News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 636     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

That’s not parking!
DFCA1B6F-D754-4D38-B252-5483E77D2226.jpeg

Attachments

• DFCA1B6F-D754-4D38-B252-5483E77D2226.jpeg
    DFCA1B6F-D754-4D38-B252-5483E77D2226.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 479
Technically that would be standing, not parking. I'm not condoning what they did and where they did it, but at least they were not driving while chatting on the phone.

From link:

You can get a ticket any time you're parked in a no-parking zone, even if you're sitting in the car, White says.

And, if there's a No Stopping or No Standing sign, then you can't stop there period, even if you're dropping off grandma.

From link:

No stopping signs mean no dropping people off or picking them up, and no loading/unloading trucks. You're not supposed to be here unless you're moving.

No standing signs usually mean you can drop people off or pick them up, but you still can't load or unload things from cars or trucks.

In most cities, no parking signs ironically mean you can stop the car, and you can load or unload people and goods, but you can't leave the car alone.​

From link:

From link:

No stopping signs mean no dropping people off or picking them up, and no loading/unloading trucks. You're not supposed to be here unless you're moving.

No standing signs usually mean you can drop people off or pick them up, but you still can't load or unload things from cars or trucks.

In most cities, no parking signs ironically mean you can stop the car, and you can load or unload people and goods, but you can't leave the car alone.​

Did they change the signs here to make it no stopping? Or are the old signs still on the posts and this person would technically be in their right to be stopped here?

Here's what I posted in the VIA string on tilting trains, as to how it ended-up in the King Street Pilot string, and completely misconstrued at that, boggles the bogie:
Your raised it. You are clearly cherry picking, and suffering from "grass is always greener" syndrome.

UK rail service is increasingly horrific, despite use of tiling trains. It's a massive issue over there, despite having had tilting trains for years - which have been as horrifically challenging there as here, and ultimately they went for non-tilting technology on lines where they could run the HST.

But why are you posting this in a thread about streetcars?

To bring that back to Toronto, Toronto is also a severe laggard when it comes to city transit, even by the standards of other Cdn cities.
Your ignorance is shocking. Given how infrequent bus service is in many cities, Canadian included, Toronto's transit is amazing. The biggest complaints are that too many people use it.

Most cities would kill for that problem.

But go off and cherry pick something else irrelevant and post it here.

Did they change the signs here to make it no stopping? Or are the old signs still on the posts and this person would technically be in their right to be stopped here?
No standing.

But even then, there's no signage saying you can park your car on the sidewalk either, even if only standing.

I think it's pretty obvious you can't park your car on the streetcar platform! if the car was parked or standing, it would on the other side of the yellow safety strip. That would be standing.

Is that a bad thing? I'm not sure what non-outdated Italian restaurants serve - but that looked like a healthy portion. If the style is to server you a decorative appetizer as the main course, I'm probably good with Kit Kat - assuming I end my boycott (which is probably quite ineffective, given the last time I recall eating in any of eateries, was the soon-to-close Red Tomato some 15 years ago!).

And on the topic of Kit Kat....

https://www.thestar.com/life/food_wine/review/2018/02/02/a-streetcar-named-delicious.html

Apparently the food is as good as ever.

Although apparently very outdated from other Italian restaurants in the area.

Is that a bad thing? I'm not sure what non-outdated Italian restaurants serve - but that looked like a healthy portion. If the style is to server you a decorative appetizer as the main course, I'm probably good with Kit Kat - assuming I end my boycott (which is probably quite ineffective, given the last time I recall eating in any of eateries, was the soon-to-close Red Tomato some 15 years ago!).

The "outdatedness" of a restaurant probably sounds quite odd to someone who isn't a self-professed foodie. After all, good food is good food; it doesn't taste worse with age. But the culinary world is surprisingly dynamic. Food trends come and go, certain ingredients become more or less available, consumer preferences change over time, and new cooking/preparation methods are invented all the time. Foods that were once considered exclusive and luxurious will become commodified and bland within a decade or two. In a few decades, lobster dishes went from literal garbage we serve to prisoners (lobster was often called the cockroach of the sea), to a luxury dish, and back down to its current state of being a commodified and not terribly interesting dish.

Also, Toronto's food scene has gotten a lot more dynamic and competitive since Kit-Kat was introduced. Back in the 90s, a restaurant like Kit-Kat might have been considered amongst the best in the city. But over the past 15 years, tons of innovate new restaurants have opened, introducing modern new dishes and cooking styles to the city. 99% of restaurant goers will have no knowledge about food trends or the details behind the dish, but their experiences with those dishes will inform their expectations of restaurants they visit in the future. Toronto is now considered to be one of the great culinary cities of the world. Kit-Kat hasn't been keeping up with the local competition, hence the "outdatedness" of the restaurant.

If you're the type of person to rarely visit a restaurant, I'm sure Kit-Kat would be fine for you. But for people that frequent any of the excellent and reasonably priced restaurants around the city, even if they don't consider themselves to be a food enthusiast, they'd probably find Kit-Kat to be bland and uninteresting.

If Kit-Kat is indeed having trouble attracting business, relative to other King Street restaurants, part of the reason is probably due to it's outdatedness. With social media being a major factor, restaurants have to be very on-the-ball about ensuring their foods are interesting and up-to-date. Without that interestingness, these restaurants won't generate any buzz on social media, which means less customers coming to the door. From what I've been reading online about Kit-Kat, there is no social media buzz about the place, and they appear to be entirely dependant on walk-ins from the theatre, Skydome and surrounding hotels.

Last edited:

Back