949     2 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 429     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
well of course, they were spared. they generate clicks, site views, arguments, twitter buzz. Who cares about quality? news media is in a desperate state.

Look at the bright side - slow death by capitalism is exactly what the paper had ordered. Maybe they will jump ship to "Rebel" when the Sun folds.

AoD

"We had a doozy of a global ambassador in Rob Ford, of course. Say what you like about the guy, but 2013 and 2014 — the peak of his notoriety — were both record years for tourism in Toronto."

I've heard variations on this one before, and honestly, you just have to laugh. And it would pretty contemptuous laughter, at that: As if Ford really had a damn thing to do with any levels of tourism the city received during his reign, as if potential tourists would actually invest time, effort and money to visit Toronto primarily to catch a glimpse of the obese buffoon, as if anyone would base a trip to another city (never mind country) on basking in the questionable celebrity of any politician, as if Ford's notoriety made him anything even remotely resembling a "global ambassador."

You have a point but don't underestimate the popularity of "grotesques".

What a waste of time and money! Ford will freak. I think he views this as his legacy piece--his lasting mark on the city.
His legacy piece globally has nothing to do with Subways, Subways, Subways and if he was clean & sober he'd know that..

What a waste of time and money! Ford will freak. I think he views this as his legacy piece--his lasting mark on the city.

Rob never had the slightest intention of building any transit. The whole S!S!S! thing was a diversion to make sure he could wield his Escalade with abandon on all roads, unfettered by surface transit and the chumps who use it.

Oh and someone remind Doug Ford that the poors will now have to tramp for miles pushing their baby strollers through the winter snow to reach a subway stop. Don't seven nice LRT stops begin to sound a bit more palatable? Is reversion to LRT the end-game here - I sure hope so.

ETA: Ah. Have now actually read the Star article. Feeling happier.

The Scarborough Town Centre Express subway is needed because the Scarborough City Center has seen virtually no growth since 1991, which was Amalgamation, right? And the LRT will deliver the poors to Strip Mall World and Family Shelter Motels on Kingston Road. Nice demonstration of Grade Separation. I'm starting to wonder if Tory took Justin to the Albany Club for lunch when he was in town to pump him for Infra$tructure Fund$ because the public-private thing wasn't happening the way the Cons kept promising. The glass must be half full again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back