News   Apr 16, 2024
 301     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 372     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 729     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I know quite a bit of people who live near hurontario and all of them are anticipating the line. In fact some bought based on the line. For the record these are all mississaugans.

Doug Ford will lose the election. The Ontario Liberal’s chronic inability to get any of the LRT lines procured and under construction on time, and the threat of a PC government outright canceling the lines are the bigger threats to FWLRT.

I tend to agree that poor management by the ruling Liberals and the City caused more delays than the outright opposition by Ford and the like.

On the other hand, Liberals (provincial) did restart the transit expansion after a long pause, they should get some credit for that.

A picture of a board at a recent open house showing an Alstom LRV in the Metrolinx "grey and white" livery. Source.

DK2N5cBXcAATPQ_.jpg:orig

I know quite a bit of people who live near hurontario and all of them are anticipating the line. In fact some bought based on the line. For the record these are all mississaugans.
The developers in Mississsauga would not allow the PC government to cancel Hurontario LRT, I think.

I am way more confident about Hurontario than other LRTs.

We don't even know if Doug Ford is running in 2018; and if he does, it wouldn't be easy for him to defeat the incumbent John Tory. Tory didn't yet do anything spectacularly wrong to offset his incumbent advantage.

In a nutshell, Tory's milquetoast and Ford's a firebrand.

But as others have echoed, what really matters most is whether Wynne is still Premier next year. Work on the Finch LRT is very much happening as we speak. Maybe the timing of everything is annoying and worrisome, but it's undeniable that the Liberals fully intend on building this line. Patrick Brown, depending on how anti-LRT the sentiment of his Party truly is, may pull funding and effectively download the costs to the City. But this isn't certain either. What is plausible is that the Finch LRT project may morph into a BRT scheme where dedicated bus lanes on Finch proper link to the existing busway between York U and Dufferin.

At the end of the day though Finch West is at least poised to getting something better than the status quo, so we can take heart in that for now.

In a nutshell, Tory's milquetoast and Ford's a firebrand.

But as others have echoed, what really matters most is whether Wynne is still Premier next year. Work on the Finch LRT is very much happening as we speak. Maybe the timing of everything is annoying and worrisome, but it's undeniable that the Liberals fully intend on building this line. Patrick Brown, depending on how anti-LRT the sentiment of his Party truly is, may pull funding and effectively download the costs to the City. But this isn't certain either. What is plausible is that the Finch LRT project may morph into a BRT scheme where dedicated bus lanes on Finch proper link to the existing busway between York U and Dufferin.

At the end of the day though Finch West is at least poised to getting something better than the status quo, so we can take heart in that for now.
Your right - Mammolitti's idea of a Finch subway will never happen. The best they could hope for would be an elevated line from Keele to Humber. 11km long by $150M/km = $1.65M. They would have to find and extra $450M (or 38% more) to get it to work. It would be underground from 200m to 400m on either side of Keele, and then elevated.
Since I don't see any City politician supporting this - I imagine it will go ahead if already started, or otherwise it will continue to be deferred as it has been (or at least the opening of the line has been) for the past 9 years. If deferred - nothing will be done except for perhaps some extra articulated buses.

Your right - Mammolitti's idea of a Finch subway will never happen. The best they could hope for would be an elevated line from Keele to Humber. 11km long by $150M/km = $1.65M. They would have to find and extra $450M (or 38% more) to get it to work. It would be underground from 200m to 400m on either side of Keele, and then elevated.
Since I don't see any City politician supporting this - I imagine it will go ahead if already started, or otherwise it will continue to be deferred as it has been (or at least the opening of the line has been) for the past 9 years. If deferred - nothing will be done except for perhaps some extra articulated buses.

If they really wanted the LRT off road I would imagine they would ask it to be relocated to the Finch Hydro corridor just north of Finch. Then reconect with Finch at Weston and run elevated to Humber.

What gives you that impression?

To expand on what innsertnamehere said because I needed to look it up:

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/projectpages/FinchWest.aspx
In February 2016, Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx released a Request for Proposal (RFP) to companies shortlisted to design, build, finance and maintain the Finch West Light Rail Transit (LRT) project.

In May 2017, Metrolinx confirmed that it had entered into an agreement with Alstom to build 17 light rail vehicles for the Finch West LRT project.

The RFP is expected to close by the end of 2017, with construction slated to begin in 2018.

Including context to show that this is the new date after the Alstom deal. Unless there is yet more change in the tender, this one should hit financial close several months prior to the election. Of course, as we found with the gas plant, it can still be cancelled it after financial close but you may not get a refund.

Last edited:
General knowledge question...

When they were (a) designing or (b) building the Finch West subway station that is opening in December 2017 did they consider the stations design to accommodate the future FinchWestLRT connection or was it too late in terms of project(s) alignment?

Thanks

General knowledge question...

When they were (a) designing or (b) building the Finch West subway station that is opening in December 2017 did they consider the stations design to accommodate the future FinchWestLRT connection or was it too late in terms of project(s) alignment?

Thanks
This was discussed about on the TYSSE thread. So there was a BlogTO post that said there was a prebuilt “station box”, while someone working on the project, Joanna Kervin, said that the Finch West LRT platform was not in the contract. So fake news. At least a breakout panel should be there.

Back