News   May 06, 2024
 453     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 732     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

That comment is both dramatic and ridiculous. If one is saying that we should do better, I agree. I don’t envy the public sector. The competing views and demands are many, and the freedom to make decisions sometimes limited. Some of you hold them to high account. It is hard to have many masters and all of us should not lose sight of that.
Well answer me this, since no-one is taking lower staff to issue:

Why hasn't City Hall, namely Tory and Council, petitioned Il Duce when he was Transportation Minister for powers available under the HTA, namely:

PART XVI
PILOT PROJECTS

Pilot projects
228 (1) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may by regulation authorize or establish a project for research into or the testing or evaluation of any matter governed by this Act or relevant to highway traffic. 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 33 (1).

[...]
Regulation to create own scheme of rules
(4) A regulation made under this section may regulate the doing of anything or the use of any thing or prohibit the doing of anything or the using of any thing. 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 33 (1).
[...]
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08/v73+

The City is in way over its head, and way over its ability to finance what needs to be done, let alone doing it.

One and a half million $ budgeted for this...the third largest carrier of passengers in Toronto, second only to subway Line One and Two. A $M and a Half stinkin' dollars.

What a sick fuggin' joke...

And now they have Ford to deal with. Good luck getting the new TranMin to co-operate on this now...

And as I Google for "John Tory traffic wardens" I get:
Where are they?

I saw traffic wardens every day for a week a couple weeks ago at Front and Spadina. Now they are gone and the intersection is back to its normal carnival circus.
I haven’t seen any wardens at King and Spadina and boy does that intersection need them...

^ Does anyone know the latest on this? Lots of promises, evidently nothing to show for it:
Mayor Tory asks Wynne to grant enhanced powers to TTC enforcement officers

Chris Fox, CTV Toronto
Published Tuesday, January 3, 2017 11:57AM EST
Last Updated Tuesday, January 3, 2017 12:53PM EST
Mayor John Tory has penned an open letter to Premier Kathleen Wynne in which he asks her to grant enhanced powers to TTC enforcement officers that would allow them to direct traffic during transit disruptions and ticket vehicles blocking routes.

The TTC board approved the idea in principal on Dec. 20, however in order to go into effect the province must sign off on changes to the Highway Traffic Act and the Provincial Offences Act.

In his letter, which is dated Jan. 2, Tory says he believes that giving the TTC’s enforcement officers the power to direct traffic during service disruptions will “keep transit and traffic as a whole moving and ensure that TTC riders get more reliable service.”

Tory also says that by giving TTC enforcement officers the power to direct traffic, Toronto police officers will be freed up top focus on “other key priority areas.”

Special constables employed by GO Transit and Ottawa’s OC Transpo already have similar powers as the ones being requested by Tory.

“The ability for Transit Enforcement Officers to direct traffic will support our efforts to keep traffic moving in a growing city,” Tory wrote. “As you know, I am dedicated to getting Toronto moving and fighting congestion in any way possible.”
[...]
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mayor-to...-powers-to-ttc-enforcement-officers-1.3225626

And this year:
Toronto's proposed budget includes $9M for initiatives aimed at curbing traffic
Chris Fox, CTV News Toronto
Published Tuesday, February 6, 2018 12:03PM EST
Last Updated Tuesday, February 6, 2018 1:02PM EST

The city’s proposed budget for 2018 will include $9 million in funding for a package of initiatives aimed at speeding up traffic and “making a difference in people’s commute,” Mayor John Tory says.

Tory made the comment to reporters during a news conference at the intersection of Bay and Queen streets, where he highlighted the proposed investments in congestion management.

The $9 million in funding includes, $1.6 million to hire 16 full-time traffic wardens, $477,000 to establish two additional “quick clear teams” to remove cars blocking lanes on major roadways and $2.7 million for the purchase of smart traffic signals, which are able to communicate with one another and be re-timed according to traffic conditions.

The city previously introduced a pilot project this past fall, where it introduced smart traffic signals at 22 different intersections.

“We owe it to drivers, cyclist, pedestrians and transit riders to make sure the city moves in the best way possible as quickly as possible,” Mayor John Tory said. “Challenging as it may be to keep ahead of traffic in a growing city, we are investing millions of new dollars this year (in traffic initiatives) while also trying to keep the city affordable by holding the line on tax increases.”

Traffic wardens will be civilian employees

The city previously placed a number of Toronto police officers at select major intersections to act as traffic wardens as part of a pilot project in 2016.

The data from that pilot project indicated that when those officers were actively engaged in managing vehicles and pedestrians, it resulted in a 90 per cent reduction in intersection blockage by vehicles and a 70 per cent reduction in intersection blockage by pedestrians.

Tory said that the traffic wardens being hired in 2018 will be civilian employees with the authority to direct vehicles and pedestrians and write tickets. The power to issue tickets is the result of recent changes to the provincial Highway Traffic Act that were requested by the city.

“In order to write tickets these traffic wardens have to be special constables and that has carried some legislative requirements that we have had to meet but they will be in the field this year,” Tory said. “I think when we actually deploy these traffic wardens into the streets in the spring it will make a difference. We wouldn’t be doing it if it didn’t make a difference.”

