Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Unless I misunderstand what you are asking, you could always do that. It is the same Presto card.....all that has changed is the fair now and the minor change that at Weston you do not have to tap special readers (like you used to) you can tap any of the Presto readers at weston.....but it was always the same card.

Not clear to me wether someone from KW (as your example) would tap of at weston then back on...or would simply tap on at KW...get off the GO train and then get on the UP and not tap off until Pearson.....but, yes, same Presto card.

I would check with them on the tapping sequence before doing it (the announcements on the KW GO line suggest to me that tapping off the GO then tapping back on to the UP would be required....but a quick email/tweet/call to them should sort that out).

Actually at Pearson they only have the UPX presto terminals, not the GO ones, so if you wanted to take GO from Kitchener to Weston then UPX from Weston to Union, you tap on at Kitchener, tap off at a GO reader at Weston, then also at Weston tap on a UPX reader, then tap off at Pearson. And yes, this is the way it's worked since day 1 of the UPX opening--except for the lower fare.

Wait, if you tap on a GO reader at Weston/Bloor, do you tap off at Union on the UPX readers or you have to go downstairs to the GO readers?

Thanks for all your replies. I've never used Presto, so this is a little confusing. So there are two slightly different Presto stanchions at Weston? Is it obvious which one is for GO tap-off, and which one is for UPX tap-on?

Thanks for all your replies. I've never used Presto, so this is a little confusing. So there are two slightly different Presto stanchions at Weston? Is it obvious which one is for GO tap-off, and which one is for UPX tap-on?
https://www.upexpress.com/CustomerSupport/Faq

Which PRESTO machines do I tap on at Bloor and Weston?
Tapping is based on where you are going rather than the train you take:
Bloor/Weston Stations – Destination: To Pearson Airport
  • Which PRESTO machine do I Tap?
  • Silver coloured UP Express fare payment device.
  • Which Train do I get on?
  • UP Express
Bloor/Weston Stations – Destination: Towards Union Station from either Weston to Bloor or Bloor to Union
  • Which PRESTO machine do I Tap?
  • Green coloured GO fare payment devices or silver coloured UP fare payment devices.
  • Which Train do I get on?
  • If you tap on a GO fare payment device, you can travel on either GO or UP Express.
  • If you tap on an UP Fare Payment device, you must travel on UP Express.

Which device do I tap off?
Tap off on the same device you initially tapped on. If you tapped on UP then tap off on UP. If you tapped on GO fare payment device, tap off on GO. Please note that UP fare payment devices do not recognize default settings set on PRESTO cards.

Thanks - I saw that, but it's not quite clear: Which situation below would be the one for a trip Kitchener > Bloor > YYZ?

Option a:
  1. Tap once at Kitchener on GO PRESTO Green Stanchion ("tap-on")
  2. Tap once at Bloor on GO PRESTO Green Stanchion ("tap-off")
  3. Tap once at Bloor on UPX PRESTO Silver Stanchion ("tap-on")
  4. Tap once at YYZ on UPX PRESTO Silver Stanchion ("tap-off")
Option b

2. Tap once at Bloor on UPX PRESTO Silver Stanchion ("tap-off/tap-on function integrated")
  3. Tap once at YYZ on UPX PRESTO Silver Stanchion ("tap-off")
If I read between the lines on the statements from the site, I'm gathering that the UPX folks are friendly to GO PRESTO taps, but the GO folks are not friendly to UPX PRESTO taps.

In my mind, a properly designed user-experience would be a system that only requires a tap whenever you go through a faregate (entry/exit to your entire total trip), and the software of the system should be clever enough to figure out what the fare should be. Requiring all this mid-point tapping is so barbaric and just adds needless confusion.

Thanks - I saw that, but it's not quite clear: Which situation below would be the one for a trip Kitchener > Bloor > YYZ?

