News   Apr 19, 2024
 735     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 642     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Baby, we got a bubble!?

The Real Estate Council of B.C. has told a Vancouver real estate agent to stop advising clients on how to avoid the proposed 15 per cent foreign buyers' tax announced earlier this week by the provincial government.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/real-estate-council-investigation-realtor-1.3697962

That didn't take long... :rolleyes:

Hard to find anybody with ethics in Vancouver nowadays. Read the story about the mayor, his Chinese pop star girlfriend, and her mother who the Chinese want to put to death for stealing $60 million from the Chinese government. :confused:

Speaking of B.C. and more specifically Vancouver real estate, the Globe and Mail has a very interesting article on this subject, speaking to a few individuals on the other side of the table. A good read.

The dragon in the room

Hostility toward rich, Chinese newcomers has left many asking the same question: Why is Canada willing to take our money, but then belittle us?

Link: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real...-of-vancouvers-housingdebate/article31212036/

I think it's still too early to tell. A number of the sales in the previous weeks could've been destined for the week of July 25th but was pushed up in the schedule so as to avoid the new tax, so the week-over-week percentage drop would obviously be a large figure. Only time will tell.

Too early to tell. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just knee jerk reactions. The article even mentions it'll take 2-3 months to really see what the impact is.

From the Financial Post:

Reality of B.C.’s foreign buyers tax begins to bite as realtors report deals collapsing

http://business.financialpost.com/p...s-to-bite-as-realtors-report-deals-collapsing

Here's the actual law:

https://www.leg.bc.ca/parliamentary...ament/5th-session/bills/first-reading/gov28-1

The definition of "Foreign National" essentially covers everyone who has been here for less than 3 to 4 years (current timeline for permanent resident status).

I wonder if lease to own (with a 4 year lease term) will become common for immigrants.

Last edited:
The definition of "Foreign National" essentially covers everyone who has been here for less than 3 to 4 years (current timeline for permanent resident status).

Many people come here and are permanent residents from the day they land. They are NOT "Foreign Nationals" and this law won't apply to them.

Many people come here and are permanent residents from the day they land. They are NOT "Foreign Nationals" and this law won't apply to them.

Well, yes, if you start your planning 3 to 4 years prior to moving to Canada you can get that status in advance.

Point being, most non-sponsored immigrants come here on a work or education visa prior to applying for permanent resident status. It's very unusual to apply to be a permanent resident of a country where you don't have family and you've not stayed in for a bit to see if you like it.

If you have a sponsor then this entire tax law is trivial to bypass as your sponsor can put their name on the title.

I think the public deserves more information from sources without conflicts of interest. Isn't there a public interest in knowing the source of funds for real estate purchases? We know that there is a lot of foreign capital seeking safe investment, and real estate is offered as an easy option in Canada. Prices in Canada's largest cities are rising fast and are many multiples avg income. A key role for government is to ensure that markets are fair and information is clear and comprehensive so informed decisions can be made by buyers and sellers, but there seems to be a lot of foot dragging on collecting that data.

from the Financial Post --

Toronto home sales up 23.5 per cent in August, realtors vow to study foreign investors

http://business.financialpost.com/p...ugust-realtors-vow-to-study-foreign-investors

Last edited:
The market is F****D. Must suck for younger people who will basically need a small fortune to purchase a shack in the city.

The market is F****D. Must suck for younger people who will basically need a small fortune to purchase a shack in the city.

I believe that renting in the city will simply be a fact of life. The biggest issue with this is what happens when those younger people start having families. Unless there are larger condo units that can be rented at reasonable rates, they will just leave the core. Where they go is not an easy decision either. Renting anywhere in central Toronto will inevitably get more costly and buying within the 416 will continue to be a financial test. Do families move out beyond the 905? Housing isn't getting cheaper there either. We are in a very precarious situation.

My sense is many people, even educated and with solid careers, are seeing renting as a longterm prospect, and making peace with that idea. It is a critical mass phenomena. Although many individual condo owners rent their units, I think that longterm renters will prefer the security of tenure and professional management of a large landlord.

I hope the likes of Ed Sonshine move fast on their plans for more rental housing, and make sure there are a lot of 2 bedroom or bigger units (although many new 2bdrm units are quite compact).

here is a 2014 article of Mr Sonshine's vision for rental housing --
http://torontolife.com/real-estate/edward-sonshine-riocan-rental-housing/

Although many families don't need their own car in downtown Toronto, I think having a storage locker for each unit would be a good idea, perhaps in the basement, along with bike parking and limited carshare parking. Renting storage elsewhere can be a pain. Finally, it would be great if the new rental housing is built adjacent to attractive neighbourhoods with lots of single family housing, established businesses and good schools (e.g. The Annex, Seaton Village, Dovercourt, Dundas/Bathurst, Bloor West Village, Little Italy) -- long term renters, especially families with kids, especially want to live in these kind of hoods rather than the CityPlaces of the world. The potential for Bathurst and Spadina corridors from Dupont to Queen is big, as is along Dupont, Bloor, College, and Dundas (I'm sure there are others -- these are the areas I know best). Construction standards that allow wood-based mid-rises may also help make the economic case for upsizing smaller parcels along these corridors. Unfortunately, most of the purpose built rental buildings seem to be much bigger, so I don't know if the REITs will want to build the smaller buildings.

Finally, allowing homeowners to build more laneway housing, done sensitively, can add much needed rental stock.

Last edited:

Back