Westlake Condos (The Onni Group) - Real Estate -

Hi Torontite. . I greatly appreciate your time and effort in responding to my post, discussing your experience with the Westlake building and even pointing out some comparison with the other condo buildings as well. I am a small time real estate investor focusing mostly in condo investments. I used to own few condominiums built by Daniels, Phantom Developments and recently by CentreCourt Developments which caused me a lot of problems but thankfully I was able to sell it few months ago with a good profit due to it's prime location (King St. West) and also due to the hot condo market. I bought a unit at Encore on a higher floor with an unobstructed view (west exposure) back in 2014 during the first launching of the project. My initial plan was to buy it as an investment but my frequent visit in the area last summer changed my mind. The area's green space, walking trail, natural habitat, water view and it's proximity to downtown attracted me so much that I want to keep my unit and move there next year. Of course I am aware that there are some challenges with the traffic and transit system in the area but overall I think it's still a good area to live. The retail shops at the Westlake Village is also a big convenience especially during winter. The entire Westlake Village project is actually the cheapest access anyone can get in terms of price for a waterfront living so like you I am not expecting perfection, but it's good to know that the building met the acceptable standard. I have no doubt knowing Onni's reputation as one of the biggest real estate builder in Vancouver.
Once again thank you very much for the honest feedback. It is highly appreciated.

@yakuh You're welcome! I agree that the green space, lake and walking/biking trail is the best part about this area. I also agree the transit really needs improvement. It should be at least a little better next year when the track replacement is done and hopefully new bombardier cars start running.

West exposure is great, you will love all the natural light. Our current and new place are both south-southwest and the natural light is wonderful here. Unlike downtown, the buildings are farther apart and the expansive green area to the south will always remain because it's a natural wetland.

In case you don't know it, the old Christie lands on the other side of Park Lawn will be redeveloped by First Capital group which is known for its retail developments. I am hoping there will be a combination of shops, offices, and community facilities such as a school. There will likely also be more condos...(more urgent cause for transit improvements).

There is also an upcoming project to link Lake Shore to Queensway via a new walking/biking trail along Mimico creek.

May you be blessed with good neighbours in your new place :)

@yakuh Continuing our discussion. I have been living in Westlake 1 since Feb 2015. Our unit is owned by a relative, so although we don't technically own it, it feels sort of like we do. We were one of the first occupants - the place was pretty much empty for the first couple of months!

Before I give my opinion I should mention that I was born in Toronto and grew up living in detached houses. I also lived for ~1 year in a cityplace condord tower on telegram mews and ~2 years in a low rise apartment. I also have some experience in a tridel building built in the 1980's which my dad lives in. I am also a perfectionist and very sensitive to noise, etc.

With that as a reference I would say the onni building is slightly better than the others in some areas, and slightly worse in other areas. Here's the breakdown:

Elevators
- Onni has 5 elevators in Phase 1 which is much better than Cityplace which had only 3 elevators. There is often one or two elevators out of service though and it seems there are people often waiting for the elevator. I think this is typical for new buildings, unfortunately, as you mentioned. My dad's 1980's tridel building has 4 elevators and approx 26 floors and the elevators there are fantastic. They were recently redone though, so things could have been worse before.

Plumbing
- The plumbing has been very good in Westlake - no temperature fluctuations, good water pressure, etc. My dad's Tridel building has some major issues with temperature regulation and water pressure.

Floods
- There was one flood in Westlake 1 that I'm aware of, in the 2+ years I've been here and it looked minor to me. Compared to 2 major floods in the Cityplace building (with water gushing down the stairwell) in the ~1 year I lived there, I would say Onni's record is much better.

Alarms
- At Westlake, there were a lot of false alarms in the first 6 months or so, due to sprinklers going off accidentally. They fixed those issues and alarms have been under control since then. In the cityplace building, the alarms were more frequent even though the building was older. The worst was an alarm at 5am on Christmas Day. That was the last straw for me.

Insulation
- At first we had major issues with cold air entering the unit in the winter. We are on a lower floor, so the 'stack effect' is partly to blame. Under the warranty we had onni come several times to add extra insulation and sealing to the exterior and they have largely solved the issue. We never had a problem getting them to come and look at / fix things. Any remaining issues are due to the design of the building. Our unit has a wraparound balcony and after doing research I now fully understand the issues with this design. The concrete balconies basically act like radiator fins - drawing in the cold during the winter, and heat in the summer. Most units don't have a wraparound balcony so shouldn't be as much of a problem.

Noise
- I discovered this has a lot to do with who your neighbours are, and less to do with the building. I heard nothing in cityplace but I think my neighbours must've been quiet because other people complained about noise in the same building. In Westlake I definitely hear noise from my neighbours from time to time (when they are blasting music, I can hear it slightly through the walls). I can hear the toilet flushing upstairs. I can't hear people talking though. It is MUCH better here than when I was living in the low rise apartment which did not have concrete between units. I could hear everything there, including conversations.

