News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 580     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Why does Toronto always dominate the best cities list???

Not to turn this into another traffic thread but there are obvious bottlenecks along our major highways where were they to simply repaint some lines and shift over certain lanes, traffic flow would be instantaneously improved. Similarly, in the downtown core, how about some traffic light coordination?

Not to turn this into another traffic thread but there are obvious bottlenecks along our major highways where were they to simply repaint some lines and shift over certain lanes, traffic flow would be instantaneously improved. Similarly, in the downtown core, how about some traffic light coordination?

James, that would require foresight, planning, strategic thinking, etc. As you may be aware those things are hard to find in the offices that 'run' our (fair) city! Perhaps in 20 years things will change?

From the article, it seems that the BOT study ranked Toronto worst among the 19 global cities studied, but that's different from being the "worst in the world". I would also like to see their methodology.

Regardless, Toronto's congestion is severe and we don't need to be ranked against other cities to recognize that it is a problem that needs to be addressed.

True. My problem is why is our traffic on level with urban areas 3-4 times larger then us?

With the price of gas continuing to go up, high insurance rates, construction everywhere blocking lanes of traffic and the stress of driving in our "rush hour" twice a day we really need to enhance and expand our transit systems. If GO ran more frequently and to points beyond along with real LRT/subway service throughout the City of Toronto it would get a lot of cars off the road and reduce traffic congestion. Heavy traffic is one of our biggest problems here that drag us down in these polls. One of our other problems is our treatment of heritage.

Speaking of public transit, has anyone gone on any of Tokyo's extensive transit system? There are endless Toyko Metro lines all over the greater Tokyo area, not to mention about two dozen JR (Japan Rail) lines that are super-efficient and rarely late. It's amazing how they can co-ordinate hundreds of trains yet our TTC still struggles with 2 subway lines! And the Tokyo Metro and JR isn't even the extent of what they have. As mentioned earlier, it takes a unified vision to plan, strategize, and implement something with this level of success.

Speaking of public transit, has anyone gone on any of Tokyo's extensive transit system? There are endless Toyko Metro lines all over the greater Tokyo area, not to mention about two dozen JR (Japan Rail) lines that are super-efficient and rarely late. It's amazing how they can co-ordinate hundreds of trains yet our TTC still struggles with 2 subway lines! And the Tokyo Metro and JR isn't even the extent of what they have. As mentioned earlier, it takes a unified vision to plan, strategize, and implement something with this level of success.

true. I always wonder why TTC ran into so many "signal problem" when it has two lines only. What will happen if we do have someday 5 or 6 lines? How did London, New York, Shanghai, and Tokyo etc manage those system 5 times the size of ours?

Also the priority light for LRT is such a joke. Yesterday I was taking 510, and from College to King St, the vehicle I took ran into every red light between that short distance. I mean, literally EVERYTHING SINGLE ONE.

TTC apparently needs to learn a lot to be an efficient and world class transit. Right now, let's just admit it is simply bad.

I always wonder why TTC ran into so many "signal problem" when it has two lines only. What will happen if we do have someday 5 or 6 lines? How did London, New York, Shanghai, and Tokyo etc manage those system 5 times the size of ours?

The signal system is 50 years old with few upgrades. It needs to be replaced. Any system with this level of dated technology will have struggle the same way. Even London.

Also the priority light for LRT is such a joke. Yesterday I was taking 510, and from College to King St, the vehicle I took ran into every red light between that short distance. I mean, literally EVERYTHING SINGLE ONE.

The joke's on you. There is no active priority system with the signals on this line. Having signal priority is not in the TTC's control.

TTC apparently needs to learn a lot to be an efficient and world class transit. Right now, let's just admit it is simply bad.

The TTC is already well aware of all transit operations in the world. Constraints on it's operations and system expansion are not in its control. I don't admit it's bad. What we have can be improved to be better, but if it the 510 were bad, 50,000 people a day wouldn't be using it.

