Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | Arcadis

http://dailycommercialnews.com/en-U...-takes-CN-Tower-view-to-new-heights-1026034W/

The second phase of the project is the complete redevelopment of the LookOut floor which begins in October. The CN Tower will again be partnering with PCL on the project.

"It's in early stages but the redevelopment will be the entire floor, updating HVAC and things like that as well, but again it's about the view...and really just making it a world class observation," said Jones. "We're competing with other towers around the world that are popping up in New York, London, Chicago and we want to stay modern and of value to the people that are visiting Toronto."

Improved energy efficiency was another goal of the project. The new glass units contain Thermochromic film as part of the structure, which is a technology that allows the glass to adjust its darkness based on sunlight and external temperature to improve energy efficiency and make it easier to take photos.

The first phase of the project involved replacing two out of the 12 column bays on the LookOut level with new floor-to-ceiling glazing overlooking the city and the waterfront. The column bays consist of seven sections each. Each glazing unit measures 1.61 metres wide by 2.62 metres high, with a thickness of 2.74 inches. Each panel of glass weighs 1,000 pounds.

I was surprised to see that this thread hasn’t been updated in a while even though it’s becoming clear that they’re actually replacing all the windows the entire way around. I looked up today and saw a large section being replaced, connecting other sections that had already been done. The ring appears seemless on that side. There are still a few sections with the old windows. I suspect that’s where the bar is on that floor. I’m guessing that they’ll eventually renovate the bar and replace those windows as well with floor to ceiling glazing.

The floor to ceiling is a sight to behold, particularly after being locked in the stale core for the stairclimb. So open and clear. And I hope others keep in mind that the Skypod is free while they're doing this construction. It's a steep cost otherwise, even for Torontonians that like high-angle oblique aerial views. Take advantage while you can.

The floor to ceiling is a sight to behold, particularly after being locked in the stale core for the stairclimb. So open and clear. And I hope others keep in mind that the Skypod is free while they're doing this construction. It's a steep cost otherwise, even for Torontonians that like high-angle oblique aerial views. Take advantage while you can.
That is great to hear! Do you know how long it will be free for? During all regular hours?

That is great to hear! Do you know how long it will be free for? During all regular hours?
I assume until they are done the construction in the main pod. Word of warning, even on regular days there can sometimes be a very long line-up to get into the SkyPod (since space is limited). Get there early and have a snack in hand!

On another note - we are into the 4th day of tower closure post ice-storm - given the impact on the tower and the surrounding businesses, perhaps it is time to look at solutions to the issue? Heat lamps? IR Lasers?

AoD

On another note - we are into the 4th day of tower closure post ice-storm - given the impact on the tower and the surrounding businesses, perhaps it is time to look at solutions to the issue? Heat lamps? IR Lasers?

AoD

I’m not convinced it’s an issue after the first couple of days. It’s a little silly now, blocking off everything within 500 metres when there’s little wind and the ice has all melted.

I’m not convinced it’s an issue after the first couple of days. It’s a little silly now, blocking off everything within 500 metres when there’s little wind and the ice has all melted.

I am not so sure whether it is a non-issue - it has happened before (for a shorter duration, if I recall correctly) and I am not sure if anyone should accept episodic falling ice in a big city as a matter of course - with enough force to damage nearby buildings at that.

AoD

Last edited:

They've blocked it off for good reason. The ice has remained an issue and probably will until tomorrow (when full sun and much milder temperatures can work their magic). Freezing rain is a strange animal. It's supercooled raindrops falling through a cold layer freezing onto everything they touch. But at ground level we had (mostly) ice pellets since the cold layer (about 3000 feet thick) was deep enough for those drops to freeze into little ice cubes. But the CN Tower pod had only about half that depth of cold air for the drops to fall into, given its height. So I believe most of those raindrops actually adherred to the Tower as freezing rain. And it may have been a little above zero degrees down here over the past two days...but not so much up there. On a brighter note: pretty spectacular sunny, mild stretch beginning this weekend.

Latest work on the new windows:

DSC07332.jpg

Attachments

• DSC07332.jpg
    DSC07332.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 491
Great renovation that looks to take nothing from the original design (once complete all around).

^^^Well, the proportions will be off or at least different.

If anything the new windows look to be about the same overall height as the restaurant above. Somewhat of an improvement, in my opinion at least.

Last edited:

Back