News   May 17, 2024
 550     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 399     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 4.6K     5 

VIA Rail

This is to the best of my knowledge the case for VIA‘s Pacific Central Station in Vancouver…

According to VIA's Triennial plan, they only own track in Ontario and Quebec, so VIA doesn't own the track at Pacific Central Station (though they may own the land the station itself is on). They do own the 0.19 miles of track at Gare du Palais in Quebec (but not the track on the Bridge over the St. Charles River just north).

I see trains all the time in Peterborough traveling I assume to Havlock and the gravel pits beyond. I also know a lot of people who commute 135 km from Peterborough to Toronto who would use this as a daily option. Same as the 110 km GoTrain Barrie to Toronto run.

This one goes past the old passenger station.

Here's the track being refurbed for CP's access to the Quaker Oats factory in Peterborough.

The tracks are there, and were used for passenger rail into the 1980s, see below. The tracks need to be refurbished to allow higher train speeds, but these CP freight trains above are no slouches. To claim that there is no viable track suggests there is none in existence or that ROW issues or dealing with abandoned lines would present challenges.

Via+rail+train+in+1981.jpg

Courtesy of https://www.ptbocanada.com/journal/...roject-through-peterborough-is-moving-forward

Peterborough to Toronto is approx 150 km, almost 50% longer than Barrie-Toronto. And Barrie-Toronto is already stretching the limits of what a reasonable daily commute is. As a passenger rail service (operated by VIA) rather than a commuter service I'd argue both are deserving of service.

According to VIA's Triennial plan, they only own track in Ontario and Quebec, so VIA doesn't own the track at Pacific Central Station (though they may own the land the station itself is on). They do own the 0.19 miles of track at Gare du Palais in Quebec (but not the track on the Bridge over the St. Charles River just north).
Should have made this clearer: I was talking only about the station building.

I understand that this is an important step, but with only 4 consortiums having participated in the RFQ (as I believe to have heard), the information value of today‘s announcement would still be rather limited…
At this rate they'll announce the winner just before the election to get their votes sweetener. Then once the cons get in this project will be shelved.... typical Canadian political bullshit. Hope I'm proven wrong

At this rate they'll announce the winner just before the election to get their votes sweetener. Then once the cons get in this project will be shelved.... typical Canadian political bullshit. Hope I'm proven wrong
Wynne was the master of this: suddenly propose HSR before one election - sit on your hands for four years - present shiny study ahead of the next election. One has to wonder if she would have even reached the RFP stage by now with her advancing her HSR plan in four-year intervals…

Bigger and just as essential projects have been shelved, certainly, but I'm actually optimistic that this project has gathered momentum. Unlike, say, helicopters or fighter aircraft, there is precious little controversy being voiced. The project seems to generate more "meh" than actual opposition.
The issue, as noted, is pace rather than cancellation. Consultations for example have a habit of taking a long time. And any substantive issue raised is an opportunity to require further study.

- Paul

Apparently, these are the three:

#1: CDPQ Infra, SNC-Lavalin, Systra Canada, Keolis Canada

#2: Intercity Development Partners, EllisDon Capital, Kilmer Transportation, First Rail Holdings, Jacobs, Hatch, CIMA+, First Group, RATP Dev Canada and Renfe Operadora

#3: Fengate, John Laing, Bechtel, WSP Canada et Deutsche Bahn.

Update: article in French: https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvell...bec?partageApp=rcca_appmobile_appinfo_android

Apparently, these are the three:

#1: CDPQ Infra, SNC-Lavalin, Systra Canada, Keolis Canada

#2: Intercity Development Partners, EllisDon Capital, Kilmer Transportation, First Rail Holdings, Jacobs, Hatch, CIMA+, First Group, RATP Dev Canada and Renfe Operadora

#3: Fengate, John Laing, Bechtel, WSP Canada et Deutsche Bahn.

Update: article in French: https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvell...bec?partageApp=rcca_appmobile_appinfo_android

Good find.

I don't think its the appropriate criteria for picking a proponent, but one of these groups employs a UT'er who could then feed us inside info..... LOL

Back