News   Mar 28, 2024
 600     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 894     0 

Mimico

moon2n

Member Bio
Reaction score
This community asks more commercial projects, supermarket, stores, office space, parking lots....the only big land of previous Mr. Christie's Bakery is highly expected. Any updates?

mimico.jpg

Attachments

• mimico.jpg
    mimico.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,080
The next hot neighbourhood and quite close to downtown......
1761793643.jpg

Attachments

• 1761793643.jpg
    1761793643.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 752
Why don't they just extend the 76 Royal York South to Humber Bay Shores?
I was honestly thinking about that the other day. The current routing is odd, and residents are up in arms over the amount of buses going up Mimico Ave.

I'd send the 76 along Lake Shore to the Park Lawn/LSBW loop (will be disused after the odd 66B routing is changed this summer).

I was honestly thinking about that the other day. The current routing is odd, and residents are up in arms over the amount of buses going up Mimico Ave.

I'd send the 76 along Lake Shore to the Park Lawn/LSBW loop (will be disused after the odd 66B routing is changed this summer).

Where is that loop? Am I blind?

The 76 is a relatively short route (mad short....I remember the 54 Lawrence East of my youth), I don't see why adding a kilometre to it would be a big deal. Makes way more sense than adding a shuttle bus for the train station.

Where is that loop? Am I blind?

The 76 is a relatively short route (mad short....I remember the 54 Lawrence East of my youth), I don't see why adding a kilometre to it would be a big deal. Makes way more sense than adding a shuttle bus for the train station.
Southwest corner of the intersection. Hidden behind some foliage. One of the nicer loops I think.

Agreed. That shuttle bus is hilarious. Meant to serve the residents of HBS (read those east of Park Lawn) - doesn’t go east of Park Pawn. Hehe

Southwest corner of the intersection. Hidden behind some foliage. One of the nicer loops I think.

Oh....that one. Yeah, ok, I know that one. I thought there was one farther east that I somehow missed a thousand times. What's LSBW an acronym for?

A terrible crime against this neighborhood has just been committed. This was by far my favorite house in the whole of Mimico.

From the article:
Historic Mimico home demolished hours before Heritage Preservation hearing set to consider it for protection

By Francine KopunCity Hall Bureau

Mon., Nov. 30, 2020

Another developer has demolished a historic Toronto property that was being considered for protection by the city.

1606856419012.png

1606856447995.png

Alexander Basso acted before dawn on Monday to tear down a 97-year-old stone cottage in Mimico, leaving disappointed neighbours to watch from the curb as a bulldozer bucket swung through the roof and the walls of the property they had fought to save.

“When I went this morning at 6:10, that bucket had already swung,” said Charlotte Sheasby-Coleman, who occupied the veranda of the home for about eight hours on Saturday in an attempt to prevent its demolition.

“This has to change,” she said, referring to a loophole that permitted destruction of the little house, at 98 Superior Ave., even though it was being considered for addition to the city’s Heritage Register at a Preservation Board meeting held the morning it was demolished.

In fact, the Toronto Preservation Board’s first order of business on Monday was to vote to add two neighbouring homes like it to the Heritage Register, noting that it was sadly too late for 98 Superior.

“We are heartbroken,” said board member Paul Cordingley.

Basso watched the demolition of the building with his father. He initially declined to comment, and then called the Star back with a statement.

“My grandfather came to Canada from Italy in the 1950s and laid bricks for 40 years and he’s in a long-term-care home now, he’s 95 and the only thing that I regret from this situation was that he wasn’t there to experience it and see it with me because he would be so proud,” Basso said.

He declined to elaborate on why he knocked down the house instead of trying to incorporate it into the redevelopment.

According to the city, 98 Superior Ave., 96 Superior Ave., and 214 Queens Ave. together contained “a fine, unique collection of early-20th century stone cottages in the Mimico area.”

Built in 1923, 98 Superior Ave. incorporated elements of the British-inspired Cottage style, with symmetrically-arranged features and stone cladding, according to a report written by city heritage staff.

“There was a beauty in this house that always stayed with me,” said Lynn Taylor, 58, who grew up at 98 Superior Ave. “Even as a child, I knew our house felt different.”

Her father Alex Taylor bought the property for $14,000 in 1966 and sold it for $84,000 in 1982, Taylor said.

Property records show Basso paid $850,000 for the house in January.

Basso is following in the footsteps of developer Sam Mizrahi, who had the 114-year-old Stollerys building at Yonge St. And Bloor St. W. demolished even as Coun. Kristyn Wong-Tam was trying to have it added to the register, in January 2015.

These and other overnight and weekend demolitions are the reason city staff are seeking to have large numbers of properties across the city added to the Heritage Register, said Mayor John Tory, responding to a question at a press conference on Monday afternoon.

He said tearing down buildings in the dark of night is neither workable nor respectful.

“I think it’s really regrettable that when the owner, in this case, would have known there was a Preservation Board meeting today, that steps were then taken to tear the building down before a proper due-course hearing would have taken place to examine the merits of all this,” Tory said.

“I think we have to do better, and I think that some of the steps being taken by the planning department will assist with that, but I’m not sure if the system has been streamlined and been made effective to the degree it needs to, so you can have careful consideration of these things.”

Basso was able to obtain a demolition permit for the building because although it was being considered for the Heritage Register, it had not yet been added.

Adding a home to the Heritage Register means the property owner must give the city 60 days’ notice if they wish to demolish the building. That gives the city time to consider whether to designate the building.

Designated properties require permission under the Ontario Heritage Act for alterations or demolitions.

Under the rules of the Ontario Building Code, if a property owner applies for a residential demolition permit and the application meets the criteria set out in the Ontario Building Code, the permit must be issued within 10 days.

“As the property at 98 Superior Avenue was neither listed nor designated, the City could not withhold or delay the approval of a demolition permit for heritage reasons,” according to a response from the city to questions about the process.

“They didn’t do anything legally wrong — they highlighted a loophole in the system,” said neighbour Arwen Hunter.

“They outplayed us. They knew the system better than us.”

Image of what was from Google Street View as of October 2019

1606856648478.png

South Mimico Trail (which I take to be the long proposed bike path from Lake Shore northwards along the creek) shows as cash-flowing next year in the City of Toronto Parks budget.

1610724515266.png

Last edited:

Back