News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 382     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Canadian Tire

The project I've been working on for the past year finally opened in Calgary last week. (New urban CT) Skyrisecities Calgary did a little write up with some pics:

https://calgary.skyrisecities.com/news/2018/10/canadian-tire-opens-its-doors-beltline

The exterior is a big improvement over the CT default look in the GTA, as is more low-rise shelving/better sightlines on the inside.

I do think the interior might have benefited from a splash of warmth, maybe adding colour to the structural columns?

Why can't out CT look like that - wide aisles and don't have the fire hazard look?
AoD

Give them time; those aisles will likely be full of product bins and stands (or staff stocking carts) soon. I hope there's an elevator. I'd hate to have to schlepp my new BBQ or patio furniture down the stairs.

Give them time; those aisles will likely be full of product bins and stands (or staff stocking carts) soon. I hope there's an elevator. I'd hate to have to schlepp my new BBQ or patio furniture down the stairs.

You are probably right. The other super annoying thing about CT - mixing clearly well used open box items with regular stock without indicating them as such. It's absolutely garbage business practice (having bought several solar lawn bollard lights - all look opened, all failed to operate and/or assemble properly - and all returned again).

AoD

You are probably right. The other super annoying thing about CT - mixing clearly well used open box items with regular stock without indicating them as such. It's absolutely garbage business practice (having bought several solar lawn bollard lights - all look opened, all failed to operate and/or assemble properly - and all returned again).

AoD

We just have to hold out for @Tuscani01 's inevitable rise to CEO of Canadian Tire Corp, then he can fix all this, and the Marks brand while he's at it.

Just another decade or two......

:D

The exterior is a big improvement over the CT default look in the GTA, as is more low-rise shelving/better sightlines on the inside.

I do think the interior might have benefited from a splash of warmth, maybe adding colour to the structural columns?

I wanted a black ceiling, but that idea got nixed.

3 elevators, and a cartveyor for shopping carts.

We just have to hold out for @Tuscani01 's inevitable rise to CEO of Canadian Tire Corp, then he can fix all this, and the Marks brand while he's at it.

Just another decade or two......

:D

Noooo thanks! I like the development/planning side of things. All those customer service/retail issues make me glad I don't have anything to do with them!

Last edited:
Had a site visit this week at the Liberty Village location. Here’s a few shots from inside the space:

04D22FF5-7E2E-46C9-BD8B-B3F133B1D908.jpeg
3B4F763B-4BE8-41C9-B5BA-1B5752F6FB5B.jpeg
73523398-DC2A-469B-AE61-C24E68AAC1E1.jpeg
A905A632-338A-4056-9D55-2AD9E72484E9.jpeg

I ordered a dog grooming kit from Canadian Tire at Leslie St. last Thursday. The website said the kit was in stock and I need only pay for it now and it would be available for roadside pick-up. Well, almost five days later and nothing, so I called the store and they said maybe a few more days before they get to me. So, folks if you need anything from Canadian Tire during this pandemic, plan on up to a week before they tell you it's available for pick-up.

I had the completely opposite experience. We've placed two orders with CT, both at about 10 pm and had emails that the product was ready by 9 am the following morning.

I just stopped buying things. If I can't look it over myself they can keep it.

I think after this plague is done, I'm sticking to pubs, restaurants, book shops, record shops, groceries, and....no, that's it.
My clothing can last a decade. My furniture 4 or 5. My electronics are constantly under threat of becoming "obsolete" but still retain full or almost full functionality.

Buy less, live more. It's time.

Also, specific to CT, they sell A LOT of poorly made rubbish lowest common denominator, cheap Asian factory slave labour goods in my experience. And I can't even look it over once or twice at the moment? Nah, I'm good.

The missus took the clippers to one of our mutts who tends to matt quickly. It wasn't pretty. She's not getting near me!

We have also pretty much suspended buy anything except food. The list is getting long once things open up but, for now, I don't need stuff to accomplish things I can't do anyway. I have a room to paint and a snowblower to fix so it would be nice to get those out of the way, but, meh.

I haven't had to order anything from Canadian Tire during this time, but I have made a few orders for household maintenance items with Home Hardware. There's a location close to me where I can pick up the items once they've shipped.

For cleaning supplies luckily I've had a decent amount before the pandemic started. Since then I have been able to get deliveries of various items from Staples (paper towels, disposable gloves) and Bed Bath & Beyond (disinfecting wipes). I lucked out yesterday at Food Basics are saw some Lysol spray and cleaning liquid in stock. While for masks I ordered some disposable ones from Wal-Mart online (mostly for family), and also some reusable fabric ones from various local Toronto makers.

Back