Toronto Lawrence Heights Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Context Development | KPMB

Posts regarding the first market condos at this site, The Yorkdale Condominiums by Context and Metropia, have been moved to a dedicated thread. We'll keep this thread for an overview of work going on at the site and for the affordable housing buildings.

So it begins :)
They are supposed to start demolishing the buildings next week. They are having some party to celebrate it.
I hope we are invited to this party! I gave them 3 deposit cheques already.
It is on Tuesday but I think it is being organized by Toronto Community Housing and not the developers of the condos. They are calling it a Demoliton Event. Think anyone can attend and it starts from 12 pm.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/13/lawrence-heights-tchc-revitalization-gets-underway

Toronto Sun: Lawrence Heights TCHC revitalization gets underway

By Kevin Connor, Toronto Sun
Updated: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 08:10 PM EDT

TORONTO - There were cheers and tears to mark the start of the demolition of an aging Lawrence Heights neighbourhood to make way for a revitalization project.

Crews tore down 22 properties on Tuesday in the Dufferin St.-Ranee Ave. area as part of the first phase of the project where 233 Toronto Community Housing homes will be replaced by 2021.

The $5-billion project will see the city and partners revitalize 5,000 TCHC properties in phases.

Some residents recently displaced for the transformation were sad about saying goodbye while others enjoyed meeting old neighbours and embracing the future.

“I feel good because I feel a part of this. If this is done right and people get to come back to their neighbourhood, it will be good for the community,” resident Jamiel Walters said.

Resident Kadden Banks has been part of the community planning for the Lawrence Heights housing project for the past seven years.

“This is a big day, but a sad day,” Banks said prior to the first house being levelled.

“As long as they stick to the community vision, this will be beneficial.”

As part of phase one, developer Heights Development Inc. (Context and Metropia) contributed $500,000 in scholarships for Lawrence Heights in 2013. So far 66 have been awarded.

TCHC has also created nearly 100 training opportunities in the area.

“The transformation of the Lawrence Heights neighbourhood shows how we can re-imagine Toronto and build up the city when we work together,” Mayor John Tory said.

“Through this partnership, (Lawrence Park) residents are going to get a complete neighbourhood with mixed housing, a new school, park and community centre. All of us have the right to live in a clean home and feel safe and secure in our communities and that includes Toronto Community Housing residents.”

The revitalization program is expected to create 5,600 jobs in 2016.​

http://torontoist.com/2014/08/lawrence-heights-poised-for-revitalization/
14049_masterplan-viewa01_lr03-21.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed.jpg
lawrence.jpg

The only thing I can bash about this project, is that 2nd photo posted by Solaris. That must be the most plain, uninspiring design I have seen out of any building built in Toronto in the last decade; but it's still better than what is/was there.

But in any case, I remain optimistic with this one. If we were to rank to revitalization projects of TCHC communities; i'd rank Regent Park #1, Alexandra Park #2, and Lawrence Heights #3 just based on designs and plans.

Last edited:
The only thing I can bash about this project, is that 2nd photo posted by Solaris. That must be the most plain, uninspiring design I have seen out of any building built in Toronto in the last decade; but it's still better than what is/was there.

But in any case, I remain optimistic with this one. If we were to rank to revitalization projects of TCHC communities; i'd rank Regent Park #1, Alexandra Park #2, and Lawrence Park #3 just based on designs and plans.
Lawrence Park, eh?

Caught right handed, thanks for the correction. There are too many "Park" neighborhoods to keep up with in the city.

I don't blame ya.

Alexandra Park
Bedford Park
Caribou Park
Centennial Park
Deen Park
Deer Park
Dorset Park
Dovercourt Park
Flemingdon Park
Glen Park
Grange Park
Lawrence Park
Ledbury Park
Lytton Park
Moore Park
Moss Park
North Park
Parkdale
Parkview Hills
Parkway Forest
Parkwoods
Pelmo Park
Regent Park
High Park North
Teddington Park
Thorncliffe Park
Topham Park
Wanless Park
Warren Park
West Deane Park
Winston Park
Wychwood Park

Hope I got everything :).

That was simply a "master plan concept" that can not be enforced... demolition will not happen unless someone buys out Lawrence Square from Riocan or if Riocan chooses to participate in the redevelopment

Last edited:
That was simply a "master plan concept" that has can not be enforced... demolition will not happen unless someone buys out Lawrence Square from Riocan or if Riocan chooses to participate in the redevelopment

Let's hope that they will - it's such a ghetto mall stuck in the 80's.

Thanks for the article on the front page. I have a question about a couple of the numbers. The article says it is a 25 acre community which, according to Google and others, is equivalent to about 0.101 sq kilometres. The article also says that "once complete, the new Lawrence Heights will house 16,000 residents..." Since that would be a density of just under 160 000/sq km, I'm guessing that 25 acres isn't the extent of the area covered by that population figure. Being the density nut that I am I wouldn't mind if it was, but does UT have an estimate on the actual final density when all is said and done? Thanks in advance.

Also, I agree with the sentiments expressed on Lawrene Square. If that could somehow be redeveloped it could do wonders for the area.

Marshalls and Homesense are opening soon in Lawrence Square. The mall is a great asset to those in the community.

Marshalls and Homesense are opening soon in Lawrence Square. The mall is a great asset to those in the community.

One of the problems of this entire area and the dufferin corridor is that the streets are jagged at intersections. I think thats how they thought that it would slow down traffic in the 1950s. Unfortunately all it does is make a bunch of T intersections and makes twice as many lights. Marlee just randomly ends at Lawrence Square and I believe that is a huge mistake. I like Marshalls and Homesense but they belong in the smart centre with Home Depot and Best buy on Wilson north of 401.

Back