News   Apr 25, 2024
 396     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Yonge-Dundas Square/Sankofa Square (Brown + Storey Architects)

Has Ryerson actually said that they consider the installation complete? Are we looking at a work-in-progress?

Huh? I don't understand. The seemingly random placement of the sign is, in my opinion, a symptom of the well meaning but somewhat vacuous argument that the sign needs to be displayed here. It's a sign. It was built to serve a store that is long gone. It serves no purpose now other than as a relic. It will always be "out of place" because "the place" no longer exists. I don't know what the answer is but it won't be found by randomly sticking it in various locations in YD Square. It looks like an afterthought, which, is exactly what it is.

Give em hell MM! Someone at Ry High should lose their head over this.
I couldn't agree more! I am still trying to find out who approved this but so far nobody seems to know. Why does nobody seem to know who is accountable? Everybody seems to be clueless about how this happened, even if they agree that it's unfortunate.

Wong-Tam is not returning my calls about the sign. She has also not returned my friend's call about this same issue. Does Wong-Tam not return calls or is she just over-run with complaints about this dreadful sign??

Last edited:
Just now

20171206_193321.jpg
Look at how thin and feeble looking the brackets are to hold this sign up. Compare that to all the other signage around the square, it just doesn't look safe to me. What really bothers me is that you can see it so clearly, right through the sign. Everything about this sign is just WRONG!

" Wong-Tam is not returning my calls about the sign. She has also not returned my friend's call about this same issue. Does Wong-Tam not return calls or is she just over-run with complaints about this dreadful sign??

From an interview with the Toronto Star yesterday: "...Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, who choked back tears describing the impacts of overcrowding on homeless people in her downtown ward and distraught staff begging for help.

“Lives are definitely at risk — there is no doubt in my mind we will see deaths this winter just as we have seen deaths in previous winters,” said Wong-Tam, noting that more than 70 homeless Torontonians have died this year. “If you can’t see the crisis and the emergency, you really shouldn’t be here.”

Maybe she'll remark on that sign tomorrow.

It looks like a giant HVAC unit from across the square.
I understand they wanted to save money, but they ended up wasting most of what they spent.

I couldn't agree more! I am still trying to find out who approved this but so far nobody seems to know. Why does nobody seem to know who is accountable? Everybody seems to be clueless about how this happened, even if they agree that it's unfortunate.

Wong-Tam is not returning my calls about the sign. She has also not returned my friend's call about this same issue. Does Wong-Tam not return calls or is she just over-run with complaints about this dreadful sign??
She's been at Council for three days,

Looking at that sign tonight, it's a piece of crap with those grill look and needs to be taken down and fix like they were before. The whole supporting frame is weak in the first place as well being cheaply built and a reason for the grill look.

Photos to follow.

Back