News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 609     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 896     0 

Canadian Tire

I think we also need to drop the stereotypes that blue collar folks have to behave in a certain un-urban manner as well.

AoD

I think we also need to drop the stereotype that, beyond being civil and legal and the requirements of their employer, anyone has to behave in any particular way at all.

I was more responding to a post that said such people lacked style. Some people actually go to work in the clothes they buy there.

I am a huge fan of Mark's work warehouse. They have clothes for the basic industries. Basic styles and designs, nothing fancy, just something simple to get you through the 9 - 5.

Canadian Tire is such a miserable shopping experience. With the odd exception, Canadian Tire has the worst customer service of any big box store. A lot of the stores are rundown and horribly laid out, good luck navigating the labyrinth of the store with a shopping cart! I'm glad see they have remolded some of their stores, it was long over due!

Canadian Tire is such a miserable shopping experience. With the odd exception, Canadian Tire has the worst customer service of any big box store. A lot of the stores are rundown and horribly laid out, good luck navigating the labyrinth of the store with a shopping cart! I'm glad see they have remolded some of their stores, it was long over due!

No argument. It seems our local store re-arranges its layout about once a year and the current version makes absolutely no sense. I am convinced that having us wandering aimlessly is part of their master plan. They also have one of the worst performing website on the planet.

I am a huge fan of Mark's work warehouse. They have clothes for the basic industries. Basic styles and designs, nothing fancy, just something simple to get you through the 9 - 5.

Mark's has another specialty besides practicality which is larger sizes. Its an important market niche.

No argument. It seems our local store re-arranges its layout about once a year and the current version makes absolutely no sense. I am convinced that having us wandering aimlessly is part of their master plan. They also have one of the worst performing website on the planet.

I wonder if there's a maxim in this retail segment concerning re-merchandising? @Tuscani01 might know.

I know in grocery there's a core belief that by shifting around certain products that are popular you will get people to see other products they may not have considered buying or buying from you.

This is most true in produce departments.

I've always questioned its validity in that I'm not at all clear that annoying someone by making them figure out where the tomatoes went will suddenly cause them to buy eggplant.

Re-orgs in bakery are fairly common too, much less so in other perimeter departments (meat and dairy) and whole sale reorganization of grocery aisles is relatively rare, tending to be associated
w/major renos or adding large new assortments (Joe Fresh, or Beer/Wine) .

The issue with a lot of the CT Stores is that the layout is dependant on what the dealer (store owner) wants. A lot of the dealers are also in an older age bracket and what you will start to see is a shift in the overall presentation of the stores as older dealers reach retirement and new younger dealers take over. The problem is dealers have a large amount of say and they stick around for a long time so the corporation tries its best to make changes to better the experience however the dealer has the final say in terms of store layout as well as personnel on the floor. It's a very tricky balancing act that CT has to manage

The issue with a lot of the CT Stores is that the layout is dependant on what the dealer (store owner) wants. A lot of the dealers are also in an older age bracket and what you will start to see is a shift in the overall presentation of the stores as older dealers reach retirement and new younger dealers take over. The problem is dealers have a large amount of say and they stick around for a long time so the corporation tries its best to make changes to better the experience however the dealer has the final say in terms of store layout as well as personnel on the floor. It's a very tricky balancing act that CT has to manage

That confirms what the manager of our local store told me. I think the owner is constantly trying to eke out and maximize every inch of floor space he has available to him in the face larger corporate inventory; larger both in terms of selection as well as physical space requirements of some items. Add to that the seemingly constant changeover of seasonal or holiday stock and a visit takes on a bit of a scavenger hunt atmosphere.

That confirms what the manager of our local store told me. I think the owner is constantly trying to eke out and maximize every inch of floor space he has available to him in the face larger corporate inventory; larger both in terms of selection as well as physical space requirements of some items. Add to that the seemingly constant changeover of seasonal or holiday stock and a visit takes on a bit of a scavenger hunt atmosphere.

Exactly. CT owns the building and the store owner owns the inventory. In their mind, the more inventory the owner fills his store with the more he can sell. Unfortunately too much inventory can be a bad thing. The better run stores leverage their space and present their inventory much more efficiently while making the customer experience a lot better.

Back