News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 880     0 

Would you emigrate to Canada today

And Google is happy to allow Adblock on YouTube since it benefits them.
CPMs are down, but views are up. People are still making lots of money from YT.

Google is also experimenting with blocking ad blockers (warning users to allow ads and ultimately blocking video playback). They want to nudge people into paid YT Premium subscription. I think it is only fair enough.

It's hard to say- ultimately it depends on one's comfort level.

if you are moving from another developed country/are a professional in a developing country, but don't have a job lined up or have enough money to get onto the property ladder or be able to afford CoL comfortably- then the prospects are no so bright anymore. The prospects of wasting 10-20 years in the working class churn because your degree is useless is simply no longer appealing, especially as these developing countries have caught up to us (and offer even more opportunities in some cases).

If you're moving from a poor country/region, and are used to less comfortable conditions- then Canada will be a step up regardless. This is why for instance Indian student TFWs (often the children of farmers) are perfectly fine cramming into rooming houses, or how Africans are willing to undergo the asylum process, because Canada is still offers better prospects for them/their children than their home countries.

That being said, there are other reasons to come to Canada, like moral/political ones, along with opportunities for children. Ultimately the economic tide has risen along with most boats over the last few decades, so the purely financial argument for immigration to Canada is eroding.

Last edited:
I moved to Canada when I was 3 years old, so I had no involvement in the decision, but I want to move somewhere else, it's just a question of how to go about the decision and when.

All my family lives in Europe. In my 23 years of living here I've never felt like I've belonged here since I was self aware enough to have a concept of it. I've visited lots of family in the former Czechoslovakia, seen touristy and non touristy spots, that's definitely where I want to settle down given the option.

I moved to Canada when I was 3 years old, so I had no involvement in the decision, but I want to move somewhere else, it's just a question of how to go about the decision and when.

All my family lives in Europe. In my 23 years of living here I've never felt like I've belonged here since I was self aware enough to have a concept of it. I've visited lots of family in the former Czechoslovakia, seen touristy and non touristy spots, that's definitely where I want to settle down given the option.
As your neighbour (my family came from Austria) I feel exactly the same. I've longed to live there my entire life. It impresses me in so many ways that Canada simply doesn't.

As your neighbour (my family came from Austria) I feel exactly the same. I've longed to live there my entire life. It impresses me in so many ways that Canada simply doesn't.
Exactly this. Besides of course the BOATLOADS of history you see all around you, what impressed me most is simple glances into how ordinary people live. Having a strong public transit system, walkable neighbourhoods with everything could possibly need, attractive neighbourhoods, and the people on the whole seem to be less stressed and angry than in Canada (unless you go online, in which case they make Canadians look as tame as a pet rabbit lmao). Customer service seems to be based on actually doing that instead of forcefully debasing oneself as it is in North America - cashiers even get chairs!

For me it would be a small town in England, UK. Whenever I go back I am struck by how emotionally and culturally attached I am to the place and people. I wonder if Canadians of Indian, Italian, Greek, etc. descent living in a car dependent Canadian suburb in Brampton, Winnipeg, Surrey, etc. upon visiting their cultural homelands and experiencing the roots of their culture and way of life feel somewhat betrayed by their parents or grandparents
I have experienced this a lot. My parents immigrated from Portugal, and Italy.
We have been back, and I often have that feeling of connection to the culture, the people and the land. It helps that I am first generation born here, so the family culture we have here is similar to the culture back in Europe.

However, what I never forget is that the Europe they left is not the Europe that exists now. Portugal was under a dictatorship when my mother left. There was zero opportunity. Many people were coming over here as farm labourers.

My grandfather left Italy in the 1950s, after over a decade of hardship for him (he was in the Italian Army). There was huge migration happening in Italy at the time, from South to north, of people seeking new opportunities. Whole communities in central and southern Italy were gutted. I think something like 25% of families were living in poverty. A huge economic boom eventually happened in the 1960s, but for my grandfather and other people at the time, given what was happening around them, that was probably not a obvious conclusion.

Another thing that is especially important with migration, is that people often immigrated not necessarily along the best path for them personally, but along the simplest path. There are generally familiar lines of connection that attract immigrants to certain destinations, which drive decisions.

Last edited:
I have experienced this a lot. My parents immigrated from Portugal, and Italy.
We have been back, and I often have that feeling of connection to the culture, the people and the land. It helps that I am first generation born here, so the family culture we have here is similar to the culture back in Europe.

However, what I never forget is that the Europe they left is not the Europe that exists now. Portugal was under a dictatorship when my mother left. There was zero opportunity.

My grandfather left Italy in the 1950s, after over a decade of hardship for him (he was in the Italian Army). There was huge migration happening in Italy at the time, from South to north, of people seeking new opportunities. Whole communities in central and southern Italy were gutted. I think something like 25% of families were living in poverty. A huge economic boom eventually happened in the 1960s, but for my grandfather and other people at the time, given what was happening around them, that was probably not a obvious conclusion.
My ancestors arrived here about 350 years ago, but I felt at home in Paris as soon as I arrived. It was very odd.

I just got back after a 7 week trip to Europe a week ago. It's the longest visit I've had back home in 6 years and the adjustment coming back is not going well.

