News   May 10, 2024
 216     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 672     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 938     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Looks like Sloly won't be bringing anything to the TPS budget process...

globeandmail 11:14pm via SocialFlow
Toronto Police deputy chief on leave after giving budget speech. trib.al/qJNKC3K
Deputy chief faces possible disciplinary action after blasting police budget
The union representing frontline Toronto police officers has asked the police chief, police board and an independent watchdog to investigate Deputy Chief Peter Sloly for his comments criticizing the force and its billion-dollar budget, Global News has learned.
http://globalnews.ca/news/2461309/p...nary-action-after-deputy-chief-blasts-budget/

How did he initiate force? Challenging people is not coercion.

Fine, challenge then. I'm not a fan of saying people have to do something to prove what they are or aren't. Have a read up on what people were told to do during the Spanish Inquisition to prove they weren't Jews or Muslims.

I said "the world"; not within America and Europe, exclusively. Some sources I have read have linked over 20 000 terrorist attacks to Islam; and that's just since 911.

Out of how many, total? And how likely are any of those to affect you?

I think some people just want to maintain their culture and are sad to watch it diminish. There's nothing wrong with that. The majority of the world's nations are monocultures and no one accuses them of racism for wanting to maintain their heritage. It's basically only the white/European nations that have allowed other cultures to join them. Why isn't the rest of the world as welcoming to outsiders?

There is indeed nothing wrong with that, but there's also no real evidence it is 'diminishing'. This is just based on the feels of a few white people who noticed they're no longer such a majority and this is, as you put it elsewhere, 'apparently so bad'. There are also many nations that are not 'white/European' that have diversity - it's just that it was achieved earlier or it's not as obvious to the outside world.

This is all I'm going to say unless this discussion is continued on a more appropriate thread somewhere else.

How did he initiate force? Challenging people is not coercion.

You don't need force to coerce. And what challenge? The whole premise of him being a self-appointed arbiter is kind of pathetic in the first place.

Anyways, re: TPS - isn't what Sloly said interesting. And funny how TPA is calling for investigations, considering the pedigree of those in it.

AoD

Last edited:
Yeah, the cops aren't keen on critics, even (especially?) from within the force.
.... especially from the TPSB, and they apparently know their place.

Saunders says he wants to win back public confidence but doesn't have a clue where to start. They won't even admit to "a few bad apples" as usually happens elsewhere when citizens call for better civilian oversight after outrageous incidents, or offer to share their 'internal' data for scrutiny. Public confidence in the growing security state 5 years after the G20 demonstration of how far they're ready to go to "protect" us. We better be careful where we pull out our cellphones in case a cop mistakes it for a gun as recently happened in the States resulting in another police shooting death.

.... especially from the TPSB, and they apparently know their place.

Saunders says he wants to win back public confidence but doesn't have a clue where to start. They won't even admit to "a few bad apples" as usually happens elsewhere when citizens call for better civilian oversight after outrageous incidents, or offer to share their 'internal' data for scrutiny. Public confidence in the growing security state 5 years after the G20 demonstration of how far they're ready to go to "protect" us. We better be careful where we pull out our cellphones in case a cop mistakes it for a gun as recently happened in the States resulting in another police shooting death.

They really picked their moment to bring in the new rifle ... and then justify it by saying more and more civilians are wearing body armour.

They really picked their moment to bring in the new rifle ... and then justify it by saying more and more civilians are wearing body armour.

Equipment is small beans and a distraction - I'd rather focus on how Sloly (someone internal) basically said that the current leadership is subscribing to a bloated model of policing

AoD

Equipment is small beans and a distraction - I'd rather focus on how Sloly (someone internal) basically said that the current leadership is subscribing to a bloated model of policing

AoD
Heard a radio clip a couple of days ago about Saunders wanting to create a 3rd Deputy Chief position, but Sloly did a nice hand-off to Shelley Carroll and Micheal Thompson. Guess Tory's having to get off his ravine legacy thinking and pay attention to the Province's Police Act review. .

Last edited:
Heard a radio clip a couple of days ago about Saunders wanting to create a 3rd Deputy Chief position, but Sloly did a nice hand-off to Shelley Carroll and Thompson. Guess Tory's having to get off his ravine legacy thinking and pay attention to the Province's Police Act review. .

Yes, by appointing his good oldboys club buddy Andy Pringle to the TPSB who promptly pushed for Status Quo Saunders. The commitment to reform is strong with that one.

AoD

Last edited:
Even then your statement is off - think Central Etobicoke, North York/Bathurst, South Scarborough, Leaside, etc.

AoD
Maybe the language is confusing. Replace suburb with borough. Yes, there are certain neighbourhoods that are predominantly white. The boroughs at large are a different story. That is what I meant.

Fine, challenge then. I'm not a fan of saying people have to do something to prove what they are or aren't. Have a read up on what people were told to do during the Spanish Inquisition to prove they weren't Jews or Muslims.
I don't think Ari was asking people to prove the validity of their religious convictions. He was just saying that they ought to make it known that they don't condone acts of terrorism in the name of their religion.

Back