself in lol

I'm just saying they'd have my business if I didn't pay the same price to go three subway stops as someone from Scarborough going to Etobicoke.

That sounds like you are saying you would be equally moved to use transit for your short trips if they left your fare alone and hiked the Scarborough-Etobicoke fare to $5!;)

Back