News   Apr 25, 2024
 301     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 972     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Downtown Markham

I don’t think it would make sense for Apple to have a store (or “Town Square”) only 4 km away from another one (Markville). However, it would make Downtown Markham a cool place as it has a lot of room for a outdoor “square”.

Well in that case they would close the Markville store. The thing with Downtown Markham is that it's out of the way (it's not on Highway 7 or Warden), so it needs an "anchor" more than any other development. The new York U campus is one such anchor, but it needs more.

York U campus is way on the other side of downtown too.

I thought there was some large format retail space planned in Gallery Square that could fit a grocery store? Whole Foods is at least just up Birchmount for now.

To offer another perspective ...

Downtown Markham isn't really any more out of the way than anywhere else that isn't across the street from wherever a given person lives. Public transit runs through it. And if you're in a car there are routes in and out from every direction. For someone living at 16 and Kennedy, or Brimley and Denison, there isn't much of a difference in time or convenience to get to Markville Mall vs DTM. The anchor tenants will come in time. But the retail ones are going to want (I would think) more density in the area before they make the commitment. York and Cineplex moving into this area aren't the same as a retail store that gets a lot of walk-in traffic (i.e., the Apple store).

Things are headed in the right direction. Times Group's "Uptown Markham" to the North will add density -- I believe the one tower currently underway is going to be 28 storeys. Presumably there will be a new commercial building or two in the next 4-6 years. And in the not too distant future we've got the York condos (late 2020?), the York campus (2021), and Gallery Square (2022?-2024) coming online. Will that be enough to attract a big retail player? Hard to know. Even then, perhaps only 25% of the DTM lands will have been developed.

With all this planned retail and restaurants to open in the near future, I really hope a decently large parking lot is planned logically.

With the already opened Cineplex and restaurants that operate around that complex, finding parking is a complete wreck on most evenings. As it will only become more of a problem with more and more retail set to open.

I would suggest a large paved parking lot, a parkade structure or designated underground parking for retail should be made available before any more retail opens.

Someone here suggested a while back that Remington plans to build a multi-level above-ground lot. All of the current surface lots are covered with buildings in the artist rendering that was released around the time of the Gallery Square renders, even the Cineplex ones.

08021-mp-crop-jpg.107752

The building in that render behind the Aviva building that is more designed (not just a grey box) is proposed to be mostly a parking structure.

Ground Floor Retail Coming soon to the Signature buildings

Ruth's Chris - steakhouse
Le Watch - Rolex dealer heh
70 Cacoa - dessert / lunch place, few other locations downtown
Dimitri's - dessert / lunch place, weird they're right beside each other

Vardale Crossing bridge connecting north to Hwy 7 looks complete but still fenced up, would be nice to use this route when I go to No Frills plaza.

Hwy 7 three lanes expansion is completed. All lanes open now.

It's from 2014. If you turn off 3d it is more up to date, from october 2016. Google Earth has some imagery from October 2017.

Back