News   Mar 28, 2024
 984     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 846     0 

Why we gave up being landlords to be Airbnb hosts instead

Where exactly is all this AirBnB demand coming from? I know that in hot tourist cities like NYC, Rome and Paris they are geared towards backpackers and tourists. Does Toronto have that same cache?

Where exactly is all this AirBnB demand coming from? I know that in hot tourist cities like NYC, Rome and Paris they are geared towards backpackers and tourists. Does Toronto have that same cache?

Airbnb units are much cheaper than hotel rooms (guess why). So it's not only tourist demand, it's all kinds of demand, including business travelers. Toronto isn't Paris but it's not exactly an obscure city either.

Airbnb units are much cheaper than hotel rooms (guess why). So it's not only tourist demand, it's all kinds of demand, including business travelers. Toronto isn't Paris but it's not exactly an obscure city either.

That's true. More and more business travellers are choosing Airbnb's over hotels. They get more space for longer stays and the rooms are lot cheaper than hotels.

Looking back on this thread, I wonder if the city could have taken a different tack. Instead of coercing property owners to rent their units to long-term tenants vs. Airbnb, how about the city make long-term rental the more attractive choice? Start by making it easier to avoid and evict bad tenants.

Looking back on this thread, I wonder if the city could have taken a different tack. Instead of coercing property owners to rent their units to long-term tenants vs. Airbnb, how about the city make long-term rental the more attractive choice? Start by making it easier to avoid and evict bad tenants.
Isn’t eviction governed by the provincial Residential Tenancies Act rather than municipal regulation?

We rent our basement to international students for cash.

Good thing about them they only have a suitcase worth of stuff so if they end up being bad tenets, you just pack it up and leave it at the curb.

Back