News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 755     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Anyone know why trains ran express through St. Andrew at rush hour last night? No announcements. No explanations. No TTC Alerts. Trains just kept passing straight through. Station was not closed. Booth guy had no idea.

Apparently it was some kind of security incident where they can't announce what it is because of "risk". Weird and not sure if it is justified.

AoD

Apparently it was some kind of security incident where they can't announce what it is because of "risk". Weird and not sure if it is justified.

This sometimes means a person of interest on the platform; as in police are on their way and the TTC's job is to make it difficult for that party to move without endangering passengers.

This sometimes means a person of interest on the platform; as in police are on their way and the TTC's job is to make it difficult for that party to move without endangering passengers.

It endangers passengers quite a bit when they run trains through the station trapping passengers on the platform there with a potentially dangerous person, with absolutely no explanation given or any evacuation.

It endangers passengers quite a bit when they run trains through the station trapping passengers on the platform there with a potentially dangerous person, with absolutely no explanation given or any evacuation.

Indeed. It could result in a hostage situation. I can't speak to the risks in all of the alternatives (I'm not a physical security guy) but the TTC mostly follows police direction in these matters, the same as they follow the fire chiefs direction in other safety matters.

I've witnessed (railfan seat) a T1 train take on 6 people who were trespassing at track level (train chased them out of the tunnel at Summerhill; they boarded that train), run doors closed through Rosedale, pull into Bloor with all doors closed but numerous transit control and police on the platform. It took about 4 minutes for the driver to discuss with police via his window to walk to the car and open that specific cars door for the cops to board and arrest the persons of interest. During that time a large number of passengers were trapped with the people about to be arrested.

Containment procedures seem to assume the suspect is docile or confused about what is coming.

I'm surprised how different some of these numbers for April 2014 are from the March 1, 2014 numbers that TTC released in September 2014 at http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=34b6c316f16e8410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

If you look at some of the TTC ridership analysis information for TTC published at http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=3b5874a21d6e8410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD it indicates that total Streetcar ridership is up over 50% in the last decade; which if accurate may explain why 204 new streetcars is no longer enough!

Ridership on the King car grew 13% in only 2 years.

This growth is insane. If this growth continues, we may need the western Relief Line sooner than we had previously anticipated.

This growth is insane. If this growth continues, we may need the western Relief Line sooner than we had previously anticipated.
As a 504 rider I agree that ridership is certainly up but I have VERY little faith in TTC ridership figures as they are based on - very occasional - sampling. When we see Presto on all routes I assume that the figures may be somewhat more reliable.

Imagine how much relief would be provided if phase 1 of the DRL went one extra stop west to Spadina? Two extra to Bathurst? I don't have much hope for this however.

We would still have 70+ onboard a streetcar having to wait as 1.3 people in an automobile attempts to make an illegal left turn.

This is why you see those huge LED no left turn signs going up. It is a big problem. Hopefully not every car is doing it knowingly and they will help.

rNcaSja.jpg

I think we should take it to the next level though: during peak rush hour have a traffic cop directing traffic at major intersections, who will strictly enforce the no left policy. I know some may see this as a useless waste of money, but I really think its the only solution to stopping left turners, and our other solutions are decades away (DRL)

I mean, it works in North Korea...

21054485012.jpg

Back