News   May 02, 2024
 677     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 371     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 309     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

certianly not for free, but it could be a nice option for someone wanting to drive.

I believe Amtrak used to operate several routes like that, but it was too expensive and few people used the service.

Edit:

Amtrak does it between the suburbs of Washington and Orlando:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Train
Brilliant. I always wondered about something like this to cottage country. Wow. This one is straight outta my transit geek fantasies.

Been told major construction taking place for about 30 km west of London on the 401, with traffic down to a single lane each way . This is to allow barriers to be built in the medium, due to number of trucks ending up there the last few year.

I am surprise that this area is not 6 lanes with all the traffic it sees today.

All barriers should be higher like the US to the point you never see on coming traffic headlights, as well having trucks climb the current ones built in the last 10 years.

Brilliant. I always wondered about something like this to cottage country. Wow. This one is straight outta my transit geek fantasies.

it takes 2 hours to load the vehicles. So it's perfect for the 800+ mile route. Go to sleep and the next morning you are in Florida But it would not work for the short jaunt up to cottage country.

honestly even at the distance it is it seems to be a rather poor option. Driving that distance takes about 11 hours - the train takes around 20, plus whatever time extra to drive the distance to your destination. I would almost rather drive at that point.

it takes 2 hours to load the vehicles. So it's perfect for the 800+ mile route. Go to sleep and the next morning you are in Florida But it would not work for the short jaunt up to cottage country.

Part of the reason it takes so long is the length of the train. If you ran smaller trains more frequently, you'd have lower load times. But yes, it's really only suitable for an 8+ hour drive.

I wouldn't mind having one of those in the summer months to get out east though. Run it from Toronto (most likely Oshawa, actually, due to the auto-centric nature of the train) to Moncton, which is pretty much the transportation centre of the Maritimes. Once you've done that Aut 20/Aut 85/Rte 2 drive more than a couple times, it greatly loses its appeal as far as scenery is concerned. I'd much rather go to sleep and wake up in Moncton.

Detroit-Orlando would almost certianly be worth it. You get to spend a day relaxing on the train instead of staring down a highway for a day and a half. Cutting 20+ hours of driving is worth it to me, but 11 hours is manageable in a day.. I would rather just drive it. Thats me at least.

Detroit-Orlando would almost certianly be worth it. You get to spend a day relaxing on the train instead of staring down a highway for a day and a half. Cutting 20+ hours of driving is worth it to me, but 11 hours is manageable in a day.. I would rather just drive it. Thats me at least.

Agreed. If you've mentally prepped yourself to drive halfway, you can drive the full thing. From Detroit on the other hand would be a totally different story. Though I would think that starting it from Toledo would likely be better, that way it would be a direct driving line from Chicago and Cleveland as well. Even the Auto Train starts 30 min south of Washington.

So now that we have the PCs as the ruling party, do you think the provincial government may change up some of the planned / proposed projects?

Maybe some more widening? New highways like GTA west maybe?

Or perhaps cuts / scaling down projects to save some $. Example: Extending the 400 towards Sudbury is not cheap.

So now that we have the PCs as the ruling party, do you think the provincial government may change up some of the planned / proposed projects?

Or perhaps cuts / scaling down projects to save some $. Example: Extending the 400 towards Sudbury is not cheap.
6 laning all of Highway 401 seems probable and building the GTA West Highway 413 seems likely to me.

Judging by the fact the remaining section is averaging a fatal accident every couple months.... something does need to be done about Highway 69. Although everything not under construction is jammed by Aboriginal Negotiations.

Back