Toronto Yorkdale Shopping Centre | ?m | ?s | Oxford Properties | MMC Architecture

Yea I really wonder if they'll attempt to turn Yorkdale more into a destination for things other than shopping; Bowling for example / more restaurants (already has a cinema). Actually really wonder if they're put up condos on the edge of the site; I think they'd sell very well, similar story with square one (but there's even more space available there).

There might be a minor issue with building a tall condo tower on the edge of the Yorkdale Mall site,.... it's called an airport! Yorkdale Mall is basically near the end of a major runway at Downsview Airport,.... YorkdaleMall is directly southwest of Highway 401 and AllenRoad:

YorkdaleAirport.jpg

Attachments

• YorkdaleAirport.jpg
    YorkdaleAirport.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,131
The holiday inn is about 15 floors. Most places that would be short but Yorkdale could sell 15 floors as highly exclusive with very high sq ft prices.

The holiday inn is about 15 floors. Most places that would be short but Yorkdale could sell 15 floors as highly exclusive with very high sq ft prices.

I counted the HolidayInn at closer to 12 storey,... and it's further west from YorkdaleMall,... further away from the airport runway flight path.

Issue with this area for condo is further west (Orfus-Caledonia) is all industrial,.... south there's government housing,.... the area in general is very working class,.... and being right at the corner of Highway 401 and Allen Road - the walk score sucks,..... but drive-score is great,.... Condos would most likely want to locate along the eastern edge of YorkdaleMall along Allen Road right by Yorkdale subway entrance,.... which of course is directly in the airport runway flight path,.....

I counted the HolidayInn at closer to 12 storey,... and it's further west from YorkdaleMall,... further away from the airport runway flight path.

Issue with this area for condo is further west (Orfus-Caledonia) is all industrial,.... south there's government housing,.... the area in general is very working class,.... and being right at the corner of Highway 401 and Allen Road - the walk score sucks,..... but drive-score is great,.... Condos would most likely want to locate along the eastern edge of YorkdaleMall along Allen Road right by Yorkdale subway entrance,.... which of course is directly in the airport runway flight path,.....
where is there government housing south? Unless you mean behind Lawrence Square and thats not Dufferin but Lawrence

where is there government housing south? Unless you mean behind Lawrence Square and thats not Dufferin but Lawrence

That whole area for Lawrence Heights Community housing is being redone now,....
http://www.torontohousing.ca/lawrence_heights

BTW, I never even mentioned Dufferin,.....

Yorkdale Mall is a large regional mall,.... the local area wouldn't be able to support such a large high end mall on by itself.

I think you are right it is more close to 12 floors. The walk score isnt great but one I dont know how many people pay attention to walk scores but also it is still walkable to Canadas number one mall and a Subway stop. It is true that the area has been traditionally working class but many of the smaller houses are being ripped down to put up mansions.

That whole area for Lawrence Heights Community housing is being redone now,....
http://www.torontohousing.ca/lawrence_heights

BTW, I never even mentioned Dufferin,.....

Yorkdale Mall is a large regional mall,.... the local area wouldn't be able to support such a large high end mall on by itself.
Yorkdale has a poor cousin nearby: Lawrence Square Shopping Centre

I often joke with those outside the neighbourhood that Lawrence Square is the poor man's Yorkdale.

There's definitely height restrictions in this area - the city has a map of it, if anyone's good at digging up information.

I didn't realize how huge a wet blanket Downsview Airport through over the region until I saw that map. With such amazing rapid transit connections in this area it seems perfect for some high density terraforming. How many jobs does the airport and Bombardier plant sustain? How many more jobs would be created if it became a serious high density node?

Station actually is in the blue area between Tippet Road and the Allen, and that maps puts a maximum height of 15.24 metres in that area. Station Condos is, however, 51.4 metres tall at the east end for the 14-storey tower at Tippet, and 48.4 metres tall at the west end for the 13-storey tower at the Allen. You can see in the image below how there is a Downsview Airport related height limit shown above the buildings, and that it begins to descend as you move closer to the airport on the west side.
StationElevN2280.jpg

The height limit must have been changed for development around the airport since that zoning by-law with attached hazard map was applied.

Attachments

• StationElevN2280.jpg
    StationElevN2280.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 693
I've just found another development, Futura by UrbanCapital at the corner of Dufferin and Sheppard, putting it in the orange area on the hazard map above—area it says is restricted to 30.48 metres tall—but which the City is allowing to go forward at 48.25 metres. I'd say 'throw out that hazard map'. There are heigh limits, but that map does not reflect them.

Back