The proposed budget is being considered by the city’s executive committee today. It will then be finalized during a special meeting of council scheduled for February 12-13.
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/toronto-...nitiatives-aimed-at-curbing-traffic-1.3791682

And where are they?

While waiting for a westbound 504 at Yonge today, the first car in the last 15 minutes show up as a 514 with a 2nd one behind it and follow by a 504. Lots of bunching and gap going eastbound.

90% of cars using King illegal went through the intersection. 2 cars made illegal left hand turn onto Yonge going eastbound.

Drivers refused to read signs and those who did, still disobey them.

The 504 announced just before Queen that the ramp wouldn't be used between Queen and Dundas West Station and have never heard this before. Then, very rare in that area these days.

Even saw a driver from California talking on his cell phone as he drove east on King.

Time to remove the right to drive on the roads, since over 50% fail to obey the laws in the first place. While waiting for my bus at 8:10 am, almost every driver fail to stop for the red light before turning right. Most made the turn illegal thinking it was a green, not read.

Picked up a Lyft at King and Portland last night, need to go north on University. Instead of going east on Adelaide, my driver went straight along King breaking every King St pilot rule. Nearly every other car did the same. No enforcement in sight. On a positive note, King was absolutely hopping. None of the curb side patios were in use, however, which seemed odd on such a warm night.
And you still paid him?

Shame!

And you still paid him?

Shame!
That's an interesting point.
TORONTO MUNICIPAL CODE CHAPTER 546, LICENSING OF VEHICLES-FOR-HIRE APPENDIX E TAXICAB BILL OF RIGHTS
[...]
Taxicab Drivers must:
[...]
obey all traffic laws
[...]
Passengers: [...] can direct the driver on the route to be taken
[...]
Failing to pay your fare is illegal, and may lead to prosecution.
https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/toronto-code-546.pdf Pg 82

No remedy is stated for the passenger if the driver doesn't "obey all traffic laws". There must be a case-law decision on this somewhere.

The 504 announced just before Queen that the ramp wouldn't be used between Queen and Dundas West Station and have never heard this before. Then, very rare in that area these days.

Because of the platforms on rouncesvale being not designed properly for the new cars or being designed before they were completed the design process ther is an issue with the ramp getting damaged because of them.

Because of the platforms on rouncesvale being not designed properly for the new cars or being designed before they were completed the design process ther is an issue with the ramp getting damaged because of them.
I am aware of the platform issues, but it was announced last year that the ramps wouldn't be used for them until they were fix.

I assuming a few issues have risen where riders have requested the use of ramp and the new announcement is to inform them that the ramps can't be used with no time frame as to when.

A few months ago, this announcement wasn't heard when I last rode a Flexity on the route.

What's with the trees in those giant bags they are transported in sitting on King just west of Simcoe? I thought it was a temporary thing until they are planted in the ground or in a proper planter. But they've been there now a few weeks and it seems like an installation as part of the pilot for the summer.

I can understand the city wants to showcase that the liberated space can be used for trees, which I'm all for. But this looks so amateur.

Those bags are pretty massive but how long can a tree survive in there?

What's with the trees in those giant bags they are transported in sitting on King just west of Simcoe? I thought it was a temporary thing until they are planted in the ground or in a proper planter. But they've been there now a few weeks and it seems like an installation as part of the pilot for the summer.

I can understand the city wants to showcase that the liberated space can be used for trees, which I'm all for. But this looks so amateur.

Those bags are pretty massive but how long can a tree survive in there?
A long time, IF they are watered - look at the above-ground concrete tree boxes you can see elsewhere.

And all those people driving straight through ANGRY REACT
I know breaking the law is unacceptable, but I just want to mention one thing. Assuming you're not informed about the King Street Pilot, if you're at an intersection a a red light and there's a streetcar in front of you. Since streetcars are pretty tall and you'd likely be driving very close to the streetcar, you wouldn't be able to see the no going straight signs until you're already halfway through the intersection.

So a small problem is not being able to see the signs. Maybe adding more no going straight signs should be added a bit farther away from the intersection, so that if you're tailgating a streetcar, you would be able to see it before it's too late. Maybe hanging next to/above the wires.

I know breaking the law is unacceptable, but I just want to mention one thing. Assuming you're not informed about the King Street Pilot, if you're at an intersection a a red light and there's a streetcar in front of you. Since streetcars are pretty tall and you'd likely be driving very close to the streetcar, you wouldn't be able to see the no going straight signs until you're already halfway through the intersection.

So a small problem is not being able to see the signs. Maybe adding more no going straight signs should be added a bit farther away from the intersection, so that if you're tailgating a streetcar, you would be able to see it before it's too late. Maybe hanging next to/above the wires.

Just don't go overboard with English language only signage.

From link.

KR-pedzone-tram&bikersa.jpg

Note the use of cobblestones between the tram tracks.

KR-pedzone-tram-side-viewa.jpg

Note the use of simple bollards, not jersey barriers.

Back