News   May 08, 2024
 356     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 443     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 662     0 

Yonge Street Revitalization (Downtown Yonge BIA/City of Toronto)

Just having the patios makes a huge difference. Of course Yonge is dead in the summertime when the only place to grab a drink is indoors at the bar. As soon as you give people (who already live or work right there) the option to sit outside they'll stay put instead of trekking out someplace else

The patios are great, but when they make this permanent, I hope they're much smaller, or what is the point in creating bigger sidewalks if they're used for chairs and tables? The point is to get pedestrians flowing.

A lot to absorbe there but the Planning Dept. is basically saying:

- There's no money for streetscape improvements except through Section 37 as new development is approved
- They don't really support pilot projects for reducing traffic lanes because it "requires considerable planning"
- They do not support setting back the new towers behind the existing retail strip, except for heritage buildings
- An HCD for this stretch of Yonge is "inapprorpriate" (WTF?)
- They are aware there are insufficient resources for designating new heritage buildings

So rather disappointing.

My question is did our new Chief Planner have a hand in this or not?

To be honest it does recommend switching the street from 4 lanes to 2. That alone would be a massive improvement, and I doubt they wouldn't take the chance to improve the sidewalks while they are it.

- There's no money for streetscape improvements except through Section 37 as new development is approved
- They don't really support pilot projects for reducing traffic lanes because it "requires considerable planning"
- They do not support setting back the new towers behind the existing retail strip, except for heritage buildings
- They are aware there are insufficient resources for designating new heritage buildings

So rather disappointing.

^= everything that is wrong with Toronto.

My new formula.

^= everything that is wrong with Toronto.

My new formula.

Well, sir, you've definitely got our callous treatment of historic buildings, our shabby public realm and, worst of all, our apathy and unwillingness to do anything except come up with excuses for why things can't be changed. That's the worst of Toronto all right.

If you add the fact that we have the worst mayor in Canadian history, are spending over 10 billion dollars in transit expansion to not really change things that much and have liquor laws seemingly written by a 19th century Methodist preacher you'd have it totally down.

Last edited:
I'm willing to make additions!! Einstein didn't come up with his formula on the first go-round I'm sure :)

So rather disappointing.

This is a fundamental miss-reading of the report.

"Ultimately, City Planning believes that the development review process is the logical tool for implementing many of the larger projects proposed in the Downtown Yonge BIA public realm strategy. Individual projects that do not fall within the scope of a new development can be achieved through liaising with the appropriate City division and could potentially be funded through Section 37..." (pg 3)

This is saying that streetscape improvements will be secured as part of the development review process of new developments. Where there are stretched of the street not subject to new development, one of the methods for funding streetscape improvements could be s37 funds from other approved developments in the area. This does not rule out council deciding to dedicate capital funds to streetscape improvements.

"Development and implementation of a pilot project to widen the sidewalks and reduce the vehicular lanes on Yonge Street may be useful in providing an opportunity for study and would provide input to an environmental assessment study. However, it requires considerable planning and assessment of impacts on the surrounding road network, and may not provide a true picture of the long term effects. The Celebrate Yonge Street Festival, which is planned for August and September of this year by the Downtown Yonge BIA, will provide some opportunity to assess the benefits and impacts of a longer term change in the configuration of this section of Yonge Street." (pg 5)

This is saying that pilot projects are useful, however, if they are going to be undertaken, proper resources must be dedicated to them in order to fully assess effects. Also, depending on the duration of the pilot study, it might be hard to assess longer-term effects.

"...the City of Toronto should amend zoning by-law 438-86 to remove the angular plane on Yonge Street and replace it with a blanket 7.5 metre stepback from the property line with heights to be increased from 20 metres to 30 metres in sections along Yonge Street... There may be merit in enshrining a stepback with a small height increase in the zoning by-law but it should be applied along a greater length of Yonge Street than between Gerrard Street and Dundas Street, and should be consistently applied." (pg 7)

A blanket stepback sounds to me like all buildings, not just heritage buildings.

"...an HCD would ne be an appropriate tool in this case as there is not a consistent heritage character along Yonge between Gerrard Street and Dundas Street. Heritage Staff are cognizant of the backlog in listing and designating new buildings due to low staffing levels in Heritage Preservation Services, and will be tendering a request for proposals to list outstanding buildings in the heritage inventory." (pg 6)

A Heritage Conservation District is a tool that seeks to enforce design and massing standards on new developments within and adjacent to the district in order to preserve its heritage character. As there aren't that many potential heritage buildings between Gerrard and Dundas on Yonge, and a process is about to commence whereby those few potential heritage buildings will be listed on the heritage inventory and thus protected, there really isn't a need for an HCD to protect those few buildings.

Other than consistently reminding council that the resources of heritage preservation services in particular, and city planning in general are stretched, I'm not sure what else can be done. Should staff write a report that recommends hiring more staff?

^Thanks for providing those quotes. I think they support the interpretation I have given. For example, writing that pilot projects "may be useful .... however ... " is a classic way to undermine the case for pilot projects. If Planning were behind pedestrianization, then they would already have devoted resources to making Celebrate Yonge a pilot - e.g. by gathering baseline data. Instead they're taking potshots.

Same with the other issues - if they were behind this, they would be describing ways to move forward there were NOT predicated on massive condo developments.

You obviously don't think the existing Yonge streetscape is worth saving. I think you are dead wrong. Here are some facts. Between Dundas and Gerrard, there are currently about 34 buildings.

Of these:

- at least 12 built before 1900 (probably more - facades are hidden)
- at least 10 built 1900-1950 (several with with Beaux Arts and Moderne details)

Only 2 buildings in this stretch are designated under the Heritage Act!

To say that the existing process is sufficient to preserve the Yonge streetscape is clearly nonsense. We need changes in the official plan, or blanket designation through a HCD.

k10:

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think the quotes I've pulled don't support your interpretation.

As for heritage buildings on Yonge between Dundas and Gerrard, I think that those that merit designation should be, however, I don't think that an HCD is an appropriate tool (as the staff report states) as there really isn't a consistent heritage character on this stretch of Yonge. This consistency is key in designating an HCD - as the heritage preservation HCD website notes:

The following two integrity criteria must be addressed to provide a basis for designation:

Visual, functional or historical coherence is reflected in the consistency of resources related to the cultural heritage values and character of the district. It can be determined by analyzing resources in a district to understand if there are common thematic, architectural or associative characteristics that unify, relate to, and communicate the cultural heritage values of the district.

Authenticity means that a district can convey its cultural heritage values through its authentic attributes. To be authentic a district should retain most of its original or appropriate materials, layout and structures related to its identified values. Where alterations and infill exist they are generally sensitive, compatible and reinforce the cultural heritage values of the district.

I don't think the buildings on this stretch of Yonge collectively achieve these two criteria.

AoD, 416: Well, it's certainly a question of how you read it. But bureaucrats in Canada rarely express policy opinions explicitly. The reports look neutral but you have to read between the lines. When I try to read between the lines, I would say that Planning wishes to channel condo development into the Dundas-Gerrard section of Yonge, they are not interested in preserving the existing streetscape beyond a couple of buildings, and they are putting "roadblocks" in front of pedestrians.

But perhaps this just reflects my impatience with Toronto's conservative planning culture. I'd rather see action than "study". If we wait and see on Yonge, before long it will be too late.

If Paris can do this to their main street Champs Elyssée, there is no reason why Toronto can't reduce Yonge to a single lane in the centre with wider sidewalks on each side of it.

This means all intersections will be built out, not like it is now.
7945662188_ce70d77de4_b.jpg

7945659200_978533dfa4_b.jpg

Back