Option a:
  2. Tap once at Bloor on GO PRESTO Green Stanchion ("tap-off")
  3. Tap once at Bloor on UPX PRESTO Silver Stanchion ("tap-on")
Option b

2. Tap once at Bloor on UPX PRESTO Silver Stanchion ("tap-off/tap-on function integrated")
  3. Tap once at YYZ on UPX PRESTO Silver Stanchion ("tap-off")
The FAQ pretty clearly states that you tap off at the same type of machine that you tapped on. So I'm going to guess that Option A is the way to do it.

To those asking, I suggest phoning GO and UPX to find out before travelling. It may be the case that the changes have not yet been published, but this has been an ongoing misunderstanding since Metrolinx claimed they are "the same fare". Same price per distance between same points does not mean "same fare". The conditions of travel are very different.

...In my mind, a properly designed user-experience would be a system that only requires a tap whenever you go through a faregate (entry/exit to your entire total trip), and the software of the system should be clever enough to figure out what the fare should be. Requiring all this mid-point tapping is so barbaric and just adds needless confusion.

I use GO regularly, have a Presto Card, but find the information offered by a number of posters contradictory. I've been looking at GO and UPX, and can find no confirmation of "booking through on a GO ticket or Presto Card" w/o being charged twice. From all the literature I read, UPX is still a separate and distinct fare albeit with a price that matches GO over the distance on the Weston Corridor that overlaps. Until I see otherwise in writing, and official, I won't believe UPX honours a GO ticket. There's been far too much emphasis on semantics, and not published detail. I thought to phone today to get an answer, but I want to see it in writing, as do most of us who've been burned many times with Presto (almost all finally ironed out but after hours of trying to figure out the massively unintuitive Presto on-line fare history, and then trying to explain to those who answer the phones, only demanding to speak with someone with authority...who usually finally get your point).

A case, that *continues* to recur every Summer (I'll be testing this again soon):

Getting on 29 bus in Guelph, tap on, get off at Cooksville Station, tap off, realizing that it is far faster (as recommended by a GO bus driver!) to get to Mimico, (Rather than the Union bus, a good twenty minute wait, to fight traffic by an undulating route for an hour, then wait to travel west again on a Lakeshore train) to take and tap-on the MiWay express from Cooksville, at a cost of $.85 as co-fare, to Port Credit, and then tap on GO train there, and then tap-off at Mimico. Other than the 85 cents extra, should be straight forward, right? Anything but...when you tap-on again at Port Credit, Presto logs that as a new fare. I got tired of having to call and spend an hour getting it straightened out every time: "Yes, what you are doing is recommended, and we've put that information in to have the glitch corrected". Except it never is. Maybe it has, this year, I'll find out, but it also happens elsewhere. Once you tap on/off/ride a few blocks (as in Milton, from the GO station to the #401 Park and Ride to catch the 29 bus) Presto, instead of crediting you for doing what GO doesn't do to link their routes together, charge you all over again.

So I have every sympathy for your frustrations.

Edit to Add: Btw! My answer, much to the chagrin of the middle-management at GO, to get the trip I was charged for, was to buy....wait for it...a *paper ticket* (and I love this part) *on my Presto card!

GO middle management were appalled, as if I had a duty to jump through their ridiculous hoops and bow to their Almighty Sword. I have a limited patience, and lost it more than a few times by stating (and I do have some sympathy for them, they were stuck with Presto's truly buggy system) "Then fix the damn thing and stop cheating people".

It's not just that these glitches happen at random, and they do claim to want to address problems, it's that *they're almost never fixed!* and happen *chronically*

So when in doubt, buy a paper ticket, and not play the Simon Says game of having to remember to tap-on, tap-off, tap-on, tap-off, tap-on, tap-off. I don't like rap music, but at least the rhythm makes more sense than the GO jingle. And yes, you can program the cards for one way tap-on, if you repeat that daily...but some of us have random travel patterns, and interesting lives, and better things to do than play Games with Go.

So you miss your 'loyalty option' when getting that paper ticket. Whoopee Doo...I can't be bothered with Air Miles every time I buy a chocolate bar either.

Edit two: Just checked the FAQ link posted by Wopchop:

[... if you have tapped on a GO machine and are headed to anywhere but the airport then you will be able to get onto the UP Express train with no worries. If you have tapped on a GO device and are headed to the airport however you will have to tap off at a GO device. If that happens a Guest Service Representative can provide you with assistance.]

