News   May 17, 2024
 2.9K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

Those are some fancy buzzwords you got there. Why don't we just remove the entire Gardiner and DVP? That ought to bring in over $20B in private developments, and that's before you add the multiplier effect!

Because I am not an anti-car yuppy zealot? That's your answer. If you got to engage in personal insults, you could have picked a better target.

AoD

Last edited:
I know that it's a bit of arguing in an echo chamber, despite arcum and DDA's contributions, but I thought this link floating around Twitter was great:

http://onestreet.org/resources-for-increasing-bicycling/115-traffic-evaporation

http://onestreet.org/images/stories/Disappearing_traffic.pdf

70 case studies showing that when you close a street, the traffic really does evaporate. The first link has further testimonials to various closures as well.

Only 70 case studies? Lets see what team hybrid has to say about that. I give you mayor Tory's chief of staff:

Screen shot 2015-06-05 at 3.25.14 PM.png

Screen shot 2015-06-05 at 3.25.20 PM.png

In other news, another 14 business leaders came out in favour of the boulevard today. They shall be ignored.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-06-05 at 3.25.14 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-06-05 at 3.25.14 PM.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 392
  • Screen shot 2015-06-05 at 3.25.20 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-06-05 at 3.25.20 PM.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 413
Only 70 case studies? Lets see what team hybrid has to say about that. I give you mayor Tory's chief of staff...

In other news, another 14 business leaders came out in favour of the boulevard today. They shall be ignored.

1. Yeah, I saw that Tweet. Hopefully, Chris won't come back to Toronto in time to 'contribute' next week. Yeesh.
2. I'm sure that Tory will be looking at that list of developers and discounting it because, y'know, they own land he plans to appropriate, so they must be wrong.

Only 70 case studies? Lets see what team hybrid has to say about that. I give you mayor Tory's chief of staff:

View attachment 47736
View attachment 47737

But the result was one of the nicest public spaces in the entire city:

10784428_87e338cb80_o.jpg

Traffic may have increased since the removal of the Embarcadero Freeway, but this isn't necessarily a cause and effect relationship.

Attachments

• 10784428_87e338cb80_o.jpg
    10784428_87e338cb80_o.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 369
I think it's pretty funny that we have developpers and MP's coming out and expressing their opinions about that Garinder, when these are the 2 groups we should care least about and nobody asked their opinions on the matter. Developers keep developing their garbage across the city and as long as they cant make fat profits, they'll develop where ever they see open available land. They've already started developing lands that have been heavily contaminated, so if they can do that I'm pretty sure they'll develop anywhere they see fit.

As for the MP's, I mean are they serious? I dont care if they are Liberal, Conservative, NDP, Green Party, or Independent; these are the same group of people who have crippled commutes across the region to the point where we are building subways to farmlands, and highways across farmland for "future demand". I'll give the Libs credit that they're trying to reverse the trend, but they should just keep their mouths shut and focus on their own highways. Or maybe they are interested in uploading the Gardiner? If that's the case we're all ears.

Yuppie was not meant to be an insult: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuppie
King West/Liberty Village is full of young urban professionals!

What did you think it meant?

Your original quote:

While of course transit delays are costly, they pale in comparison to auto delays.

While some yuppies may be upset that the King Street Car is full and they have to wait 2 minutes for the next one. People and businesses from all over the GTA have to deal with delays on the highways. Ever looked at Google maps traffic at 5pm on a Friday?

Does a 15 minute subway delay one day a month cancel out 30+ minutes wasted in traffic every day for those who are not fortunate enough to be able to live in the downtown part of the city?

I think you meant it as a derogatory term to lift up the image of the hard-working truck driver stuck in traffic and poor wage slave that can barely afford an Audi to get her from her monster home in Aurora downtown, while sneering at streetcar riders. What do you think you meant?

^ judging by the QQ revitalization, that area won't be nearly as nice even after Gardiner is removed. It will simply be a major 8 lane street with glass towers on both sides, and if we are lucky, a few trees here and there (no palm trees of course), and the dominate feature would be cement. None of the pretty features in the photo will happen in Toronto. We won't have a square like this.

as for the MP's, I mean are they serious? I dont care if they are Liberal, Conservative, NDP, Green Party, or Independent; these are the same group of people who have crippled commutes across the region to the point where we are building subways to farmlands, and highways across farmland for "future demand". I'll give the Libs credit that they're trying to reverse the trend, but they should just keep their mouths shut and focus on their own highways. Or maybe they are interested in uploading the Gardiner? If that's the case we're all ears.

Please don't upload the Gardiner. The last thing we need is to give the Province of Ontario another tool to muck around with Toronto's affairs.

Big surprise that condo developers who already own the land want to tear down the Gardiner!

Meanwhile the hybrid option is preferred by companies that form the backbone of Toronto and Ontario industry including:
Toronto Financial District Business Improvement Area
Ontario Trucking Association
Toronto Industry Network
Canadian Courier and Logistics Association.

Back