Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

anyone recall what the peak hour ridership projection pulling into sheppard west was for this line?

If I recall, expected ridership was around 30 million people per annuum. In other words, 100, 000 people per business day. We can safely assume that translates to 30-40k people per peak direction. Hourly, that’s between 7 and 15 K people. Directionally however, is more complicated. A lot of people are heading to York university, so reverse peak commutes can take up about half of that, and commutes downtown can take the other half. If you think about it, it’s 3.5-7.5 PPHPD during peak times. Those are regular LRT to LRT max numbers. This performs worse than the SSE. However, not all hope is lost; it’s an existing line being extended and allowing for reverse commute options, that’s the biggest thing with this extension; it fills up space that would never be filled up otherwise during the peak times. We also have to remember that it’s feeding directly into the spadina line; a line carrying around 250-300K passengers per day. Adding another 100K brings it to Yonge line levels of usage, this is excellent for system usage further down the line. However, questions of building the line are still being made due to prematurely built and overbuilt stations. (pioneer Village needs time for people to adjust, as well as finch west. York University is already insanely busy and VMC will only get more busy with newer developments. This leaves the two metrolinx stations, Downsview Park and Hwy 407. DP will see usage with RER in a few years and HWY 407 will see usage with all 407 go buses being rerouted through that station and fare integration). It needs time and a lot of it, but like with the Sheppard line, usage will come With developments and change in commute patterns. It’s just a matter of moving away from Yonge.

This is actually one of the biggest benefits of self-driving cars. Currently, if someone dies in a collision, police do an investigation, point fingers. Newspapers call it an "accident", if it even gets coverage, and there is no kind of change (either in infrastructure, laws, etc.) to prevent it from happening again. It takes about a dozen deaths per intersection before the city even starts considering doing any kind of engineering changes to the road.

As soon as people in self-driving cars get into collisions, there will be NTSB investigations, reams of data from the car, and a full-fledged investigation and round-the-clock news coverage. The approach will be more like train or plane crashes. Collisions will actually result in lessons learned, and changes that move forward into new software updates! There will be a systemic investigation of root causes! Preventative measures will actually be taken! And you will have the full financial weight of large automotive companies trying to mitigate these risks, since the manufacturer would be at fault, you can't point fingers at the driver.

We are way off the post topic but I'll respond before letting it go. The police don't "point fingers" - they investigate and lay charges when the evidence is available. Changes to infrastructure and laws is the land of politicians. The Transportation Safety Board (NTSB = US agency) conducts regulatory investigations involving federally regulated modes of transport. The make findings and recommendations but do not assess any form of liability or impose any sanction. Their recommendations go to the appropriate government department and, again, changes are up to the politicians. There are many instances of recommendations not acted upon. What many people don't know is that there may be parallel investigations involving the police, coroner, labour, etc. As soon as an investigation/action by the state has the potential to place someone in jeopardy, its actions are subject to the Charter. That's why many collisions investigations take so long: evidence and process take time.

I suppose all forms of transportation could become federal, or create a sort-of provincial TSB, but isn't that simply replacing one investigative body with another? Obviously, removing the 'human factor' will remove a significant aspect of any investigation, but scenes will still have to be attended and all the other investigative activities take place.

I suppose I don't share the sunny view that regulators, manufacturers, owners and victims will all go hand-in-hand toward a brighter future with no thought of determining whether there was fault or negligence. The Ford Pinto is but one example of how eager a corporation was to own up to a known deficiency.

The 39,000 US traffic deaths is compelling indeed (the Ontario rate is about 1/3 - I don't know if that means we are better at it or differences in data collection). I note that it has fallen to cause #2 behind poisoning/overdoses. I don't see an argument being made down there that legal drugs be banned. I suppose I have a more libertarian view of the role of the state.

How its doing is a big topic.

Pretty big crowds again Saturday night at VMC, but like last time most of them were in Leafs gear (although not quite as many as last time). So far, the station only seems to get busy on weekends if there's a game. Construction of the escalators/elevators to the Viva terminal does not seem to have progressed at all, except the screens at the bottom of the escalators showing next arrival times are now activated. The automatic doors also seem to be activated, but locked.

The wifi coverage at Highway 407 Station seems to have improved. I could get reception from all parts of the bus terminal, instead of having to stand in the middle near the escalators. But there's still construction equipment around the terminal, and the bus layover area is still not ready.

Pretty big crowds again Saturday night at VMC, but like last time most of them were in Leafs gear (although not quite as many as last time).

Were they driving, being picked up or transferring to local buses?

Were they driving, being picked up or transferring to local buses?

They seem to be heading in the direction of the parking lot. Hardly anyone heading to Viva like I was, especially eastbound (the Viva does see some decent usage sometimes, but the westbound platform always has more people waiting than the eastbound. Makes sense, with people heading to Brampton.)

Also another thing I forgot to mention was that many parts of the mezzanine at VMC were covered in clear plastic tarps, including the wall describing the art in the station. It wasn't like this the last time I was there.

Last edited:
Pretty big crowds again Saturday night at VMC, but like last time most of them were in Leafs gear (although not quite as many as last time). So far, the station only seems to get busy on weekends if there's a game. Construction of the escalators/elevators to the Viva terminal does not seem to have progressed at all, except the screens at the bottom of the escalators showing next arrival times are now activated. The automatic doors also seem to be activated, but locked.

The wifi coverage at Highway 407 Station seems to have improved. I could get reception from all parts of the bus terminal, instead of having to stand in the middle near the escalators. But there's still construction equipment around the terminal, and the bus layover area is still not ready.
Imagine once the Jays begin their season...

I wonder where the Leafs fans driving to VMC would have previously parked. Sheppard West and Yorkdale, I assume.

Cross posting from the fantasy thread: would it have been viable to end the TYSSE at Steeles and build a Jane BRT from Major Mac to PV terminal within the same funding envelope?

Back