News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 405     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Wi-Fi service underground

well RIM won't be able to have access to something that big. Didn't the TTC set out an RFP for wi-fi/cell service? or was that proposed? i can't remember.

well RIM won't be able to have access to something that big. Didn't the TTC set out an RFP for wi-fi/cell service? or was that proposed? i can't remember.

Even if there were an RFP who's to say RIM (or any other company) could not respond to the RFP with the proposal to pay a large amount of money to build an exclusive network?

I don't think it will happen because of, as someone else called them, the "optics".....but when transit is short of money I think this is an area where optics could/should be set aside for economics. If it were, for example, RIM and you did not have a blackberry you would be no worse off than today.....but the TTC could generate some cash. An idea I would look at for sure if it were technically feasible.

Even if there were an RFP who's to say RIM (or any other company) could not respond to the RFP with the proposal to pay a large amount of money to build an exclusive network?

I don't think it will happen because of, as someone else called them, the "optics".....but when transit is short of money I think this is an area where optics could/should be set aside for economics. If it were, for example, RIM and you did not have a blackberry you would be no worse off than today.....but the TTC could generate some cash. An idea I would look at for sure if it were technically feasible.

The reason why i said RIM wouldn't be able to set out a network "that big" is because they aren't a service provider like bell or rogers. RIM is a wireless/handheld device maker. Can they pay for the infrastructure? yes. Will they need to partner with a service provider? I'm assuming so.

it's a matter of figuring out how to wire all the tunnels in a feasible manner. "The system will cost about $30-million and the cellphone carriers will likely foot the bill to install it, Mr. Giambrone said; installation could take two to three years."

The reason why i said RIM wouldn't be able to set out a network "that big" is because they aren't a service provider like bell or rogers. RIM is a wireless/handheld device maker. Can they pay for the infrastructure? yes. Will they need to partner with a service provider? I'm assuming so.

it's a matter of figuring out how to wire all the tunnels in a feasible manner. "The system will cost about $30-million and the cellphone carriers will likely foot the bill to install it, Mr. Giambrone said; installation could take two to three years."

RIM could do it and provide anyone with a blackberry access to their BBM service while on the tube. That would mean any user (no matter what service provider they were with) could keep in touch and RIM would not be favouring one provider over another (after all they all have some sort of b'berry offering)....it would mean though that if you had picked an Iphone or some other device rather than a b'berry you would continue to be out of touch whilst in transit (no matter which provider you picked).

It would have the added benefit of limiting the service to messaging rather than chatting/gabbing away....and it is a bit of a uniquely patriotic canadian solution!

It would have the added benefit of limiting the service to messaging rather than chatting/gabbing away....and it is a bit of a uniquely patriotic canadian solution!
Given that Bell and Rogers (among others) are also Canaidan, then it hardly seems unique.

Given that Bell and Rogers (among others) are also Canaidan, then it hardly seems unique.

The uniquely Canadian thing is that it would only be accesible by handsets made by Canadian based RIM (ie. at the exclusion of Apple's Iphones...Samsung devices...etc etc.).

Bell and Rogers both sell and distribute RIM products so their customers would not be excluded.

The uniquely Canadian thing is that it would only be accesible by handsets made by Canadian based RIM (ie. at the exclusion of Apple's Iphones...Samsung devices...etc etc.).

Bell and Rogers both sell and distribute RIM products so their customers would not be excluded.

It's still not really technically feasable, and they'd have to set up all new infrastructure in a decade after RIM blows all their money trying (and failing) to break into the consumer market again and again and again.

It's still not really technically feasable, and they'd have to set up all new infrastructure in a decade after RIM blows all their money trying (and failing) to break into the consumer market again and again and again.

As I noted in my first post on the subject, I had no idea if it were technically feasible (extent of my techie know how is knowing how to get words to bold on this board).

I think your pessimism on RIM is a bit overstated

Just popped my Blackberry open; made in Mexico. Battery made in China. I'm sure there is some manufacturing in Canada, but it's hardly exclusive, even for Canadian phones.

Just popped my Blackberry open; made in Mexico. Battery made in China. I'm sure there is some manufacturing in Canada, but it's hardly exclusive, even for Canadian phones.

Honda makes cars in Aliston but they are still a Japanese car company. RIM is (as I said) "Canadian based"....so they are Canadian...no where did I say the actual product was manufactured here....but a lot of the jobs that the company creates are here and alot of the capital they create makes it way back here (tsx listed company, head officed here, two main "guys" from here and live here).

I have never popped the back off of mine....I would not know how and even if I did I would be afraid of what is in there....all I know is it helps we speak to people and communcate non-verbally with people and there are no wires keeping me attached to a desk/wall when I don't want to be!

RIM is (as I said) "Canadian based"....so they are Canadian...no where did I say the actual product was manufactured here....but a lot of the jobs that the company creates are here and alot of the capital they create makes it way back here (tsx listed company, head officed here, two main "guys" from here and live here).
Same goes for Rogers and Bell. I'm not seeing the issue here.

I have never popped the back off of mine....I would not know how and even if I did I would be afraid of what is in there...
Really? You don't have to do the daily to weekly battery-pull to reboot it every time it crashes? You must have a different model than I do! The back cover is designed for easy removal - just like the back of any remote control where you have to change the batteries. The made in Mexico label is underneath the battery.

Last edited:
Same goes for Rogers and Bell. I'm not seeing the issue here.

Starting to regret throwing this idea out there...seems that I can't explain it properly. If my RIM exclusive idea kicked in it would be uniquely canadian from a hardware company point of view....it would not exclude Rogers or Bell or Telus users from using it but only if they had a RIM device because all that would work is Blackberry Messenger. So customers of all service providers would be able to use the system but only if they had selected the hardware that this Canadian Based company produced (at the exclusion of hardware that the service providers offer from non-canadian companies).

Really? You don't have to do the daily to weekly battery-pull to reboot it every time it crashes? You must have a different model than I do! The back cover is designed for easy removal - just like the back of any remote control where you hae to change the batteries. The made in Mexico label is underneath the battery.

Throwing it against the wall seems to work for me! ;)

Starting to regret throwing this idea out there...seems that I can't explain it properly. If my RIM exclusive idea kicked in it would be uniquely canadian from a hardware company point of view....it would not exclude Rogers or Bell or Telus users from using it but only if they had a RIM device because all that would work is Blackberry Messenger. So customers of all service providers would be able to use the system but only if they had selected the hardware that this Canadian Based company produced (at the exclusion of hardware that the service providers offer from non-canadian companies).

But RIM doesn't build networks. They sell devices. Carriers like Bell and TELUS and WIND build networks. Why would they build a network for just one device?

But RIM doesn't build networks. They sell devices. Carriers like Bell and TELUS and WIND build networks. Why would they build a network for just one device?

My idea was if they paid for and built a "blackberry only network" in the subway of Canada's largest city....a subway that brings a lot of mobile device users to and from work and brings a fair number of students to and from university every day...they would see a significant increase in their market share in the Toronto market.....that market share increase would be at the expense of their main rivals in the device/handset business. Clearly, I am the only one that thinks this is, either, feesible or smart ;)

p.s. it would be for all of RIM's devices (I think all their models have bbm).

Back