Project Essentials / dataBase – detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread  I  Real Estate Thread
Westlake Encore 
10 Park Lawn, Etobicoke
Developer: The Onni Group

Westlake Condos (The Onni Group) - Real Estate - | Page 2

Discussion in 'Real Estate - Individual Project Threads' started by Edward Skira, May 6, 2011.

1. yakuh

yakuh New Member

Hi Torontite. . I greatly appreciate your time and effort in responding to my post, discussing your experience with the Westlake building and even pointing out some comparison with the other condo buildings as well. I am a small time real estate investor focusing mostly in condo investments. I used to own few condominiums built by Daniels, Phantom Developments and recently by CentreCourt Developments which caused me a lot of problems but thankfully I was able to sell it few months ago with a good profit due to it's prime location (King St. West) and also due to the hot condo market. I bought a unit at Encore on a higher floor with an unobstructed view (west exposure) back in 2014 during the first launching of the project. My initial plan was to buy it as an investment but my frequent visit in the area last summer changed my mind. The area's green space, walking trail, natural habitat, water view and it's proximity to downtown attracted me so much that I want to keep my unit and move there next year. Of course I am aware that there are some challenges with the traffic and transit system in the area but overall I think it's still a good area to live. The retail shops at the Westlake Village is also a big convenience especially during winter. The entire Westlake Village project is actually the cheapest access anyone can get in terms of price for a waterfront living so like you I am not expecting perfection, but it's good to know that the building met the acceptable standard. I have no doubt knowing Onni's reputation as one of the biggest real estate builder in Vancouver.
    Once again thank you very much for the honest feedback. It is highly appreciated.

2. TheKingEast

TheKingEast Senior Member

Always nice to get reviews from owners.

3. Torontite

Torontite New Member

@yakuh You're welcome! I agree that the green space, lake and walking/biking trail is the best part about this area. I also agree the transit really needs improvement. It should be at least a little better next year when the track replacement is done and hopefully new bombardier cars start running.

West exposure is great, you will love all the natural light. Our current and new place are both south-southwest and the natural light is wonderful here. Unlike downtown, the buildings are farther apart and the expansive green area to the south will always remain because it's a natural wetland.

In case you don't know it, the old Christie lands on the other side of Park Lawn will be redeveloped by First Capital group which is known for its retail developments. I am hoping there will be a combination of shops, offices, and community facilities such as a school. There will likely also be more condos...(more urgent cause for transit improvements).

There is also an upcoming project to link Lake Shore to Queensway via a new walking/biking trail along Mimico creek.

May you be blessed with good neighbours in your new place :)

yakuh likes this.
  4. Fil111

Fil111 New Member

We will be neighbors! I have recently purchased a 560 sq ft unit from Westlake Encore. I requested the sales reps to send me a draft of the dimensions so I can start planning and was unpleasantly surprised to find that the space from wall to wall was only 475 sq ft. Did you find that your Westlake 1 condo was much smaller than the plan?

5. yakuh

yakuh New Member

Nice!!! Which floor are you and what is your exposure? My unit will be at 35th floor facing west :)

6. yakuh

yakuh New Member

Hmmmm! I just checked the draft of the dimension and mine seems like 501 sq ft. I bought a 1 bedroom 537 sq ft unit. I'm going to Humber Bay tomorrow for the festival, I might go to the sales centre to check this.

7. TheKingEast

TheKingEast Senior Member

Are they including the balcony square footage?

8. Fil111

Fil111 New Member

Ya I went to the sales office on Thursday, I dont think they are open on Saturdays. They are supposed to get back to me on Monday. For smaller condos like ours, loosing this much square footage is not good... Keep me updated, Ill let you know the reply I get.

9. Fil111

Fil111 New Member

Wow you will have an amazing view. I will be on the 29th floor with more of a North exposure. My balcony does stick out thou (It's a triangle) so I am hoping I can catch some of that west view haha.

10. Fil111

Fil111 New Member

They definitely are not including the balcony, that is an extra 90 sq feet for me. They made it very clear that the inside is 560 sq ft.

11. yakuh

yakuh New Member

In the unit floor plan there are indoor living square footage and outdoor living square footage. Indoor should refer only to the inside of the unit and should not include the balcony which is considered as the outdoor living space.

12. Fil111

Fil111 New Member

Ok so I got a response from the sales office: The square footage is measured from the exterior middle wall. Meaning halfway through the concrete is where the square footage actually starts. If you got a box unit, subtract a good 60-80 square feet in concrete and interior walling. Lovely.

13. yakuh

yakuh New Member

I realize that now. All the condo that I bought in downtown are smaller than its actual square footage. I used to have a 2 bedroom 740 sq ft unit at King st which I rented out and my tenant could hardly fit his couch and tv at the living room because the square footage was mostly eaten by the 2 bedrooms, kitchen and bathrooms lol. I guess we'll never win with this builders. Let's just look at the positive side of it. We will be living close to the lake with the convenience of metro, shoppers Drugmart, TD and other retails downstairs. Never mind about living in a box. You have a triangle shaped balcony that sticks out. LOL!!!!
    In today's expensive real estate market we are lucky to be able to afford a box with a balcony that sticks out

14. Fil111

Fil111 New Member

Lmao! that is quite true. 15 minutes away from Toronto and living on the lake? That's a dream. I'm still keeping my 65" TV.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 11:02 AM
  15. neuhaus

neuhaus Senior Member

Square footage includes half of the wall dividing adjacent units, and includes the entire wall if it is an exterior wall or wall dividing the unit from common elements (such as corridors, stairwells and elevator shafts). This is the standard for measuring floor area for a condo unit -- many salespeople don't really know this fact.