That's the closest I can find to a written reference. I'll print that out and take it with me and try it this coming week.

[Each guest may bring a maximum of two dogs, cats, or other small animals on board free of charge. Dogs must be on a leash or in a carrier. Cats and other small animals must be in a pet carrier that allows room for the pet to stand or lie down with comfort.]

Now that's interesting! So here's a testing question. If you pay from Weston to Union with a GO ticket...are you subject to GO tariff rules, or UPX? Because you can't take a dog on a leash on GO unless it's a handicapped assist.

I just might have cause to test that as the weather warms. The TTC does allow it, but not in rush hours, and this shows no mention of rush-hour or GO fare to not being able to carry a dog.

Last edited:
Yup, yet another contradiction.

This is a mess. The TTC is in a similar situation, just tapping on, not on and off, knowing that 'on and off comes later'. Yikes...

As far as I know the GO and UPX system is the most basic possible.

You tap on. You tap off.

That's what I've always done. That's always worked perfectly for me. Zero issues with any transfers between any GO vehicles or between any GO and UPX vehicles.

I just walked to the GO station in Kitchener to check it out. I can just buy a paper ticket at a machine on the platform, and I can pay the $5 for an UPX ticket and print it online. Super simple, so I'll just do that.

Hi Nfitz, there's been some discussions on the past few pages about just how convoluted presto is in these situations. Have a look at those posts. Spending 30 seconds at the machine to print a ticket sounds like the best bet for me.

As far as I know the GO and UPX system is the most basic possible.

You tap on. You tap off.
Not necessarily in all cases, Johnny. How about when changing trains at Union? And on most transit systems outside of GO and UPX (albeit not familiar with OC Transpo) it's just "tap on"...which is the case now with the TTC...*for now* until they change it in the near future.

If you do the same mundane trip every day, your routine becomes second-nature, but for newbies (and Toronto is going to have a massive problem with this) and even persons like myself who've used systems in NYC, London, Paris, LA, etc, you can be headed to your destination with your head full of...*overloaded with* thoughts of your immediate business, you don't need to be tripped up by looking for machines everytime you make a change, let alone the "right one". They *still* (as of 10 days ago) haven't marked the "balance" machine at the doors of Bloor station with a separate colour like they do at Union (there they are mostly yellow in colour). It looks identical save for some nuanced detail to the "Pay Fare" one. You've got your hands full, your head full, and your mind is elsewhere. They entice you to use the "system" as it's supposed to be simple and intuitive, and you don't have to worry about driving, and yet you have to play this game of "guess how it works!".

I design electronic equipment, and I can do some really involved and clever things...but *at all times* I must keep it uppermost in my mind that the user must be able to understand the controls and understand even intuitively.

You don't redesign a car so that the steering wheel turns opposite to what is intuitive and standard. "Well people will just have to learn the new system". Or reverse the accelerator and brake pedal. "They'll just have to learn, it's simple".
So what poindexter came up with the idea of making Presto pay and Presto balance machines look almost identical? To me, and to others, that's just *inviting* things to go wrong. But of course, some of us live in the real world...

Sometimes a piece of paper in hand 'guaranteeing the holder right of passage from Smith Street to Jones Airport' is the best thing. Especially when the system is so prone to glitching, and you won't even know it until you are refused carriage.

Hi Nfitz, there's been some discussions on the past few pages about just how convoluted presto is in these situations. Have a look at those posts. Spending 30 seconds at the machine to print a ticket sounds like the best bet for me.
Your case isn't confusing though. You already stated what you have to in a previous post:
  2. Tap once at Bloor [should be Weston] on GO PRESTO Green Stanchion ("tap-off")
  3. Tap once at Bloor [should be Weston] on UPX PRESTO Silver Stanchion ("tap-on")
Lots of people, including myself, have done this when connecting between GO and UP. Right now, Presto treats them as two separate fare systems, but it will still be cheaper and faster than purchasing paper tickets.

Back