I miss my family, I miss the stunning architecture, I miss how relaxed and laid back everyone is compared to here. I go back to work tomorrow, where we never have enough staff, and customers and management are looking for every opportunity to crucify me. I need this?

From link.

Top 20 Safest Countries in the World (2022 Global Peace Index — lower is better):​

1. Iceland — 1.107
  2. New Zealand — 1.269
  3. Ireland — 1.288
  4. Denmark — 1.296
  5. Austria — 1.300
  6. Portugal — 1.301
  7. Slovenia — 1.316
  8. Czech Republic — 1.318
  9. Singapore — 1.326
  10. Japan — 1.336
  11. Switzerland — 1.357
  12. Canada — 1.389
  13. Hungary — 1.411
  14. Finland — 1.439
  15. Croatia — 1.440
  16. Germany — 1.462
  17. Norway — 1.465
  18. Malaysia — 1.471
  19. Bhutan — 1.481
  20. Slovakia — 1.499
Canada is the 12th safest country in the world.

America is the 129th. Russia is the 160th, while at the bottom Afghanistan is the 163rd.

From link.

Top 20 Safest Countries in the World (2022 Global Peace Index — lower is better):​

1. Iceland — 1.107
  2. New Zealand — 1.269
  3. Ireland — 1.288
  4. Denmark — 1.296
  5. Austria — 1.300
  6. Portugal — 1.301
  7. Slovenia — 1.316
  8. Czech Republic — 1.318
  9. Singapore — 1.326
  10. Japan — 1.336
  11. Switzerland — 1.357
  12. Canada — 1.389
  13. Hungary — 1.411
  14. Finland — 1.439
  15. Croatia — 1.440
  16. Germany — 1.462
  17. Norway — 1.465
  18. Malaysia — 1.471
  19. Bhutan — 1.481
  20. Slovakia — 1.499
Canada is the 12th safest country in the world.

America is the 129th. Russia is the 160th, while at the bottom Afghanistan is the 163rd.
The American stat is misleading. For someone like me, white, college educated and middle class the safety is about the same as Canada or any of the leading countries. There are two Americas: the poor and/or brown one, and the other.

For me it would be a small town in England, UK. Whenever I go back I am struck by how emotionally and culturally attached I am to the place and people...
My ancestors arrived here about 350 years ago, but I felt at home in Paris as soon as I arrived. It was very odd.
I have zero desire to live anywhere outside of the GTA, and that includes my parents "old country". And I feel no particular connection or inclination to visit there any more than I would with some other place.
On a related subject, I'm often perplexed by people at, near, or past retirement age expressing a desire to move to some small town in the middle of nowhere, where getting any place beyond the end of their driveway would necessarily require driving. That's the last type of place I would want to live, particularly when I think of us having to stop my father (in his 70s at that time) from driving against his will when he started regularly going through red lights, etc.

America is the 129th. Russia is the 160th.
The American stat is misleading. For someone like me, white, college educated and middle class the safety is about the same as Canada or any of the leading countries. There are two Americas: the poor and/or brown one, and the other.

Yup, and I think that safety in many large and populous countries is extremely variable- in the US, particular states and inner cities can be fairly dangerous, while suburbs are (unfortunately) fairly safe; while in Russia, the republics are sometimes what drive up violence rates.

On a related subject, I'm often perplexed by people at, near, or past retirement age expressing a desire to move to some small town in the middle of nowhere, where getting any place beyond the end of their driveway would necessarily require driving. That's the last type of place I would want to live
The high walkability score, closeness to railed transit (I hate buses) and the proximity of the nation's top medical centres are some of the reasons my wife and I fully intend to retire here in Cabbagetown. But I still enjoy the countryside, especially if by the ocean, and when I go to a seaside town in the UK I am somehow planted. My motorcycle club consists of mostly older guys and it's a running joke now on how many are moving out of the city and into Port Hope. Mainly they cash out their Toronto homes and buy something smaller, while keeping their doctor, etc. in Toronto within easy VIA rail reach.

One of these supports retirement.

score.jpg

port hope.jpg

Last edited:
I imagine perceptions of what a "small town in the middle of nowhere" can vary widely. It might come as a surprise to some that there are people who happily spend their entire lives in such a setting. Some people favour quiet, clean air and the ability to see that stars over other things.

I do; however, question the wisdom of of moving to the back-of-beyond at an advanced age. We recently moved from central to northern Ontario and one of the considerations was proximity to emergency services and healthcare (although we are having to find a new doctor, we can still access our current one electronically). Formerly, we were about ten minutes from a small hospital and about 45 from a large one. Now we are about 15 minutes from a large one.

Among my peer group, the trend seems to be to move closer to a child who can serve as a care-giver to some degree. Some towns are quite 'walkable' even though what one can walk to might be comparatively limited. Even without family, some may be surprised how much neighbours support each other. I imagine to some, the prospect of being holed-up in a lonely retirement/nursing home or hostage in a condo waiting for the elevator to be fixed are not how they see their senior years.

Among my peer group, the trend seems to be to move closer to a child who can serve as a care-giver to some degree.
That’s true. My mother-in-law’s friend just moved to northern Vancouver Island to be with their adult kids, notwithstanding that there’s nothing around and no medical services or transit for aging seniors.

Back