My problem is why is our traffic on level with urban areas 3-4 times larger then us?

Because owning and operating private vehicles in Toronto is cheap and easy. And outside of major arteries, the congestion isn't that bad.

Considering what the TTC does on its shoestring budget (compared to major cities), it's miraculously efficient. Solving the problem with streetcars in mixed traffic is simple...give the streetcars the right-of-way. But we juts aren't politically ready for that yet...it will have to be done by politicians who aren't afraid of making unpopular decisions.

One of our other problems is our treatment of heritage.

I can't say it's treatment of heritage so much as a broader treatment of history--that is, the lack of such things as a Museum Of Toronto, etc. (Which, in their turn, can feed the idea of "heritage awareness", of course.)

Plus, of course, the notion advanced by kkgg7 types that Toronto is or should be a tabula-rasa "heritage free" zone.

The signal system is 50 years old with few upgrades. It needs to be replaced. Any system with this level of dated technology will have struggle the same way. Even London.

The joke's on you. There is no active priority system with the signals on this line. Having signal priority is not in the TTC's control.

The TTC is already well aware of all transit operations in the world. Constraints on it's operations and system expansion are not in its control. I don't admit it's bad. What we have can be improved to be better, but if it the 510 were bad, 50,000 people a day wouldn't be using it.

I don't disagree with you. But googling to find signal problems with the London Underground is not gonna make the TTC situation look any better. London subway has the excuse of being 150 years old. We don't.
Our problem seems to be too forgiving about the mistakes and always finding excuses for the apparent failure. Such self denial is not gonna help but only makes any progress even slower.

Because owning and operating private vehicles in Toronto is cheap and easy. And outside of major arteries, the congestion isn't that bad.

Considering what the TTC does on its shoestring budget (compared to major cities), it's miraculously efficient. Solving the problem with streetcars in mixed traffic is simple...give the streetcars the right-of-way. But we juts aren't politically ready for that yet...it will have to be done by politicians who aren't afraid of making unpopular decisions.

When we talk about congestion, it is always about rush hour bottlenecks. No city is congestion 24/7 on all roads. So let's stop finding excuses.
Is owning and operating cars cheap in Toronto? Maybe compared with Europe. If you compare with similar cities like LA and Chicago, we are prohibitively expensive. Insurance alone is 2-3 times higher.

Customers don't care whether your problem is due to "shoestring budget". When it is bad, it is just bad. I would't associate TTC with "efficient" under any context. Not to mention "miraculously“.

I totally agree with you that politicians need to make tough unpopular decisions to improve things. Maybe start with making it ridiculously expensive to drive any private vehicles in downtown. Charge congestion fees, raise parking costs, enforce more severe punishment on violations. Making driving in downtown a stupid idea is easy. It only depends on whether you want to do it or not. Outside downtown, you would need to have a lot better transit service in get people out of the car. Right now, we are far from there. You can't have crappy coverage and low efficiency and speed, and expect people not to drive and take those buses to go everywhere.

I always think if Toronto is 5 degrees warmer in the winter, and have 2-3 times rapid transit, and its downtown cleans up a bit with better architecture, it will be perfect as a place to live. Fortunately, all the three above is happening now.
Go Global Warming!

true. I always wonder why TTC ran into so many "signal problem" when it has two lines only. What will happen if we do have someday 5 or 6 lines? How did London, New York, Shanghai, and Tokyo etc manage those system 5 times the size of ours?

Didn't they bring a guy from London to run it??? He should know.

...jobs find me here. i walk into a bar, and often i walk out with a business card or two.

Holy hockey sticks, me too! I just walked into The Real Sports Bar and got offered a job to be the starting goaltender for the Toronto Maple Leafs. It was that easy! (And if that doesn't work out, the Raptors are gonna be looking for a new coach in the next few weeks. The soccer club is also hiring - anybody ) This place rulezzzz!:cool:

Back