News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 415     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

What's the nastiest thing you've ever seen on the subway, bus, streetcar or station?

I just felt like pointing out that GO isn't an intercity train. That is all.
GoTrain offers rail service from Toronto to Hamilton, Barrie, and Oshawa. A run from Hamilton to Oshawa would entail a trip of over 120 km with one train change in Toronto. Sounds like Intercity to me. Certainly if we compare to Europe, I've taken the ICE or Intercity rail in Germany for distances shorter than that.

However, I'll bite, let's consider VIA as our intercity rail. What do you think of having first and second class on that system?

Many commuter trains in England have first and second class. The ones that ARE equivalent of GO trains.

I could be wrong, but I understand the rule on many/all trains in London is that there is no first class on commuter trains during rush hours (people with 2nd class tickets are free to travel in 1st).

I kind of agree on the food ban, but don't ban small snacks and water, since some people have medical problems that require them to eat. A bit of coffee crisp is all right, but nothing too big

Be careful of what to ban. If there were a ban on eating large portions of food in the subway, then say goodbye to McDonald's in Dundas West and St. Clair stations, Tim Horton's in Pape station, and Cinnabon in Sheppard-Yonge and Eglinton stations. Small portions of food and non-alcoholic beverages should remain acceptable to consume to prevent the disappearance of Gateway Newstands (found in over two-thirds of all subway stations, with some stations having multiple locations) and Pizza Pizza United Way campaigns, as well as to fulfil the medical requirements of some.

Alcoholic beverages should not be consumed on the subway at all, since drinking in public space outside of designated alcohol zones is already illegal. A few times, I smell the stench of empty beer bottles at the end of a subway car. It would be bad to see a drunk person fall off the platform, not unlike what happened recently on the MBTA in Boston. Transporting it however should be acceptable (as long as it remains unopened). I am a teetotaller by the way and the smell of alcohol just fills the subway car.

I had an encounter with likely the same smelly elderly woman who was mentioned earlier. I've smelled some bums before on the subway, but she was the only one who made me switch cars. It was... penetrating.

Last summer a typical schizo crazy lady got on the subway, started yelling at the small children across from her. Their nanny didn't know what to do. This large man in a suit gets on at the next station. In about 20 seconds notices what's going on, flashes a detective's badge at her and goes: "that's it! Get off the train! Right now!" and she scampers off. He looked mighty pissed.

Several years ago I was taking the Greyhound from Toronto to Peterborough when I had to make a visit to the toilet at the back of the bus. After fouling the toilet I went to flush. The latch that empties the toilet's contents didn't release, even though water filled the bowl. As a result, the toilets contents flowed up and up and up. I returned to my seat only to see blue septic mixed with my messy poo flow down the corrugated lines of the bus aisle ever time the bus stopped and re-accelerated. The bus f-ing reeked! Fortunately I got off in Peterborough 15 minutes later. Unfortunately for those continuing to Ottawa...

Back