News   Apr 18, 2024
 554     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.5K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

SkyriseCities.com and UT Forum Changes (Oct 9, 2015)

Just to chime in and agree with others, the Toronto tag at the beginning of every thread title is annoying. When I browse the forums I generally like opening all of the threads I'm interested in in new tabs, but because every page now starts with "Toronto" all I see are 20 tabs labelled the same. If the goal is to tag the threads surely there has to be a better way of tagging them than to have it in the thread title itself
Ditto -- having "Toronto" as the start of every thread title in the Urban Toronto forum is absurdly unhelpful. Surely this can be filtered out for this forum.

I generally like the changes. Well done.

My one concern is the old neighbourhoods forum. It no longer really exists. The neighbourhood threads are now at the top level of the new "Urban Life" forum, a forum dedicated to "Shopping, dining, entertainment, sports, festivals, cultural events and neighbourhoods". It would be really sad if we lose the focus on neighbourhood updates merely because the various threads get lost among unrelated threads about the Leafs, Nuit Blanche, etc.

"Retail" and "Out and About" are seperate sub-forums within "Urban Life" - why can't Neighbourhoods be a sub-forum too?

Just want to re-iterate what others have said about the local focus of UT's forums. I only really started reading UT a few months ago, and it's become one of my 2 sources of discussion for local news and issues with the other being reddit's toronto sub. I've been leaning more on UT than reddit though because the discussions, and the crowd here, is much more mature and civil.

My one concern is the old neighbourhoods forum. It no longer really exists. The neighbourhood threads are now at the top level of the new "Urban Life" forum, a forum dedicated to "Shopping, dining, entertainment, sports, festivals, cultural events and neighbourhoods". It would be really sad if we lose the focus on neighbourhood updates merely because the various threads get lost among unrelated threads about the Leafs, Nuit Blanche, etc.

"Retail" and "Out and About" are seperate sub-forums within "Urban Life" - why can't Neighbourhoods be a sub-forum too?

Good comment. Will take a look.

Ditto -- having "Toronto" as the start of every thread title in the Urban Toronto forum is absurdly unhelpful. Surely this can be filtered out for this forum.

Just to let everyone know we are working on a fix.

Since this (great) site is called UrbanTORONTO it is really quite unnecessary and annoying to have added "Toronto" in front of many threads. I could see adding "Hamilton" or "London" or "Beijing" to allow readers to filter these in or out but adding Toronto.... Grrrrr

Since this (great) site is called UrbanTORONTO it is really quite unnecessary and annoying to have added "Toronto" in front of many threads. I could see adding "Hamilton" or "London" or "Beijing" to allow readers to filter these in or out but adding Toronto.... Grrrrr

Check two posts previously.

I like this feature actually. Helps to ignore all the Hamilton, Mississagua and Markham posts.

Good comment. Will take a look.
I'd definitely argue for the return of Neighbourhood Node. It was a unique spot on the Forum and while not crazy popular, served a purpose for many. It will likely get dilluted in Urban Life.

I'd also argue that Out & About and Urban Life are pretty much the same thing and could be combined (while taking Neighbourhood Node back out).

Not liking these changes at all. Very unnecessary just because you want to build another site.
Also why take out the multiple storeys for multiple buildings? Now you just list the tallest one. Dislike!

Can we disable the "Height" and "Storeys" parameters in thread titles on Transportation & Infrastructure? They are entirely irrelevant.

In addition, the "Toronto" tag is far less helpful than the former "agency" tags. Everyone knows that Union Station is in Toronto, but not everyone knows how the revitalization elements are divided up between agencies.

For example:
"Union Station: Station Building Revitalization (City of TO, U/C)" became: "Toronto | Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s"
"TTC: Union Subway Station Second Platform (TTC, U/C)" became "Toronto | Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s"

Back