Finishes
- You are correct, the finishes are basic. Onni also did not offer much in terms of customization - we had the choice of "A" or "B". I believe this is done to save costs. On the up side, there are no units with 'odd' combinations like I've seen in other buildings where purchasers think they can play designer.
- There were a few minor cracks and chips in the interior and onni promptly fixed these to our satisfaction.

Amenities
- They are amazing, best I've seen in Toronto.
- Love the retail shops downstairs, the convenience is really great.

Overall the experience has been good enough for me to buy a unit in Encore. However I am not expecting perfection.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

We will be neighbors! I have recently purchased a 560 sq ft unit from Westlake Encore. I requested the sales reps to send me a draft of the dimensions so I can start planning and was unpleasantly surprised to find that the space from wall to wall was only 475 sq ft. Did you find that your Westlake 1 condo was much smaller than the plan?

We will be neighbors! I have recently purchased a 560 sq ft unit from Westlake Encore. I requested the sales reps to send me a draft of the dimensions so I can start planning and was unpleasantly surprised to find that the space from wall to wall was only 475 sq ft. Did you find that your Westlake 1 condo was much smaller than the plan?

Nice!!! Which floor are you and what is your exposure? My unit will be at 35th floor facing west :)

Hmmmm! I just checked the draft of the dimension and mine seems like 501 sq ft. I bought a 1 bedroom 537 sq ft unit. I'm going to Humber Bay tomorrow for the festival, I might go to the sales centre to check this.

Hmmmm! I just checked the draft of the dimension and mine seems like 501 sq ft. I bought a 1 bedroom 537 sq ft unit. I'm going to Humber Bay tomorrow for the festival, I might go to the sales centre to check this.

Ya I went to the sales office on Thursday, I dont think they are open on Saturdays. They are supposed to get back to me on Monday. For smaller condos like ours, loosing this much square footage is not good... Keep me updated, Ill let you know the reply I get.

Nice!!! Which floor are you and what is your exposure? My unit will be at 35th floor facing west :)

Wow you will have an amazing view. I will be on the 29th floor with more of a North exposure. My balcony does stick out thou (It's a triangle) so I am hoping I can catch some of that west view haha.

Are they including the balcony square footage?

In the unit floor plan there are indoor living square footage and outdoor living square footage. Indoor should refer only to the inside of the unit and should not include the balcony which is considered as the outdoor living space.

In the unit floor plan there are indoor living square footage and outdoor living square footage. Indoor should refer only to the inside of the unit and should not include the balcony which is considered as the outdoor living space.

Ok so I got a response from the sales office: The square footage is measured from the exterior middle wall. Meaning halfway through the concrete is where the square footage actually starts. If you got a box unit, subtract a good 60-80 square feet in concrete and interior walling. Lovely.

Ok so I got a response from the sales office: The square footage is measured from the exterior middle wall. Meaning halfway through the concrete is where the square footage actually starts. If you got a box unit, subtract a good 60-80 square feet in concrete and interior walling. Lovely.

I realize that now. All the condo that I bought in downtown are smaller than its actual square footage. I used to have a 2 bedroom 740 sq ft unit at King st which I rented out and my tenant could hardly fit his couch and tv at the living room because the square footage was mostly eaten by the 2 bedrooms, kitchen and bathrooms lol. I guess we'll never win with this builders. Let's just look at the positive side of it. We will be living close to the lake with the convenience of metro, shoppers Drugmart, TD and other retails downstairs. Never mind about living in a box. You have a triangle shaped balcony that sticks out. LOL!!!!
In today's expensive real estate market we are lucky to be able to afford a box with a balcony that sticks out

I realize that now. All the condo that I bought in downtown are smaller than its actual square footage. I used to have a 2 bedroom 740 sq ft unit at King st which I rented out and my tenant could hardly fit his couch and tv at the living room because the square footage was mostly eaten by the 2 bedrooms, kitchen and bathrooms lol. I guess we'll never win with this builders. Let's just look at the positive side of it. We will be living close to the lake with the convenience of metro, shoppers Drugmart, TD and other retails downstairs. Never mind about living in a box. You have a triangle shaped balcony that sticks out. LOL!!!!
In today's expensive real estate market we are lucky to be able to afford a box with a balcony that sticks out

Lmao! that is quite true. 15 minutes away from Toronto and living on the lake? That's a dream. I'm still keeping my 65" TV.

Last edited:

Square footage includes half of the wall dividing adjacent units, and includes the entire wall if it is an exterior wall or wall dividing the unit from common elements (such as corridors, stairwells and elevator shafts). This is the standard for measuring floor area for a condo unit -- many salespeople don't really know this fact.

Back