490     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 850     1 

War on Traffic information campaign

kettal

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm working on making information flyers for the coming election season, emphasizing what needs to be done to solve traffic problems. Which are a hot topic now days.

Prototype Flyer

It's incomplete right now. I haven't fact checked either, so help on that would be cool too.

I don't want to get into complex details, which laypersons won't understand, just make a convincing argument for the importance of transit and cycling. Anybody interested in helping?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good! Though for that flyer/poster, you might want to make the font a bit lighter, it was kind of hard to see the writing.

People definitely need to be informed on the alternatives to driving throughout the GTA. I mean, bicycling is really such an easy way to get around, yet there's a serious lack of infrastructure almost everywhere in the city, and it's totally set aside as a recreation rather than a real mode of transportation. I think biking needs to get the most activism out there, because even in the winter it's really not that bad as long as the roads are properly salted and you bundle up.
Of course, other things need advocacy as well. All day Go service should see significant improvements to transportation throughout the suburbs, and should boost local service too. But still, a lot of people seem to think the common bus beneath them. I wish I could somehow get the message out to everyone, it's not that bad.

I really like that last part you have about thanking a cyclist though. If you could figure it out, what'd be really cool is a calculation of how much time a transit user/cyclist saves you on the DVP or QEW in regular rush hour traffic. I'm sure that'd open some eyes.
And I'm also surprised that the Yonge subway serves more people than the DVP. I wonder if, after reading that, people would start pressing their councillors for more subway expansion... Something as mind blowing as that might have a big effect on those people.

I'm not sure what I can do to help, but this looks totally awesome! Some things you might want to put in are:
-Average subway, Go Train, and Bus speeds compared to highway or road speeds, to give people an idea of the relatively small difference.
-The freedom and comfort of not needing to do anything on your commute to work except sit back and enjoy the paper.
-As said above, how much time every non-car commuter saves on major highways.

I wanted to make it look like an old style newspaper with WAR DECLARED style headline, but it seems I still need some practise.

Back