News   May 07, 2024
 896     3 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

FFC1601D-1B34-42C8-9A76-89352F673A72.jpeg

Attachments

• FFC1601D-1B34-42C8-9A76-89352F673A72.jpeg
    FFC1601D-1B34-42C8-9A76-89352F673A72.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 427
According to Triplinx, Kipling GO to Mimico GO is $4.71, while Kipling GO to Danforth GO is $7.51. Also, it is 35 min vs 30 min. Is my assumption of distance by zones from start to end instead of zones traveled in correct? o_O
Of course, no one would take GO from Kipling to Danforth instead of Line 2 right?
I wonder what happens if I tap on and tap off at the same station. When the RER era comes , I may hop on at Unionville, hit Union in 40 minutes, run my errands and go back to Unionville well within the 3 hour time frame. What fare should I pay?

That would count as two tap-ons, and a penalty fare for each. I forget how long the time period is set between consecutive taps at the same station, but there is one.

Last edited:
I wonder what happens if I tap on and tap off at the same station. When the RER era comes , I may hop on at Unionville, hit Union in 40 minutes, run my errands and go back to Unionville well within the 3 hour time frame. What fare should I pay?

I believe you would get fined for failure to pay your fare. GO's official instructions, from what I understand, are that if you're making a trip, you tap on at the beginning, and off at the end. Those are clearly 2 entirely separate trips, 3 hour window or not, so you should tap on at Unionville and off at Union, then on at Union and off at Unionville. This is what I do today for <3hr round trips Aurora-Union. It's great because you pay less than half price for the return trip, I don't know what more one could possibly demand.

I believe you would get fined for failure to pay your fare. GO's official instructions, from what I understand, are that if you're making a trip, you tap on at the beginning, and off at the end. Those are clearly 2 entirely separate trips, 3 hour window or not, so you should tap on at Unionville and off at Union, then on at Union and off at Unionville. This is what I do today for <3hr round trips Aurora-Union. It's great because you pay less than half price for the return trip, I don't know what more one could possibly demand.
Do you need to have default set on your card in order to enjoy the transfer credit on the return?

Do you need to have default set on your card in order to enjoy the transfer credit on the return?

I don't think so. I have done an override from Aurora to Downsview Park, then back from Downsview Park to Aurora, I still get the ~$5 off. I don't see why an Aurora-Union default would be required to get an Aurora-Downsview Park-Aurora discount. And from what I understand, pressing override makes your card act exactly like one with no default.

Um...that Th not fun! Can't find anything about this on the website.

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/fares/presto.aspx "BEFORE BOARDING THE TRAIN Tap ON by touching your card to the PRESTO Fare Payment Device at the station [...]
WHEN YOU ARRIVE Tap off by touching your card to the Fare Payment Device as you exit the station." Unless you are sitting in Union and then going straight back, these instructions directly state you must tap off.

Hence that the tap on at origin/tap off at destination thing is only intended for an actual transfer on a continuous trip i.e. you wouldn't leave the transfer station.

You actually get a bit of a discount. On the Lakeshore line right now: if you take a return trip within the 3hr window, you're return trip is around half the price.

You actually get a bit of a discount. On the Lakeshore line right now: if you take a return trip within the 3hr window, you're return trip is around half the price.

Are you certain? If you tap on at Port Credit, don't tap off or on anywhere else, then tap again at Port Credit it charges you a fare? What fare could it possibly charge you since it doesn't know where you went? I would think the machine would give an error or cancel the tap.

I took it to mean you would take Port Credit to Union, where you would tap off. Then you would tap back on at Union within the 3 hour window and tap off at Port Credit, so a quick trip into downtown.

I took it to mean you would take Port Credit to Union, where you would tap off. Then you would tap back on at Union within the 3 hour window and tap off at Port Credit, so a quick trip into downtown.

Ah, the previous post "I wonder what happens if I tap on and tap off at the same station. When the RER era comes , I may hop on at Unionville, hit Union in 40 minutes, run my errands and go back to Unionville well within the 3 hour time frame. What fare should I pay?" being replied to seemed quite clear to me as meaning tap on at unionville and off at unionville. If both posteres instead meant tap on at station A, tap off at station B, tap on at station B, tap off at station A, then yes, those are valid taps and within 3 hours that results in a discounted return trip.

Back