News   Apr 25, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Waterfront Transit Reset Phase 1 Study

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 200 73.3%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 28 10.3%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.9%

• Total voters
3.6 million for design alone? its probably a $20 million project... wow.

Yeah it does seem like a lot, BUT one big issue is how the streetcar line would go over/under/through the entrance to the Exhibition GO station. I'd assume that is hard to design. Also for reference, the Cherry Street streetcar line cost $90 million to build, and only runs 700 meters. However there may have been other complications there.

I do think this would make sense to complete - operationally I think it would be beneficial to have a connection from the Dufferin Loop to the Exhibition Loop.

Woof - "...with a focus on alternative and private revenue sources" is a truly offensive acronym for "we have absolutely no credible plan to finance this project, as with so many others."

Is this new? I feel like it's new, and maybe stemming from consultations. I made some kind of comment relating to a smooth 'through' connection:

sGAlchi.png

Is this new? I feel like it's new, and maybe stemming from consultations. I made some kind of comment relating to a smooth 'through' connection:

sGAlchi.png
It has been floated in the past, but TTC & Metrolinx weren't open to it. We have discuss this idea here as well and it has legs. I think this was first looked at in 2008 or 2010 when East Bay EA surface.

To do this, will mean about 6 months of closure to connect the existing line to the new routing. The current routing would remain the same as today while the new routing is being built, including the new station.

This raise an issue regarding quality of service for the west end since it will have more than what is needed for the east for the next 25 years. This is the time TTC order the extra 60 cars as duel end to allow service to be terminated at Union using a 3/4 track station. This would mean 509, 510 and X would see duel end cars only. In the end, once the east end is built out, service will be higher than the west.

Bremner/Fort York line is still not needed and will have an operation issue for all lines. TTC wants the 519 Bathurst car to use Bremner line.

With this plan, it miss the opportunity to run service bypassing the Union Station to get riders to/from the east to/from the west faster than the plan route. Again, building the T connection at Bay could be done in the same time frame as the Union connection.

For Dufferin, I feel like it's a mistake to connect it to the existing loop due to the complexities of crossing the exhibition go entrance. A better move would be to service lakeshore/Ontario place and connect up by the princess gates...this would open echo beach and the future development at Ontario place.

For Dufferin, I feel like it's a mistake to connect it to the existing loop due to the complexities of crossing the exhibition go entrance. A better move would be to service lakeshore/Ontario place and connect up by the princess gates...this would open echo beach and the future development at Ontario place.
There is 2 thinking on going west.

One would see a new GO entrance under the TTC extension to connect to Dufferin as well continue west along the Lake Shore. This is the cheaper way of doing the extension.

The 2nd is the old 90's EA that will go alone Lake Shore 100% with a branch connection to the New Dufferin St intersection at the Lake Shore to the Dufferin Gate Loop or a branch line for 501/504..

We have no idea what is going to happen to Ontario Place and will there be a need for the 100% lake Shore 1990's idea??

Having both routes is the best way to go, as the 100% Lake Shore line would offer faster service in either direction than using the Ex Loop. It service the under service Waterfront to day.

You could run a branch line for the Lake Shore for special events; run a 501/504 to the Ex loop as well to Union.

The Lake Shore route opens up better access to the waterfront that not easy to get to today.

Don't forget that Dufferin St is to be extended to the Lake Shore with or without streetcars cars on it.

The only problem I see with putting streetcar tracks on lakeshore by the Ex would be the Honda Indy as long as the they keep running it it's not an option. I'm not sure what would happen with racing cars on streetcar tracks and I don't think Indy car drivers want to find out either. Plus any added streetcar service for such an event would be a big help to getting people in and out of it if it's on lakeshore it's closed for the weekend

Definitely my favourite by far, and I think it'd prove its worth on day one. Improves speed / efficiency / capacity, utilizes existing infrastructure, and the passenger waiting area would be much larger than the existing expansion plans and their cattle car future (or at least looks that way).

Is this new? I never heard of this happening
Been around since 2008 as how to transform the west end of the EX that I know of. It maybe around longer than that.

Back