News   Apr 30, 2024
 428     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Royal Bank Plaza Renovations (Oxford, WZMH)

billy corgan

Member Bio
Reaction score
From WZMH

The Royal Bank Plaza repositioning project is an initiative whose main objectives are to increase the prominence of the main entrances, enhance the lobbies as major arrival spaces, modernize the retail malls and food court, and reclaim the corporate prestige of Royal Bank Plaza’s landmark position in the hub of downtown Toronto. Of the total 10,000m² of renovated area, 6,500m² consists of retail upgrades with redesigned ceilings and interiors. A new feature central concourse area replaces the present ramped system and anchors the mall. Two escalators and a cascading water feature provide a visual connection to the new expanded food court in the lower concourse with 625 seats in a dynamic corporate design. The first phase of work, the South Tower Lobby, was completed in September, 2005.

rbpreno1.jpg

rbpreno2.jpg

rbpreno3.jpg

rbpreno4.jpg

My favourite salon was kicked out of the concourse for this rennovation. Not too happy with Oxford Properties right now.

They fail to mention the barriers going up to prevent truck bombers from hitting the lobby. That makes 4 of the 5 bank towers to boost security in this way since 9/11. First Canadian Place is the only holdout at this point.

^^^

are there barriers to a truck bomber hitting the TD centre? i am trying to picture them. and can't. from king st. just that ugly round sculpture and a giant chair which any serious terrorist could manouvre around easily.

Large stone benches were put along the length of King Street last year with only a limited amount of space between them. CIBC and Scotia went with large planters.

of all the downtown office towers, I think the only one with a PATH level that retains any sort of architectural uniqueness is TD Centre... not that Royal Bank had any left beforehand, but their opportunity to look unique is gone.

I wonder why the renos do not include even an attempt to bring some of the complex's exterior finishes into the PATH areas. TD's black metal makes its way below, as does FCP's carrara marble, CIBC's stainless steel, and Scotia's red granite. Those small gestures are clues to help the troglodytes treading the PATH system to know what buildings they are under. Instead, it seems fro the two lower renderings that WMZH is trying to make the mallrats think they're at Fairview or sumpthin'.

Meanwhile, I like what they've done with the South Tower Lobby, I like that the northeast corner plaza will be flat out to the street, and I want the atrium re-atrified like a number of others here. That would "reclaim the corporate prestige of Royal Bank Plaza’s landmark position in the hub of downtown Toronto."

Well, technically, they didn't do so back in the 70s, so why now? (Well, actually, they did, but it wasn't to do with shiny gold, but concrete/granite finishes and the overall diagonal emphasis. Oh, and also the "spiral" circulation pattern, which was a real ill-fated 70s urban-mall gimmick; also cf. Les Terrasses in Montreal, later gutted for the Centre Eaton)

Here's the more or less finished product:

canonpics454ye9.jpg

canonpics458rj2.jpg

The spiral staircase entrance to the old food court and restaurant are completely gone, replaced by a flat plaza surface with a step down instead of a sloping incline towards the street.

Last edited:

Back