News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 616     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Why does Toronto always dominate the best cities list???

yes, Vancouver is grossly overrated. If I had a choice between Vancouver and Seattle, which is 3 hours away, I will choose the latter without a second of hesitation. The latter is tremendously cheaper and offers probably 5X more jobs. I have a friend with a phD degree working as a car salesperson in Vancouver. The thing is, if I am poor I won't go to Vancouver since there is no real jobs; if I am rich, God no. There are so many much nicer places on the planet for rich people.

Toronto is still affordable IMO and it probably will only get more expensive. It seems to be the only Canadian city that is livable all things considered (weather, urban feeling, jobs). Burlington etc are suburbs which won't even exist without Toronto. They don't count.
True True and Vancouver's downtown is full of condos. Not alot of business development for a city of 610,000. Mississauga has done better IMO.

I think it would make sense to compare larger cities together and then a separate study that compares the smaller cities. People that move to larger cities know that it costs more but deal with that to be closer to more things going on. The type of person that would prefer living in Burlington over Toronto or vice versa are probably looking for very different things.

I think it would make sense to compare larger cities together and then a separate study that compares the smaller cities. People that move to larger cities know that it costs more but deal with that to be closer to more things going on. The type of person that would prefer living in Burlington over Toronto or vice versa are probably looking for very different things.

you are quite right. I am tired of these "best place to live" lists dominated by unknown small towns with less than 200K residents. Last time, Kingston was voted number 1. what exactly does that mean, does it mean for someone who needs to move to a new city to live in, Kingston gives them the best chance of finding a decent job, buying a house and enjoying their life? Hardly.

I suspect these lists only consider numbers of hospitals, schools and crimes on a per capita basis and then whoever are on the top ends up "most livable". Isn't that ridiculous? How can a city the size of NYC for example, compete with some town in Vermont with 25000 people on a per person basis? How do people find jobs in those small towns? And even if they do, won't they be bored to death doing the same thing in the same stores, movie theatres and walking on the same streets every single day?

Like you said, people either prefer large cities or small towns. There is no point in comparing among them. It only makes sense to make a list for cities with over 1 million, between 500K and 1 million and less than 500K.

I suspect these lists only consider numbers of hospitals, schools and crimes on a per capita basis and then whoever are on the top ends up "most livable". Isn't that ridiculous? How can a city the size of NYC for example, compete with some town in Vermont with 25000 people on a per person basis? How do people find jobs in those small towns? And even if they do, won't they be bored to death doing the same thing in the same stores, movie theatres and walking on the same streets every single day?

True. What's even more ironic is that when a small town becomes a boomtown and can actually lure people with the promise of jobs, they very often become awful places which combine the expense and frustration of big city living with the boredom and monotony of a small town. Example? Fort MacMurray, AB.

True. What's even more ironic is that when a small town becomes a boomtown and can actually lure people with the promise of jobs, they very often become awful places which combine the expense and frustration of big city living with the boredom and monotony of a small town. Example? Fort MacMurray, AB.

Fort McMurray has become a hole. And crime filled now.

Back