News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 535     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Wi-Fi service underground

I could POSSIBLY see why RIM would do such a thing (to increase handset sales), but all of the other companies would probably charge an arm and a leg just to use the wifi/make calls

i don't think they should monopolize wi-fi/cell service underground. If they(mobile service providers) wanted to provide the cell service they should do it be it should be seen as a service upgrade like expanding their network. Wi-fi is another issue. you get charged an arm and a leg for anything wi-fi (in public places at least)

if it's just used for texting and getting service updates and stuff, then it's alright...imo but if it was used to surf the net and other things, then i really dont see a point to it. also like others mentioned, calling on the subway can get quite annoying sometimes. imagine a subway car full of chatterboxes...

even worse ...

can you imagine all these people posting on the internet from portable devices on the subway with no punctuation or capitalization

if it's just used for texting and getting service updates and stuff, then it's alright...imo but if it was used to surf the net and other things, then i really dont see a point to it. also like others mentioned, calling on the subway can get quite annoying sometimes. imagine a subway car full of chatterboxes...

That is the genius of my Blackberry exclusive network (again...blackberries are used on all of the domestic networks so no company (not Rogers, Telus, Bell, Wind, Dave) gets excluded).....since it would just be blackberries it would be limited to pin-pin or bbm conversation....none of which are voice....all text all the time....so the TTC gets some revenue from RIM for the exclusivity....TTC customers get to keep in touch with the world if they need to.....no one has to listen to someone else saying loudly "yeah, I am on the train"....what a brilliant idea...really!

even worse ...

can you imagine all these people posting on the internet from portable devices on the subway with no punctuation or capitalization

lol yea i read about that in a newspaper how college and university students are failing because they used twitter too much...

@TOareaFan i duno, i never used a blackberry before, so i wouldnt know these details...but yea it would be pretty annoying to hear someone say, HEY I AM AT BLOOR NOW!! I AM INSIDE THE TUNNEL TALKING!! HOW EXCITING!!

Last edited:
lol yea i read about that in a newspaper how college and university students are failing because they used twitter too much...

@TOareaFan i duno, i never used a blackberry before, so i wouldnt know these details...but yea it would be pretty annoying to hear someone say, HEY I AM AT BLOOR NOW!! I AM INSIDE THE TUNNEL TALKING!! HOW EXCITING!!

Every time I ride the GO train I get a bit depressed about my social status. Seems that everyone on the train (except me) has at least one person who cares enough about them that they need to know that they are on the train!!

@noctis - this is my first post on UT....how exciting. I NEED to tell everyone about this! ;)

but back to topic, I agree that people chattering on the phone on the TTC can be annoying and I rarely do it, but at the same time I do use my phone "quietly" and would benefit from it. People in the London (UK) tube have been using their mobiles underground for years.

@noctis - this is my first post on UT....how exciting. I NEED to tell everyone about this! ;)

but back to topic, I agree that people chattering on the phone on the TTC can be annoying and I rarely do it, but at the same time I do use my phone "quietly" and would benefit from it. People in the London (UK) tube have been using their mobiles underground for years.

welcome to UT! hope u have urselve a good time here! and yes it would be nice to have a cell signal just for text messaging. but no chatterboxes pls...

The TTC shouldn't charge/earn a penny for implementing service underground. They should guide the phone companies in to add the service (i.e. infrastructure installation). Why does everything need to be revenue focused? The service is a service, we are paying $50 a month for service and we pay fees for improvements. This is an improvement, it's not something that the TTC needs to provide to us, this is for the major companies to say "hey, look we have service in places where other companies don't have service, come with us"

Last edited:
The TTC shouldn't charge/earn a penny for implementing service underground. They should guide the phone companies in to add the service (i.e. infrastructure installation). Why does everything need to be revenue focused? The service is a service, we are paying $50 a month for service and we pay fees for improvements. This is an improvement, it's not something that the TTC needs to provide to us, this is for the major companies to say "hey, look we have service in places where other companies don't have service, come with us"

The TTC should charge precisely because it is not something it needs to provide to riders -- because this is not part of the core service, they should make revenue from it, just as they do from the ads and snack stands. This would be an opportunity for the telecom companies to add value for their customers -- I don't see why the TTC should provide that for nothing, especially when they are so cash-strapped (and installation will not be free of costs for the TTC). I'd prefer to see them charge Bell or Rogers or RIM, and plough that money back into improving service.

actually I think if this was offered for free it would work extremely well in their favour, I mean can you go on wi-fi for free in your car? I don't think so..I think maybe the TTC should ask for a percentage of the revenue that the telephone companies are making, but I don't think they should be charging money for it independently like cruise ships do.

Back